Radio Code - reset? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As you may have seen in some of the other topics I've posted, I need to do some electrical repairs. The PO managed to 'clean the house' so I have no manual, radio book etc.

1. Is there a way to find out if the radio has a code set?

2. If I do disconnect, and there is a code, can someone PM or email me with the process the dealer uses to reset (ie is there some 'master code')?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm still 'getting to know' the dealer, so I doubt they would do it for free (and Lexus charges $99/hr ! :'( :'()

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

The radio faceplate has an icon of a key. If that blinks when the ignition is off there is a code in the radio. If it does not there is no security code in the radio.

If the radio has a code, the dealer can "lockup" the radio and resuscitate it. The codes are carefully husbanded. I would not be able to provide that to you. You have to go to the dealer...Sorry.

Regards....Dan :beer:

C-Dan,

The codes are carefully husbanded.

Got "ex-wifed" once. Is this similar?

-B-
(Sorry for the OT... I couldn't resist)

VERY

(got me another one 8) )

Hugh,
I went through this nut roll last month, so for once, I can speak from experience.
The codes are different for model number and manufacturer of radio. I'm not sure if the Lexus radios were the same, but the 97 LC had two different radios. Only the nicer model had the security feature. My head unit was a model # 56807 written in small white numbers on the face plate.
The word SEC flashes in the radio display for three seconds after starting the vehicle if the security system is on.
According to the convicts at the local Toyota dealership that sold me the vehicle, there were two or three different manufacturers of that unit and each manufacturer used a different master code. Thus, in order to get the code they had to pull the dash apart and look at the bottom of the radio to see who made it. :mad: I wasn't willing to pay them to tear apart my dash to fix something that they over looked in the first place. So, I waited until my CDL switch arrived and I copied down the Manufacturer, serial number and reference number while I had the dash apart.
My dealer turned out to be inept and couldn't get the code with all the required info (they gave me an eight digit code when it only accepts three digits).
I finally figured the poor reception and overly sensitive CD player weren't worth the hassle and took guess. The PO used the example code from the instructions in the owners manual :stupid: I'm not sure who is more ignorant--the PO for using such an obvious code, on me for not trying it earlier
Perhaps your dealer can provide more help than mine did.
Good Luck.
CJ

"convicts" :tear: Not all of them. You found a dealer that did not know the driil. SOME DO ::) At least one anyway. It is not necessary to remove the radio. All that is needed is the model number. The informed dealer then does his rain dance to transform the dead.

Back to periscope depth.............Dan

Sorry Dan. I didn't mean to imply all dealerships are a bunch of convicts. You are one of the exceptions.
BTW which dealership do you work at? I might swing by next time I'm home.
CJ

All of this begs the question...What idiot would steal a factory radio? I guess they are out there.....

Maybe someone will come and carefully remove all of my factory speakers......

Who said anything about dealers?

I am in charge of baffling.........Ask Beo

:dunno:

Tenn,

What's your address, -H- got his wet the other day, He'll stop by and pick me up. Between the 2 of us it should take A half hour or so.........

Yes, I'm kind of in the mind set of hoping someone takes my moderately ok double DIN radio, with CD player that requires me to r e a c h into the back to load CDs, and then packs up the speakers as well. Maybe I'll undo the screws and leave the doors open to help them out :D

If I had the cash right now, it would be in the junker. I'm just worried that I will kill the radio and the wife will be pissed (as will I) and I don't feel like spending $99 to find out a simple code.

CJ thanks for the info, I may ping you later to see what the example code is in the book.

Cheers, Hugh

"Ping" I LIKE that.

"One ping only"

Back to periscope depth..................

....I have sonar contact, bearing 225 degrees,...

C-Dan,
We'll turn you into a real computer geek yet.

Ping is a standard command on most OS's. Open a DOS prompt and type ping /?

For example:

C:>ping www.ih8mud.com

Pinging ih8mud.vwww.birfield.com [209.73.220.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.73.220.137: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=242
Reply from 209.73.220.137: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=242
Reply from 209.73.220.137: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=242
Reply from 209.73.220.137: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 209.73.220.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 117ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 118ms

-B-

-B-

I said "one ping only".........................

You're still mad about the thingy aren't you?

BTW I causally asked Dirty Fingernails if it was possible to work the sun roof manually and he shot back "Yup, you just get the cad plated thingy out of the tool kit and........."

C-Dan,

>> get the cad plated thingy out of the tool kit and........." <<

tool kit and...... remove the #8 spark plug.  :D

-B-

Hello guys!!

I´m new on this IH8MUD.com, and i have to say that the amount of information you have here is priceless!!!, i´m very happy about finding all these info here.

Thank´s for all the inputs.

Concerning the Radio Code, I was doing service on my rig last weekeng and while i was swimming in my sea of ignorance, i disconnected the battery and now the security of the radio is activated, I´ve contacted the PO and he doesn´t even know what i´m talkin about!!!.

Went to Toyota Dealers (Panama City, Panama) and they said that they need to send the radio to MIAMI for the code. Obviously too much $$$, so i will replace the deck with some better unit.

BTW, my rig is a 1997 lx450, and just love it more every day!!!!

------------NEW INFO ---------------

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/377166-stereo-security-code.html has the latest and greatest information - please read that thread.

-----------------

From several years ago, I got the unlock sequence for one model of the toyota radio.

A guy I know (not sure if he is on Mud):

For example I have the 56807. My six digit code is 524608.
There were 3 different manufactures for Toyota Fujitsu Ten, Panasonic,
and Delco.

Anyhow, between my instructions and some persistence he worked out how to unlock his.

So, if you have the above model I have instructions that should work - of course if they don't you're no worse off.

If you need them I can send them to you - no point posting it and making it more public - though IN MY OPINION the only folk that don't know how to unlock the radios are a) some dealers and b) us - I strongly believe any 'real' thief has a complete set of unlock instructions already...

george.

Last edited:
One other comment - My security feature seemed to be turned off. However, when I took the radio out some time later to do some work on the dash, I noted that the dealer/owner had marked the code on the top of the radio. It's quite easy to get the radio out ~10-15 min - so give it a try.

Cheers, Hugh

I know this is an old thread but KUDOS to george_tlc for helping me out with my 97 4Runner's radio. He emailed me the cure. IT WORKED:clap::bounce::cheers:.

Thanks again George!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom