Hilux Re-build thread - '83 longbed mini (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome Zach! This is inspiring me to start documenting my build on an 83, pickup I scored last fall. These little pickups are so cool!
20230205_134815.jpg

Awesome Zach! This is inspiring me to start documenting my build on an 83, pickup I scored last fall. These little pickups are so cool!View attachment 3272273

That's a great little truck. FYI, those clear corner lenses are still available from Toyota...$7 ea.

@Zjohnsonua
Didn’t know you had this truck. Looks awesome! Any future SAS plans with it?
Not sure what's gonna happen with it. Right now it runs errands and participates in shenanigans. Cross country in this thing would be a ride, haha.

Worked on replacing the clutch tonight and did some cleaning to ditch as much mess as possible before the trans is pulled. Snagged a few photos of the chassis. Pretty impressed with the state of it all. Even the exhaust hanger bolt zipped out lol.

I expect this flywheel to looks like some multicolored artwork as bad as it was slipping... stay tuned for photos.

20230327_202206.jpg
20230327_202211.jpg
20230327_202629.jpg
20230327_202155.jpg

Clutch is out.

PO cheaped out on the previous install kit which used a Chinese pilot bearing. The bearing spat its grease, which got into the disk, and onto the flywheel and plate. It's all glazed over.

Saved less than $10... don't buy cheap parts when they're hard to get to!

20230329_201223.jpg
20230329_201248.jpg
20230329_201312.jpg

Starter gave up the ghost. Turns out to have a dead spot in the rotor, so I went into the parts bin.

Useful tech:

Toyota used the same guts in gear reduction starters across many models. Differences were the swappable solenoid contacts and the swappable mounting plates. The plates have oversized mounting holes, and the pilot is sized for the intended engine/bellhousing.

This mini is currently wearing a 3FE starter with a 20R mounting plate. The plate installs with 4 screws (2 into the bendix housing and 2 from the solenoid housing).

The only watch out is that the idler gear rides on 5 large, uncontained needle bearings that will fall out when you pull the plate off - be mindful. They live in a little nylon carrier, so grease the thing up and everything can be retained and will live happier.

Next time your oddball Cruiser starter pitches a fit...grab one from a mini or a Camry and set to work.

It's been running like hell lately. Dug into the carb and found this:

20230413_202127.jpg

Tank has been shedding varnish solids and the filter isn't fine enough to catch it. Quick blast of cleaner and its all right.

It's always had a top end chatter. Annoying. Set the valves and found one 2 thou wider than the others. Tightened all of em up a bit. Current state of warm idle:

Haven't ever had functioning dash lights. Dug around and discovered:

20230413_215752.jpg

Mice. Lovely. Deleted this mess and found that their waste has corroded the rheostat. Unplugged it and jumpered the connection. All set.

20230413_221147.jpg

Little rig is damn near proper again. Time to get some miles on it.

Those f ing mice, I removed 3 nests out of my mini already. Check your front inner fenders as well for rodent nests! I will be rebuilding an Aisin carb for my 22r soon, my weber knock off is very inconsistent. Coming along nicely Zack!

20230711_194440.jpg

Been running around like it was the '50s, without seatbelts. Seatbelt planet solved that one. Gotta ring em up as the receiver-side straps are 2x as long as they should be, but the time being, they're better than nothing.

Checking into things a bit, it appears the receiver-side straps may be the correct length and I need to route them differently. As this truck never came with belts to reference, could someone else grab a photo of how theirs mount and route? It would be much appreciated.

I need to send you or drop off the door cards. Looking good!

Rory is headed out to SAS. Reckon you and he can work out the hand off?

He's in the DD rotation now. He's not winning any races, but he'll run 80mph. Parked next to a later model Taco today. Quite the size difference

Screenshot_20230822_163848_GroupMe.jpg

Checking into things a bit, it appears the receiver-side straps may be the correct length and I need to route them differently. As this truck never came with belts to reference, could someone else grab a photo of how theirs mount and route? It would be much appreciated.
Hey man, I didn't see this until now, so here are pics of mine. Hope it helps, if you need more let me know.

20230825_072223.jpg

20230825_072401.jpg

20230825_072623.jpg

20230825_072905.jpg

Last edited:
I snagged the blue belt receiver from my parts 4runner, they work but are a little short for mini. When I slide the seat forward the buckles need to be pulled back up out of the seat holes.

20230813_150204.jpg

AC worked great until the compressor crapped out. Seems that the compressor was only used on these minis during the early years...and now they're nearly unobtainium. Working on tracking down a later model AC bracket and moving to a more available compressor. We'll see what I can shake loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom