random thoughts and questions on EGTs and BTUs and boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which is kind of the whole point.

A small turbo that's working hard (or an outdated design) and outside its efficient range produces more heat than a larger turbo that's within its efficient range.

The terms "small and large" have no place in that discussion and "working hard" is also misplaced. You need to size turbos correctly.
Doesn't change the fact that using an arbitrary number such as 18psi above is only part of an incomplete picture.
It would be more useful in conjunction with intake air temperature information.

Swap out ct26 and grurbo for any other turbo name in the same scenarios if you like. The name of turbos is irrelevant, they were to provide an example of known turbos on this forum.

And how would that help anyone?

We all know the CT26 is outdated. No-one should be fitting them.

So, i can fit any turbo at all to any engine? Makes no difference, so long as it hits 18psi, it's all the same?

Except a ct26, everyone knows they aren't cool

th-1674277060.jpg
th-1801903050.jpg
th-3316554850.jpg

Q.
Why won't a Kiwi Engineer **** a sheep with its head stuck in the fence?

Kiwi Engineer.
It's not possible. You haven't given us the correct information.

Q.
What else do you need to know?

Kiwi Engineer.
Define sheep?
What sort of fence? Hog wire? Or barbed wire?

Q.
Hog wire.
Dorset. Female. 3 years old.

Kiwi Engineer.
How thick is the Hog wire?
What's the spacing between horizontal strands?
What is the tensile strength of the wire?
Are the transverse strands welded, or twist tied at the junctions?
Will she push back?
Is she wearing lipstick? Was lipstick applied in one application or two? How many microns was each layer?
Which direction will the wind be blowing?

Q.
For Gods sake, its a sheep, stuck in the fence!

Kiwi Engineer.
Will I have to have a conversation with her?

If it's not too off-topic, can anyone explain the difference between boost and flow? I've seen it claimed that a more efficient turbo can create the potential for more power at the same boost pressure compared to a less efficient turbo.

Surely we only have two variables here: pressure and temperature. So am I right in assuming that the only benefit of a more efficient turbo at a given boost pressure, is that it can create that boost with less heat as a by product? This would mean denser air potentially accomodating increased fueling (or more complete combustion of existing fuel) therefore more power. So the benefit would be much the same as adding an intercooler?

Additionally, does the greater efficiency / flow achieve a given boost pressure faster, thereby creating more power in a sort of indirect way by ramping up the whole boost / fuel curve more aggressively?

Or is there some other sort of fairy dust involved that I'm not aware of?
I think we need to focus less on boost numbers. And more on air density.

If it's not too off-topic, can anyone explain the difference between boost and flow? I've seen it claimed that a more efficient turbo can create the potential for more power at the same boost pressure compared to a less efficient turbo.

Surely we only have two variables here: pressure and temperature. So am I right in assuming that the only benefit of a more efficient turbo at a given boost pressure, is that it can create that boost with less heat as a by product? This would mean denser air potentially accomodating increased fueling (or more complete combustion of existing fuel) therefore more power. So the benefit would be much the same as adding an intercooler?

Additionally, does the greater efficiency / flow achieve a given boost pressure faster, thereby creating more power in a sort of indirect way by ramping up the whole boost / fuel curve more aggressively?

Or is there some other sort of fairy dust involved that I'm not aware of?

More efficient turbos require less drive presssure to run them. Which is less exhaust brake effect on the engine. Which also leads to less retained exhaust in the cylinders so the engine airflow gets a few percent better.

A well matched turbo of efficient design can provide drive pressure lower than boost for useful parts of the operating range. A turbo that isn't as efficient can never get drive pressure below boost.

More efficient turbos require less drive presssure to run them. Which is less exhaust brake effect on the engine. Which also leads to less retained exhaust in the cylinders so the engine airflow gets a few percent better.

A well matched turbo of efficient design can provide drive pressure lower than boost for useful parts of the operating range. A turbo that isn't as efficient can never get drive pressure below boost.
so directly to this point, when i ordered my turbo (td04-13t) with this in mind, i got the 9 blade high flow turbine in hopes of helping to reduce the emp
and the extended tip 6+6 billet compressor to achieve better efficiency on the cold side
is this logic sound?

so directly to this point, when i ordered my turbo (td04-13t) with this in mind, i got the 9 blade high flow turbine in hopes of helping to reduce the emp
and the extended tip 6+6 billet compressor to achieve better efficiency on the cold side
is this logic sound?

Unfortunately no. Those 9 blade turbines lose efficiency for flow. The intended market is screaming ricer engines. They make the 11 blade turbines with the newest blade shapes which are the ones you need and want. 12 blade was the original design which doesn't have the same performance.

9 or 10 blade turbines is what most OEM turbos are moving to these days as they are more efficient. The newest generation turbos from Garrett and BW all use 9 or 10 blade turbines. Those saying 9 blade turbines are no good haven't caught up with modern tech and are living in the past sprouting the same old sh1t from 20 years old.

🤣 well... I love a good debate, the "science" says 9 blade reduce manifold pressure and move more exhaust out more efficiently , is this just marketing....i dont know as I'm not an air flow engineer, but i appreciate the varied responses.

mudgundgeon?

🤣 well... I love a good debate, the "science" says 9 blade reduce manifold pressure and move more exhaust out more efficiently , is this just marketing....i dont know as I'm not an air flow engineer, but i appreciate the varied responses.

mudgundgeon?

If you want to move exhaust out efficiently then non-turbo is your goal.
If you want to extract energy from exhaust efficiently you need more blades.

Ricers do all sorts of horrible things to turbine wheels to try and get more top-end power. "Clipping" was a favourite where they machined down the blades at the exit. Terrible for efficiency, killed spool and low end response but would let them pull a few more rpm up top.
The 9 blades are better than clipping, but not much.

A very large percentage of modern turbo diesel engines here in Aus like the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux etc all run 9 blade turbines. 9 and 10 blade turbines are so much more efficient and exact more energy from the exhaust gases due to there mixed flow / axial design which OEM are using these days as you can spool them much quicker and with less fueling.

i love how turbo talk gets everyone all heated up
see what i did there ;)

You'll also find differences between stock turbochargers and better aftermarket matches. The stock turbos are selected to provide enough turbine drive pressure that they can drive EGR flow back to the intake.
Where with aftermarket turbos if you get the sizing and spec right you can run more boost than drive pressure at the best operating points.

i wonder how my kinugawa stacks up. I really like it, and the more i read about the company the better i feel about there competency, people used to think they were an ebay knockoff but not so at all

Kinugawa makes great turbos, as does the other similar company Mamba.
A++ on Kinugawa I have my self the TD06SL2-18G 8CM if going with Kinugawa also order the wastegate spring set so you can fine-tune to your needs.. then again I'm on a 1hdt not a 3B but value price and quality kinugawa its really nice turbo

its amazing how many choices are out there now for turbos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom