Reading 3FE engine codes at home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
[FONT=&quot]I couldn't find this on Mud. Thanks to Aaron (Mr 2FE), he put this together some time back. I have had several questions about reading the check engine light on a 3FE lately, so here it is. I'll be adding it to the FAQ.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Get a Haynes, Chilton’s, or a Factory Service Manual (FSM)[/FONT]
For the FSM call Toyota Publications @ (800) 622-2033

How do you retrieve the codes?

It’s easier than you think. Follow the following steps to find out how your engine is running.
  • Initial Conditions:
    • Battery voltage 11 volts or more
    • Throttle valve fully closed (TPS IDL points closed)
    • Transmission in neutral
    • Accessories switched “OFF”
    • Engine at normal operating temperature
  • Turn the ignition switch “ON”. DO NOT START ENGINE
  • Using a jumper wire, connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the check connector.
  • Read the diagnostic code as indicated by the number of flashes of the “Check Engine” warning light.
There will be a series of flashes. For example, if your ECU showed an error code 13 you would see one flash a pause and then three more flashes. Then a pause of 2.5 seconds and you would see the single flash again then a short pause then the three flashes again. Have a pen a paper ready to write when the light starts to flash.

The codes are in your manual.

Last edited:
Pictures of were the jump wire goes would be the best so I know exaclty were to put it. I need to do this and figure out why my light is on and get it fixed

This is really about as simple a process as you can find. Jump Te1 and E1. They're labeled. Trust me, pictures really aren't necessary.

Mark...

I found the pictures and the whole works
and descriptions on birfield.com it is really
easy to do. It is all spelled out for you there

Are the codes the end word in diagnosis? I mean, are they always right?

They're always right. But they are not the sort of thing that lets you fix an exact problem after seeing a code. More like very helpful hints to know where to start, or know that youc an rule something out.

SOmetimes the code will tell you of a problem you didn't even know existed.

In some cases the code will tell you exactly which part needs to be replaced, or which circuit has failed. But don't assume it will be that simple.

Mark...

Were at on birfield was looking on there I couldnt find it. I must not be as good of a searcher as you. I am a member to so that shouldnt be a reason. I am still looking though.

Never mind on that one I think I figured it out. How can you tell if there is more then one code tripped. Will it just go right on to the next number after it is done with the first one? There could be multiple ones wrong with mine, I sure hope not though.

The first code will flash first. Then a pause and the second will start. It will cycle through all the codes and then start over.

Mark...

No, that would complicate the already very simple.

This is the easiest thing to do, ever. If you can fill your gas tank you can read the codes.

Why not wire a toggle switch into the circuit?

That'd sure simplify things long term.

If you swapped a 3FE (or 2FE) into something else, the plug might not be anywhere near the check engine light. By wiring a simple toggle into the circuit, you could just flick a switch and read the codes.

Even on a '62, it'd be easy to do. Splice into the wires before the plug.

The plug is nowhere near the check engine light anyway. ;)

It is under the hood one the passenger side of the firewall.

A switch would not be a bad idea. But at the same time it is not something you need to do often, and as mentioned it is pretty simple, so...

Mark...

Pictures are Up

Now the picture is up there.

Link: TE1 & E1

Picture:
TE1E1.jpg

And also with the wire in:
With Wire

Last edited:
The thing lit up like a christmas tree. There are three codes that were tripped 25, 26, and 28. Anybody have any good suggestions on how to fix these. I am not thinking it is as easy as replacing the oxygen sensor but I hope it is.

I am getting this thing figured out. There was a ground that was tucked away under the intake so I bolted up and it got rid of those. Now it is just code 28. Would that be the cat or the oxygen sensor.

Correction the hole is after the cats and right before the connection that goes to the muffler. I am thinking I need to fix the hole for everything to be cleared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom