R134 AC conversion success! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999 said:
well, I've driven many 134 systems, including in hot deserts and I can't think of any occasion where I thought they were seriously insufficient to handle the job. Yes, it may perhaps take a few minutes more at first (guessing) but in steady-state I never thought they were not good enough...
It may well be that the fluid is inherently less effective (don't know the temps) but I would think that the designers would simply compensate for that with bigger hardware?

Have you driven a converted R134a system in AZ?

LandCruiserPhil said:
e9999 said:
well, I've driven many 134 systems, including in hot deserts and I can't think of any occasion where I thought they were seriously insufficient to handle the job. QUOTE]

You have never been to AZ

you know that,eh?

:)

medtro said:
Have you driven a converted R134a system in AZ?

don't think so, why? did I say anything about converted systems in AZ?

flintknapper said:
Yeah, if R-12 wasn't so expensive I'd consider retrofitting my 134a to it. I have the certification...so I can buy it. Heck, I've got 3 one pound cans just sitting in my shop right now.

Hopefully... they will come up with an alternative refrigerant to replace 134a that ACTUALLY performs as well as R-12.

I had my FJ60 converted by my mechanic from R-12 to Freeze-12. Compatible oils (and large R-12 content) , so no o-ring change out required, and less issues with mixing. From then on, I paid my $15 bucks and got my AC certification on-line, then I could buy my own Freeze-12 @ $6/can.

Sorry to piggy back the thread, but I got a 93 FZJ80

How can i tell if it has R12 or 134 in it?

Thanks
Kevin

If for some reason the sticker is gone, then look at the service valves. If they are small and threaded with a schrader valve they're R-12, If they're large and smooth (for a quick coupler) you've got 134a.

I believe the driers are in different spots as well, with the 134a's being located behind the front bumper on the drivers side.

I got no sticker under the hood but took these pics, pretty sure from what you say its R-12

What is the difference between the 2? Awhile back a mechanic told me that the older (not so enviro friendly) stuff was colder. Any truth to that?

Here are my pics, can anyone confirm this is R12? Thanks

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Looks like R12 valves. The 134 are different sizes and usually the plastic cap says L and H. Take the caps off to see what the valve looks like as mentioned above.
Of course, you could have had somebody put in 134 in a 12 system without changing anything. Could even have put in Budweiser for that matter :D but that's unlikely, it doesn't taste good enough even for an A/C system...
Not sure how to tell directly. Maybe a pressure test or a look at the refrigerant / oil? Probably can't trust the color either...
A sniffer could tell probably.

Boston, that's a R12 system, good bet there is R12 in it. The only way to tell for sure is, take it to a good A/C shop and have the freon tested. There are all kinds of R12 "replacements" people have been known to put in them including propane! If it's working well don't worry about it, I wouldn't convert it as long as you can still get R12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom