Quik Hinge Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to installing these hinges. It'll make removing or switching doors pretty easy in the future. My plan is to run half door in the hot part of summer with the top off.

The upper hinges esp on the drivers side are painful to address. The plate with the threaded holes (like a nut plate) is mobile inside the door jam/frame. It was pretty hard to line of the holes for the first screw or 2 on the uppers. I ended up getting short threaded rods (can't remember maybe M8-1.25) to capture the plate then center the hinge on it. No photos in action (pretty tight spot) -- That's my kid's hand helping me out. I bought those plastic rods too. The plate was far enough off center that the plastic rods centered one hole and I was able to thread the rod in another hole far enough to get the hinge in place, but not so far that I couldn't get it out.

IMG_0707.JPG

On the drivers side, I needed to unscrew the fuse box to get to the uppers. The tabs where the box attaches definitely made the installation more difficult.

In process:
IMG_0584.JPG

Finished (probably need to touch up my paint) --
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

Thanks, Matt! @69LC

What sealant are you using to fill the gap around the hinge on the door pillar? It would have to be something that takes paint well so I can touch it up w/ a brush.

What sealant are you using to fill the gap around the hinge on the door pillar? It would have to be something that takes paint well so I can touch it up w/ a brush.

I used black RTV. If you want it to be paintable, then use a latex based caulk/sealant.

Installing the hinges was the biggest pain in the butt or anything I did on my complete rebuild.

I wish you had painted those hinges before you installed them......

If you used a 3M seam sealer or equivalent automotive seam sealer, then you can paint it without issue. Lord Fusor, Eastwood etc...
Those look really nice, where did you get them? I love your ingenuity for the installation process...Nice job!!:clap:

I gotta get me a set of those quick hinges.

Just got my hinges yesterday and they are excellent quality all around! Will be painting and installing over the winter months.
I plan to share pix when I have some, but they look to be very well thought out and manufactured...definitely Cruiser worthy!!

:cheers:

Installed mine. Haven’t addressed the seal around the hinges yet. I got a good alignment on the passenger door (74 doors on a 76 body, so it’s tricky). Still need a driver’s door seal to confirm it’s alignment, but it looks okay. On the diver’s side, I only removed the headlight switch for more access for the hinge installation. I used a dremel to clean up the light rust under the original hinges. These hinges should have been the factory design.

293839D5-0390-493C-A331-FD52D5791ECE.jpeg
72FF9890-BFD4-4E4F-A949-61F9B79ADC9C.jpeg
6562A96F-85DE-4AE7-A667-5BF639E42A57.jpeg
5E6B34F5-F2CF-4AAC-8227-B9B8CAAAB6E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Some notes after my install on the '64 FST:

a.) These hinges are the bomb for an FST! Way better than the factory's quick remove hinges.

b.) The 12mm ratchet wrench is the preferred tool for the early rigs as well as for the later rigs.

c.) There is a lot more room behind the dash on the early 40s. I had no trouble at all reaching in to get the top hinge plate on the driver's side started. The worst on the early trucks is the upper on the passenger side, having to work through the side of the glove box as well as from underneath. But even that was not all that difficult.

74923026-b5e8-46e6-88d3-f05b93f6b40f-jpeg.1655406

When I tried to install the infamous passenger side hinge, I tried several times a day for days and couldn't get but one bolt in. Finally, I tried a level on the hinge and on the second or third attempt I got the bolt in. I guess what I thought was level wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom