Re-gearing causes ABS trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just told by a well-known shop (TLC in the LA area) that I should not re-gear the differentials in my '97 LC (factory lockers) because it will screw up the ABS system. FIrst I have heard of this...are they right?

Running 33's and was thinking about going to 4.56

Thanks

When I worked at Slee offroad, all the trucks I did, regearing never interfered with the ABS that I know of. Did they say why it interfered with the ABS or just made the statment? It would be interesting to hear why they think this. I would not regear for 33 at your elevation. Your truck should run just fine if all is well. later robbie

I run 33's at a mile high and have not re-geared. Only issue I have is going over the mountain passes and I don't think re-gearing would do much for that.

Seems the consensus is that re-gearing begins to pay off at 35's and the recommended gear is 4.88's. It's expensive to re-gear and you don't want to do 4.56's only to have to redo it later.

my 2 cents.

huh?

has no effect, the ABS sensors are at the birfields in the front and at the hubs in the rear, regearing changes nothing in the ABS system.

RavenTai said:
huh?

has no effect, the ABS sensors are at the birfields in the front and at the hubs in the rear, regearing changes nothing in the ABS system.

I second that.

-Spike

Thanks for straightening that out... I didn't believe them either, especially because they has no definitive reason.

As to 4.56 with 33's, I just added a supercharger and that pleasant increase in performance made me remember the decrease when I went to 33's, so I have been tempted to get that back with gearing (not that it really needs it now).

Regearing should have no bearing on the ABS. A lot of us 80series owners have regeared to 4.56 or 4.88 without any issues that would affect ABS.

ABS is overrated anyways :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom