Re-gearing causes ABS trouble? (1 Viewer)

I was just told by a well-known shop (TLC in the LA area) that I should not re-gear the differentials in my '97 LC (factory lockers) because it will screw up the ABS system. FIrst I have heard of this...are they right?

Running 33's and was thinking about going to 4.56

Thanks

powderpig

SILVER Star
When I worked at Slee offroad, all the trucks I did, regearing never interfered with the ABS that I know of. Did they say why it interfered with the ABS or just made the statment? It would be interesting to hear why they think this. I would not regear for 33 at your elevation. Your truck should run just fine if all is well. later robbie

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I run 33's at a mile high and have not re-geared. Only issue I have is going over the mountain passes and I don't think re-gearing would do much for that.

Seems the consensus is that re-gearing begins to pay off at 35's and the recommended gear is 4.88's. It's expensive to re-gear and you don't want to do 4.56's only to have to redo it later.

my 2 cents.

huh?

has no effect, the ABS sensors are at the birfields in the front and at the hubs in the rear, regearing changes nothing in the ABS system.

Website
www.tralaz.org
RavenTai said:
huh?

has no effect, the ABS sensors are at the birfields in the front and at the hubs in the rear, regearing changes nothing in the ABS system.

I second that.

-Spike

Thanks for straightening that out... I didn't believe them either, especially because they has no definitive reason.

As to 4.56 with 33's, I just added a supercharger and that pleasant increase in performance made me remember the decrease when I went to 33's, so I have been tempted to get that back with gearing (not that it really needs it now).

Regearing should have no bearing on the ABS. A lot of us 80series owners have regeared to 4.56 or 4.88 without any issues that would affect ABS.

ABS is overrated anyways :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom