random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine bay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
I have just put on some headers and removed a few smog components as per Jim C schematics. Anyay, all seemed well until we took her out for the second test drive (going to the muffler shop). When I got a couple blocks down the road, I could hear a high pitched sqealing/whistling coming from the engine. I pulled over, popped the hood and started looking. It seemed to come from something near the rear side of the carb. All hoses are hooked up correctly--I've checked a million times--but will double-check anything anybody suggests. Oh, also put on a fluid heat riser kit, but that actually wasn't done until after I heard the noise. The noise seemed to go away at first when I accelerated, but when I continued down the road, it started doing it at all RPMS, stopped or driving. Any suggestions?!?!?

Re: random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine

Keep looking, a belt or bearing maybe? Doe's it increase with an increase in RPM's or vehicle speed?

Re: random hihg-pitch sqealing/whining from engine

It seemed to come from something near the rear side of the carb.
Use a 2' piece of garden or heater hose like a stethoscope. Stick one end in your ear and move the business end around slowly. Take your time and get within an inch or so of individual areas. The sound will get louder the closer you are to the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom