Radiator Replacement (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve looked around for a repair manual and could not find. Mine had the too common radiator hairline crack on the top plastic this past week. Ordered a new radiator and tried to replace it today. Could not get to the bottom bolt on the passenger side. I went in guns a blazin’, but the LC defeated me. Any ideas?

Links below to zip files from repair manual.

Removal: RADIATOR REMOVAL.zip
Install: RADIATOR INSTALLATION.zip

This is beautiful, thank you so much! I was thinking, surely I don’t have to take the bumper off. So I thought I had missed something. Looks like bumper has to come off. A little surprised by that, but now I know! Thanks again!!

This is beautiful, thank you so much! I was thinking, surely I don’t have to take the bumper off. So I thought I had missed something. Looks like bumper has to come off. A little surprised by that, but now I know! Thanks again!!
Might as well replace it while you're at it! Cheers! :beer:

My stock LC bumper didn’t need to come off.

Just checked. Lower PS bolt is def accessible with bumper on. DS similar. I’m not sure if years other than my 13 are the same.

Gold bolt head to the left of the black painted one. 12mm with a bunch of extensions
338A2EE3-BD0E-4460-9DA0-ECD4FC7072D6.jpeg

My stock LC bumper didn’t need to come off.

Agreed.

The LX bumper doesn't need to come off either. I was able to reach that lower bolt behind the crash bar by reaching down into the space behind the grill.

Am contemplating replacing my radiator myself. How hard was it for a DIY'er, say on a 1-5 wrench scale? How long do you think it would take?

Are there any decent aftermarket radiators available that aren't plastic like OEM?

Steve

Thanks @Mogwai for the scans. I was surprised that in addition to the many steps to free the bumper, they would have you remove the air cleaner hose, vacuum hose, & No. 2 ventilation hose (step 11 in removal). I'm not in front of my LC, and haven't done this before, but I couldn't see the rationale for this. Aren't those things pretty far out of the way for removing the radiator? Doesn't appear that they get in the way of the fan etc. But what do I know.
Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 6.32.32 PM.png

It has been about a year but I think I did remove my intake elbow.. I’m guessing to get the resonator boxes totally clear of the fan and shroud coming out.

It is quite easy.. just don’t forget about the vacuum hoses on the back side of it when you put it all back together

Just changed out my radiator this weekend. I'll probably put more detail in the mega Radiator PSA thread, but wanted to put a word of caution here. YMMV, but I had a tougher time of it and ended up having to remove the bumper and the oil cooler to get it done. I'm no pro-mechanic, just consider myself mechanically inclined and able to follow directions (-: but in the end I couldn't get the passenger side mount off of the old radiator. Relied heavily on @Mogwai 's pictures but skipped a few steps. But it's done, no fluids gushed out when I started it, and it didn't overheat and seize, so it's a win.

FYI - although a little too late to help you - but a wobble socket makes getting those bolts through the bumper easier to remove.

Any word on upgraded radiators that aren't plastic for our cruisers?

Steve

Any word on upgraded radiators that aren't plastic for our cruisers?

Steve

These are the only ones I'm aware of:

My prior experience with cheap aluminum radiators in other vehicles is to avoid them at all costs.

The stock ones crack, in one specific spot that is easy to keep an eye on, but you get a lot of miles out of them before it happens, and that is the only problem with them. Plus the newer ones seem to be designed better specifically to address the problem.

Personally I’ll leep running OEM.

Yes, I have a Fluidyne in my Supra that is 15 years old and still going strong. I was hopefully for something similar for the Cruiser.

Steve

I purchased a 2010 LX570 a few months ago, and I have been doing a little investigating on what work that has been done, I'm guessing that this radiator is not the original?
MVIMG_20190826_121949.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom