Re-purposing gear while out camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
After many years of camping & refining 'tools' for the oz bush I still dream up new uses for stuff that I take.

Couple or so months ago my older son who had just graduated from uni and I visited oz and I had a chance to take him out and see many of my old haunts and some new as well. 3 1/2 weeks together exploring a sliver of the western oz outback.

Anyhow, I took a bunch of videos and put together a short bit showing one camp spot that is brilliant due to there being a rain water tank there. Water is a precious commodity once out in the desert areas. We recycled a bit of the junk that is out around the tank to make our cooking area a little more civilized.

This location is quite remote and the nearest town is around is about 130 miles away via dirt tracks. Pic of some of the track we drove over to get to this remote spot. This is a spinifex area - it's a very obnoxious desert grass that has caused more than a few vehicle fires.

thtrack.jpg

And here's our camp spot and having some fun making breakfast and collecting firewood.

I know a lot of folk take the kitchen sink with them (we found one at the camp site) :)

So, what not obvious use do you make of stuff that you take out camping?

cheers,
george.

Love the drill - why not make use of it?

Of course I like my pancakes thin so I'd bring a nice whip for it.

I don’t camp where there are piles of stuff left behind, I have collected up the odd
canvas tarp, axe and tent pegs etc

The hex key was chromed and with a nice flat bottom, so worked well to get to the bottom of the mix and into the outer edge of the pot :)

The drill is a 12V dewalt (ebay $25,, new with no battery/charger) that I removed the battery portion of the housing and run direct from vehicle +12V so no charger etc needed.

cheers,
george.

So, what not obvious use do you make of stuff that you take out camping?
I use my DIY alum sliding shelves on the rear of the rig and can use them as tables away from the rig.
1586205130660.png
1586205162294.png

I also use my Zodi Extreme shower burner for my poor man's version of the diskada.
1586204943059.png
1586205033697.png
1586205081382.png

I was looking for some good stakes for tents or awnings to hold up in the wind having only sand or soft soil in your campsite. I got an idea to try using a dog tether stake that you can buy at any pet store, hardware or dept store with a pet section for $3 or $4 USD. They work surprisingly well. Using a rubber mallet, pound it into the sand or soft soil a couple inches. Then take your hammer handle and use it as a lever to screw the stake into the ground as far as you think you'll need it. I've collected about 8 of 'em for my awning and whatever else the wind is having it's way with.

IMG_0414a.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom