Radiator shipping damage - too much? Updated w/ results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question and then let this fall away. Don’t usually tend to get responses in existing threads, so apologies for a new one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Koyo came in today from optionsauto.com, and they were great to deal with. However, it took a hit at some point - the side & outer tube are bent in, with corresponding row of fins smashed. Shipping box (original koyo) does not appear to have any impact damage on either side, so my guess it was a broad hit (dropped) and the lip w/ hole on frame was enough to make contact. However, said frame piece is not contacting the rad damage, and only slightly bent - a bit strange.

I will contact them to see if anything can be done. The hard part is AK shipping $$ for particular products like these... so, if I have to keep it, is this “too much?” Can it be pulled back into shape? I know a few bent fins aren’t a big deal and can be fixed, but bent tubes? Naturally, I don’t want to chance it on a faulty rad out of the box, but not sure what my options will be.

3FF3FE73-F53A-4B06-B8FB-815F617D7DFB.jpeg

30B4BBA7-0F12-4D98-9B23-F4D8DFC1A7F8.jpeg

Last edited:
No, I wouldn't use it. Too much work to do it again.

That’s what I figured. Normally wouldn’t hesitate if it weren’t $$$ to do so. Hopefully they’re feeling nice and will cover it. Otherwise it’ll cost me the price of the rad itself, round trip to get a new one.

I've seen and used several (aftermarket) rads that look just like that, it's common. Never had a related issue.

Just noticed you're in Alaska, they might not want the damaged radiator back
if you send photos, may just ship out a replacement at no charge. Looks like
a manufacturing defect, never should've left the factory (in Chynna??).

Nope, completely unacceptable. To make that curve, it would have had to stretch the core. I suspect it will have tiny cracks where the core meets the tank, even if yo cant see them. After a few years it will corrode and leak.

Don’t use. It took me 4 attempts with Amazon and Rock Auto. It’s too much work and could fail at a most inconvenient time/place.

Looks like
a manufacturing defect, never should've left the factory (in Chynna??).
That's shipping damage. You can see its had enough pressure to crush the cooling fins

Yeah, definitely impact damage. Just weird that there aren’t corresponding signs on the box or inner cardboard sleeve as far as I can decipher, and the side frame was only lightly out of shape 🤔

Fortunately my current leak is manageable for the time being. Hopefully no problem getting a replacement. Thanks all for the reassurance that I shouldn’t consider using it, and in theory it *should* be covered

It's likely not shipping damage, as the outer frame is not damaged. It's more likely that it was 'damaged' on the assembly line.

If you get a replacement, I'll bet a dollar it looks very similar.

^^^What he said. My TYC1918 arrived with similar damage, but not as severe as in your pic. I studied it for a bit and realized it wouldn't affect performance, so I installed it and it's been good to date (*about 5k miles).

Given the damage location being consistent on all of these and clearly damage to the aluminum core before mounting to the steel frame, I surmise that some idiot in china is in the habit of whacking the aluminum core on something when he maneuvers it into the jig for final assembly. He was just feeling a little more angry the day he made yours.

I would pursue a replacement, but as @-Spike- says, expect the next one will have the same damage...

Yeah, definitely impact damage. Just weird that there aren’t corresponding signs on the box or inner cardboard sleeve
I would say they either packed it like that because they didn't notice it or because they damaged it and didn't want it taken out of their pay.
These things are most likely made and stacked on the floor till they can be packed. Fork lift truck might have nudged it.

ya, not shipping damage - I personally would not install an aftermarket radiator even if it is free or you pay me.

Ok seriously, what’s going on with radiator manufacturers? Are they blind that their products are being damaged in transit ? Like this is a constant issue…. Feels like the twilight zone at this point. I just got a water pump Aisin off Amazon and they shipped it in a soft envelope- yep it arrived dead and destroyed.

It's not happening during shipment - the damage is being done on the assembly line. The steel frames that hold the core protect it once it's been assembled. There is NO WAY that damage occurred during transport.

Guess that makes sense.

And sure, I would prefer an OEM rad, but in my case it’s fairly spendy and still has to be shipped the same. At the end of the day, if it were to arrive undamaged, paying a “premium” for something important, which should last another couple decades, is not much. Cheaper than overheating!

Will update when I hear back from them.

Aluminum does weird things when it gets bent. I wouldn't use it.

If that’s quality control for Koyo buy an OEM T-rad. $400 out the door plus the shipping to Alaska which of course must be nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom