Radiator Install Question - Modify Retaining Bolt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Team,

I'm putting in my new Koyo radiator and after having had one hell of a time with the forward facing bolt on the PS of the radiator I'm thinking I'll grind it down so it's about 5 mm shorter than it was. I had a terrible time getting a socket on it because of its location. My deep socket could not get on it, and my shallower sockets were too shallow due to the length of the threads - the socket would not get seated.

Any reason why I shouldn't shorten the bolt a bit prior to install?

Thanks
Russell

Pic?
Did you pull the lights out of the way, when you pull the lights you get very good access to that bolt?
Also there is a rubber spacer thingey that bolt goes through, is it present? That spacer makes the bolt length just right unless you have a nontypical bolt for some reason.
Sorry, I did my radiator a few weeks ago (Koyo replacement) and I don't remember having much trouble with those two bolts. Trying to help.

But I remember the key thing is partially pulling the light and light bracket which then gives easy room to get at those bolts.

How do I partially pull the headlights out? That sounds like a good idea but the whole assembly looked kind of involved.

Hi, Seems like when I pull the radiator in and out I pull what ever. Battery,lights etc. Mike

Dude, pull the headlights, the marker lights, grill, battery, battery box and what ever else is in the way.

It all comes out fairly easily. Anyway it sure beats fighting everything.

Start by removing the headlight trim on top. 2 screws per
The marker lights. 2 screws per and a wire harness plug
The turn signal lights. 1 screw on top into headlight.
Pull that sucker straight out. It will pop out and not break.
Oh yeah remove the grill. Has maybe 4 screws?
The headlights have 4 bolts per and 2 harness plugs
Then you can see the shebang for the radiator fasteners.
Might need a 1/4" drive socket for the bolts your working on to fit in there.

If you decide to do all that...when you bolt the headlights back in, don't over do it. Just get the bolts snug as the tabs they hold are plastic.

This might not all be exactly accurate but it's close enough.
Good Luck!

Yep...agree with Ted above. In addition, I used a 1/4 drive deep well socket. The metal on the socket is thinner, which made it much easier in tight spots. I have learned that a 1/4 drive metric set is quite useful for the 14mm and below stuff.

Edit...I see Ted mentioned the 1/4 so yeah agree with the above. :)

How do I partially pull the headlights out? That sounds like a good idea but the whole assembly looked kind of involved.
use screw-driver, undo the low marker lights and pull out gently, this (IIRC) gives you access to the 1-2 (can't quite remember) bolts holding the headlights, the third (?) bolt can be reached by knowing that the side light and main headlight are held together by a pin on the upper corner where they meet, wiggle the lights and you can pull the one light with pin attached out of the other light, now that the side light is out you can reach the ?third? headlight bolt and loosen, with those three bolts out or loose you get good access to the forward facing bolts holding the rad and you can figure out why its being such a bugger for you.

search here for "pulling the headlights" and I think you'll find a thread somewhere

here is one
Headlight Removal

¼" drive socket with a long extension solves the problem... ask me how I know

x20 for the extra parts removal (fully/partially). And no, the extra 5-mm won't kill you, that bolt's too long anyway. I wrestled with this same problem a couple of months ago. FWIW, I spent longer than necessary turning that same bolt, one flat at a time, by hand to get it close. I feel your pain.

Thanks guys. I'll pull the headlights out a bit for access upon reassembly. Sometimes I find myself fighting little things like this longer than I should. In this case, I should have just pulled the headlights aside much sooner. Thanks again.

Radiator needs a lot removed. But that is the best way. You have a large expensive delicate part that you are trying to install. No good to wrestle with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom