Radiator differences??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know when I got my champion radiator it stated it fit all years of the 40 series, but the flanges had additional holes drilled for mounting. At the very least, there is some sort of variance. Hope someone who knows the actual difference chimes in for sure.

I got the (only available) OEM radiator several months ago from BENO for my '73. It fits up fine. Yes, there were some extra holes in the support flange, but the original ones were there. It did appear to be four core instead of the original three.

One thing I did notice different was that the original radiator had tabs running down the passenger side support flange to hold a radiator overflow tube, directing the overflow straight down to the pavement. Here in Massachusetts, that may just be a 'felonious assault on the environment" to reinstall that way.. :p

The 71 radiator had six mounting points to the core support. The '77 had seven. The offset on the driver's side started in '75 with the larger fan shroud of the 2F. If you put a 77 radiator into a '71, you just have to drill that sixth hole in the middle on the driver's side.

Best

Mark

The 71 radiator had six mounting points to the core support. The '77 had seven. The offset on the driver's side started in '75 with the larger fan shroud of the 2F. If you put a 77 radiator into a '71, you just have to drill that sixth hole in the middle on the driver's side.

Best

Mark
So if a '71 rad were to installed in a '77, there should be no issues...correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom