Re-Paint '98 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok,

I got my first LC about two monthes ago. It is a '98 and everything about it checked out mechanically. But the paint color still is not to my liking and there are the normal paint chips and small dings from being 9 years old. It is the dark gray color, I don't know the name, with grey interior.

I really was looking for a white one to hide dirt, but since my previous F150 was totaled, I needed a new rig and insurance had stopped paying for the rental.

So the question. When it comes time to sell this 100, will switching from dark grey to Cruiser white hurt me? I am assuming a $900 to $1,200 paint job. So it will not be a strip everything off type of job, so I know the engine bay will not be painted, or areas near trim seals etc.

So I know staying factory grey is best, but as long as the road chips and minor dings are cleaned up, will the new color work against me at the time of sale?

Thanks

The new paint will be cheap and look cheap. That will be reflected in the resale value. It will also look like it had major damage that had to be covered up. Even paint by an excellent body shop will not be as good as factory and excellent costs big bucks.

I always liked my grey blazer because I thought it hid the dirt well. Maybe the cruiser gray is too dark for that.

If you want to change the look of the truck I think something like sliders, a snorkle, ARB bumber, driving lights or even bling wheels would make more sense.

If you have to get rid of the grey, (I wish I had grey, I have panel van white!) consider a vinyl wrap. It can be absolutely whatever you want and when you need to resell or you tire of the scheme you just pull it off. It does not damage the paint and can actually protect against scratches ect.

67939004-M.jpg

Sorry about the Rover but it was the only non-commercial wrap I found on an SUV that wasn't a camo scheme. (EPA warning - Do not park Rovers over grass or anywhere where the leaking oil can find it's way into fresh water supplies.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the job you'll get for $900-1200 will look cheap, and will definitely hurt the resale value of the car. Many people (myself included) would not really consider a vehicle that's been repainted, especially if it's poorly done. I was considering buying my mom's old Miata a few years back and getting it repainted. My favorite body shop quoted $4500 for the job. Needless to say I didn't do it. Most of that is labor and not paint, but a LC should be at least that much to get done right.

The other problem with repainting: each body panel has a VIN sticker on it. Painting will mask these, and also mask any body repair history in the eyes of the buyer.

PS - Medium metallic gray and metallic beige hide dirt better than white.

Yeah I second what Dr says. You'll hurt the resale value of the vehicle, also peps will be asking themselves whats he hiding, trying to cover up.
So suck it up and keep the oem color. Or sell and buy the color you like.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I kind of knew in my heart that it would take many thousands more to get the new paint job just right. So it will be dark grey for a long while.

(EPA warning - Do not park Rovers over grass or anywhere where the leaking oil can find it's way into fresh water supplies.)
:D :D :D :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D :D :D
:popcorn: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

haha awesome!

Anyways, i might look into this vinyl wrap for my truck. Would prevent scratch's if i decide to go and wheel with macneill again. I tried to stay off the last run that was really tight on the trees but they talked me into it...grrr

I'd figure at least $5K+ for a decent paint job. To do it right, they'll have to remove all the glass, door panels, etc. You can have the dinged hood and side mirrors painted for less, maybe $1.5k for the same color. They'd probably strip off the paint from the front of the hood and clear coat from all of it plus half the front quarter panels and blend it in.

Spend a few hundred on paintless dent removal, hire a professional who can do touch up paint and a complete detail job. It'll look a whole lot better than a cheap paint work.

had the hood repainted on my DD cuz of a branch that fell on it.
Decent shop.
Well, 4 years later, it started to crack.... :mad:

Even minor paintwork on a vehicle will reduce the resale value. A repaint of the entire vehicle will 10 times worse.

It's my '98 and part of the issue besides not being a big fan of darker colors is that the PO already had done some paint work. First I thought he was obsessed with using Toyota touch up paint on the road chips. It was only after the sale that I realized that he had the whole thing repainted instead of just doing the road chips. Now the paint is peeling and chipping at door edges etc.

I am going to give the PO a call to see if I can get the whole story, but two or so months after a private party sale, I really don't have much leverage. It is mechanically sound and the interior is in amazing shape (which is why in hind sight I ignored what I thought were the remnants of leftover wax in seams and crannies, but it turned out to be some overspray and primer).

Now you have to be down on your hands and knees to see this stuff. So from a couple of feet away no issue NOW, but later, I know it will need paint again.

So I am looking at the upside. This truck was purchased to be my dd, but not a mall queen. I am going to wheel it, and Baja pinstripping has been part of my previous trucks past, but they were white. So a proper paint job will probably never grace this 100. A $3K to $5K paint job doesn't make sense if it just gets scapped off next week.

So, next crusier will be inspected to the nines, and I'll just see what it looks like in a few years. Heck, if I keep it long enough it will be considered a classic and I can do a complete frame off restoration.

Thanks for listening

FWIW, I did come fairly close to buying an 80 that was fully repainted (sloppily). Main reason was that I figured that this way I would not freak out about running it hard and banging the metal and I would in fact be able to enjoy it more on the trail (in a devious sort of way). Of course, I had seen that it was repainted and I took that very much into account in my offer (which was correspondingly much lower than normal blue book). So far so good, but then it turns out upon later inspection that there was also some mechanical issues (not unlikely if the paint job was cheap if it reflects the PO attitude), so I dropped it.

Not to make you feel bad, on the contrary, just saying that having a repaint job is not necessarily a terrible thing for a buyer, as long as the price reflects it. FWIW, finally, I ended up getting a mint 80 and a few days later got a door ding and a guy running a red light scraped my front bumper some... aaargh....

The funny thing is, when I see all the great pictures of people wheeling here, I know that there must be a whole lot of painting going on peoples 1/4 panels.

I think we all just like to pick up our own dings and dents so we know where they came from. So I am just going to enjoy it and worry as much off road or at the mall.

The complete paint job for the exterior is around $5K, which I was quoted a few years ago, especially if you wnat to change color, they may charge you a few thousand more, since they may have to paint the engine bay & indoor frames. Most small body shops will not do full size SUV, due to time consuming.

It's my '98 and part of the issue besides not being a big fan of darker colors is that the PO already had done some paint work. First I thought he was obsessed with using Toyota touch up paint on the road chips. It was only after the sale that I realized that he had the whole thing repainted instead of just doing the road chips. Now the paint is peeling and chipping at door edges etc.
Given this new information, I say paint it! Heck the 98's will only be worth $10k in a couple of years anyway.

My friend bought a new heep years back in a semi-flat navy blue. I thought it looked great. Won't show dirt and nor scratches. I say semi-flat because it did not look like primer but had a slight sheen to it.

To go back to original question; there are SO MANY white 98s and 99s out there so apart from a lousy paint job, you'd end up with a car like "everyone else".

I was looking for a grey or copper metallic, but mine (WHITE), just sort of popped up and at that price amd condition, it was hard to argue about the color. Looking back, even though I don't like white, my last three cars have all beeen white...

To go back to original question; there are SO MANY white 98s and 99s out there so apart from a lousy paint job, you'd end up with a car like "everyone else".
x2, so if you are going to paint it, paint it like no other LC.

x2, so if you are going to paint it, paint it like no other LC.

My girls want some form of Barbie pink or purple. Maybe I'll do that whole Barbie theme and then store the LC in the garage until my daughters 16th birthday.

By then I'll need a good laugh.

Thanks all

Has there ever been a LC meet and greet where everyone just sands down a rig? :)

thats taking the pink pantie cruiser to the max, lol. Maybe if you do a full build you could get away with doing it in pink/purple as we all would understand why and would laugh with you every time. Meanwhile the guys in the heeps on the trails would laugh at you till you ran your 100 up some crazy twisted up trail and left them behind.

Funny mentioned that. My girls also want the Landcruiser to be pink/purple. I think they decided on Pink with purple flowers. I think i'll stick with Black though.

I would recommend doing what makes you happy. I'm sure you know it could lose value on-resale from a knowledgeable buyer, however it also may retain some value from a less knowledgeable one who thinks it looks good for the age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom