Radiator shipping damage - too much? Updated w/ results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the exact same problem with my TYC1918 from RockAuto. It was a manufacturing issue not shipping damage. Rockauto sent a new radiator to me and gave a label to send the damaged unit back. The second radiator arrived and was perfect.

A few years ago I received a Denso aftermarket AC condenser from Rock Auto that was bent side-to-side, returned it as above, no hassles. Ended up buying an OEM replacement.

They are getting in touch with Koyo and will get back to me. My experience so far is that their (options auto) customer service is great, so I’ll happily be patient.

I’ve been able to slow my leak so it only drips a little overnight. Keeping catch pans with me and coolant topped off as needed, as well as monitoring temps while driving. Not something anyone wants to do forever, but it works in the meantime.

They are sending a new one soon. Said they will open it up to make sure it’s in good shape & add more protection. Great customer service with them.

Last edited:
Old rad is out. Exactly where the leak was, looks like the aluminum crimped over the plastic tank just completely let go & backed off, so seal must have been weak for some time. Can’t find anything on this thing that tells me the brand, but I know it’s not original as per the PO, so we will just assume it’s a cheap piece of junk.

Not a bad job at all. Tunes, beverages, and being in no rush make for a casual night in the garage.

All done. Added foam to this one, new tstat, and with the fresh rad, my average temp dropped about 9° across the board. Same coolant, and system was already very clean, so don’t think that plays a role in this case. AK summer day around 65° (pretty average) - max during road driving 185 vs 194, max idle 190 vs 199, max heat creep after shutoff 194-197 vs 203-206. More importantly, no more leak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom