Random 70 series pic thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The interesting thing is, I think both sides are using the Land Cruiser 70-series. (Keeping it relevant here, there is a random 70-series picture!)
Here is a screen grab of a 78 from the "DPR" destroyed by a UA strike:

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 09.04.45.png

Sure they do Juan!
However, these guns look more like the lighter ex-Soviet 23 m.m. ZU-23-2 Shilka to me:

Hello,

Certainly, at 950 kg, the ZU-23-2's weight is within the payload limit of a 79 Series. And it does pack some serious punch.

A 40 mm gun may be too heavy for a 79 Series.

Shilka is the name of its self-propelled cousin, ZSU-23-4, also known as Zoo. I remember reading that US helicopters' drive trains were designed to withstand direct hits from a Shilka/Zoo and survive long enough to return to base.

If I remember correctly, the Syrians and other Middle East militaries repurposed 40 mm and 57 mm antiaircraft guns for urban fighting, starting with the Lebanon War in 1982.

Sorry for the hijack.

Juan

The interesting thing is, I think both sides are using the Land Cruiser 70-series. (Keeping it relevant here, there is a random 70-series picture!)
Here is a screen grab of a 78 from the "DPR" destroyed by a UA strike:

Hello,

It appears the Ukrainian military is partial to 76 Series. They appear every now and then, either in one piece or destroyed, in their videos.

Again, sorry for the hijack.

Juan

Hello,

Certainly, at 950 kg, the ZU-23-2's weight is within the payload limit of a 79 Series. And it does pack some serious punch.

A 40 mm gun may be too heavy for a 79 Series.

Shilka is the name of its self-propelled cousin, ZSU-23-4, also known as Zoo. I remember reading that US helicopters' drive trains were designed to withstand direct hits from a Shilka/Zoo and survive long enough to return to base.

If I remember correctly, the Syrians and other Middle East militaries repurposed 40 mm and 57 mm antiaircraft guns for urban fighting, starting with the Lebanon War in 1982.

Sorry for the hijack.

Juan
There is no hijack, you cleared the things up!

I like the wheels on that HZJ76 but I am sure they are 5 lug of course.

Thanks 😃

33x12.5x15 Toyo M/T on 8" -30mm offset wheels & 30mm spacers. I used to run them without spacers but it just sits nicer with them.
amazing.. I'm just starting my build and now looking at the wheels/rim combo.. I live in Kenya and very limited options due to very high import taxes. :( I'm thinking of doing 16'' alloys, 285/75/r16 Kenda KR601's with similar spacers. I will also go for a 2 inch hybrid lift. (OME Shocks and Dobinson's Springs)

amazing.. I'm just starting my build and now looking at the wheels/rim combo.. I live in Kenya and very limited options due to very high import taxes. :( I'm thinking of doing 16'' alloys, 285/75/r16 Kenda KR601's with similar spacers. I will also go for a 2 inch hybrid lift. (OME Shocks and Dobinson's Springs)

I'm sure yours will be badass too 😉 Goodluck with the build!

View attachment 3416618

Video appears to have been taken in an armored 79

Hello,

The handles and the headrest give it away as a double cab 79 Series.

He should have stayed in his bunker (which had no windows) and he should have avoided windows of all kinds, cars and planes included.

Juan

Last edited:
There’s usually a few for sale in Europe on any given day, some over 25 years old thus importable. PM me if you want links.
Hah, I don't think I'll ever need a tow truck, and the 70 Series meetup has convinced me that the troopy is the 70 to get...

Although it would be nice to tow a Land Rover one day

uqzsdffoekf81.jpg

There’s usually a few for sale in Europe on any given day, some over 25 years old thus importable. PM me if you want links.
Yes and they often have difficulties to sale. I would be careful with those vehicles, first some have really been abused in addition to high mileages. I would absolutely avoid the vehicles that were used as impound trucks, those are the worst of the worst. On the other side those used by garages, car dealers or specialized tow companies are some time well cared after (but still high mileage most of the time).
But the biggest warning on those is that often during the tow truck transformation the chassis is cut in the rear to reduce the overhang (and improve lifting capability). This makes transforming them back to stock quite complicated!
To my knowledge this is at least the case of the Jigé transformation which is the most common (all but the first 2 pictures bellow).

1695927884198.png

1695927503406.png

1695927988342.png

1695927930645.png

1695928094123.png

1695928041218.png

1695927005055.png

1695927732873.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom