Re-tumbling Ignition Lock (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I tried to find specific info on this thread but was unsuccessful and need the help of the forum!

I purchased an LC100 used, and it is a 1998. I noticed I couldn't lock or unlock the glovebox or the doors because the ignition switch was changed out by the previous owner. So I had toyota cut me a key based on the VIN # and now the key words in the doors and glovebox and not the ignition (obviously) has anyone heard or re-tumbling a 1998 LC100 without paying the 700 bucks toyota has quoted me for it!

I want currently have two blank, remote/fob keys that I wish to get cut and programed for the car but not sure if a locksmith will be able to do this and if I will be able to program the key myself just by using the car.

Anyone done this before?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I tried to find specific info on this thread but was unsuccessful and need the help of the forum!

I purchased an LC100 used, and it is a 1998. I noticed I couldn't lock or unlock the glovebox or the doors because the ignition switch was changed out by the previous owner. So I had toyota cut me a key based on the VIN # and now the key words in the doors and glovebox and not the ignition (obviously) has anyone heard or re-tumbling a 1998 LC100 without paying the 700 bucks toyota has quoted me for it!

I want currently have two blank, remote/fob keys that I wish to get cut and programed for the car but not sure if a locksmith will be able to do this and if I will be able to program the key myself just by using the car.

Anyone done this before?

Thank you!

Yeah the ignition can be recoded, either DIY (but you would need a kit with all the different sized tumblers, sometimes you can get away with just filing) or by a competent locksmith.

I have done this myself for other vehicles but not the LC.

The procedure generally is, remove lock core from the ignition so that you can see tumblers. Then you put the key that operates the lock in. All tumblers should be flush (thus allowing lock core to rotate). Now remove that key and put the key you want to use to operate the lock. You'll notice that some are recessed and some are sticking out. You need to replace the tumblers so that they are all flush. To replace tumblers you have to remove a retaining clip/rod/pin and when you're done reassemble.

Some Toyota specific details here...

Also a video here...

I would do the following...

- Have ignition recoded to fit the key you had cut based on VIN (DIY or Locksmith)
- Have 2 new blank-remote keys cut to match the VIN based (Locksmith)
- Program immobilizer to accept 2 newly cut remote keys (DIY - there are instructions here and elsewhere, no tools required)
- Program keyless entry system to accept 2 newly cut remote key fobs (DIY - there are instructions here and elsewhere, no tools required)

Yeah the ignition can be recoded, either DIY (but you would need a kit with all the different sized tumblers, sometimes you can get away with just filing) or by a competent locksmith.

I have done this myself for other vehicles but not the LC.

The procedure generally is, remove lock core from the ignition so that you can see tumblers. Then you put the key that operates the lock in. All tumblers should be flush (thus allowing lock core to rotate). Now remove that key and put the key you want to use to operate the lock. You'll notice that some are recessed and some are sticking out. You need to replace the tumblers so that they are all flush. To replace tumblers you have to remove a retaining clip/rod/pin and when you're done reassemble.

Some Toyota specific details here...

Also a video here...

I would do the following...

- Have ignition recoded to fit the key you had cut based on VIN (DIY or Locksmith)
- Have 2 new blank-remote keys cut to match the VIN based (Locksmith)
- Program immobilizer to accept 2 newly cut remote keys (DIY - there are instructions here and elsewhere, no tools required)
- Program keyless entry system to accept 2 newly cut remote key fobs (DIY - there are instructions here and elsewhere, no tools required)

You are the man! I am going to take this one this week and post an update, thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom