Question regarding factory fog lamps..help ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the 100, at the same time you switch the headlights from low beam to high, the front fog lamps will go out, I am assuming for safety reasons..(fog lamps are not needed w/high beams due to the reflection of light back to the drivers eyes...

Does (or has) anyone know of a way to disable this feature so that the fogs stay lit even when the high beams are engaged?

I realize that virtually ALL headlight functions are ultimately controlled by the instrument ECU and the DRL relays, but do you think its possible to "trick" the fog light system into thinking the lows are still on, not the high beams ??

ANY input is appreciated !! :)

SINCITY100 said:
On the 100, at the same time you switch the headlights from low beam to high, the front fog lamps will go out, I am assuming for safety reasons..(fog lamps are not needed w/high beams due to the reflection of light back to the drivers eyes...

Does (or has) anyone know of a way to disable this feature so that the fogs stay lit even when the high beams are engaged?

I realize that virtually ALL headlight functions are ultimately controlled by the instrument ECU and the DRL relays, but do you think its possible to "trick" the fog light system into thinking the lows are still on, not the high beams ??

ANY input is appreciated !! :)

I also wondered if this could be done. On my LR Disco 2, the dealer was able to do this by changing an option in the ECU. I wonder if the LC can also be changed like this. Anyone know if there is reference to this in FSM?

Greg B said:
I also wondered if this could be done. On my LR Disco 2, the dealer was able to do this by changing an option in the ECU. I wonder if the LC can also be changed like this. Anyone know if there is reference to this in FSM?

I have the FSM in front of me, There is very little info regarding the fog-lamps and what occurs when the high beams are switched on....

I am sure a 100 guru will give the magic answer soon... :D

John..?.......John.........?...JOHN WHERE ARE YA WHEN I NEED YA ?! ;p

Not that this helps or anything here, but the fogs that come standard on JDM-spec 80next to the headlights stay on even when/after you turn on the high beams.

I like them to stay on on high in town, but in rural area, I'd like to have them off so I can see better/further.

Good luck!

Mot

mot said:
Not that this helps or anything here, but the fogs that come standard on JDM-spec 80next to the headlights stay on even when/after you turn on the high beams.

I like them to stay on on high in town, but in rural area, I'd like to have them off so I can see better/further.

Good luck!

Mot

Thanks Mot...

There must be a simple (?) way to keep that Foglamp relay energized with the highs on.... :confused:

On my Europe spec 100 the fogs stay on with hi or low beam. (Even though the local regualtions say fogs should be off when low beam is on)

Only condition when fog lights will not come on is when the main light switch is off, meaning with DRL on (which means low beam on).

I can check my wiring diagram only Monday...

Looking at the FSM, Electrical Wiring Diagram, it's all done in the "Combination Switch". Only when the Fog Lights are switched ON and the Head Lights to LOW is the circuit complete to energize the FR FOG RELAY. I don't see a smiple way to get around this. I guess you could go into the "Combination Switch" to bring out a wire that could control a relay to energize the FR FOG RELAY when the High Beams are ON. Doesn't look like a simple job to me.

Ok sin I just looked at the ewd. It looks like a fairly simple circuit in the combo switch.
Pin 11 (Green/Yellow) comes in from the control side of the fog relay.
Pin 10 (Red/Light Blue) comes out of the fog switch and back into the light switch as Pin 17 (Same color wire) through the low beam section and out to
Pin 16 (White/Black) to ground. Looks like a two switch circuit, normally you need them both to make the fog lamps work. I bet if you take pin 10 out and tape it off and replace it with the pin 16 wire (again into the pin 10 location) you have reduced the circuit to one switch (the fog lamp switch only and the low beam is taken out of the picture.
I was looking into doing this on mine but my fog lights are dual beam so I used the switch that came with them instead.

Good Luck.
ben :D

LEXUSBEN said:
Ok sin I just looked at the ewd. It looks like a fairly simple circuit in the combo switch.
Pin 11 (Green/Yellow) comes in from the control side of the fog relay.
Pin 10 (Red/Light Blue) comes out of the fog switch and back into the light switch as Pin 17 (Same color wire) through the low beam section and out to
Pin 16 (White/Black) to ground. Looks like a two switch circuit, normally you need them both to make the fog lamps work. I bet if you take pin 10 out and tape it off and replace it with the pin 16 wire (again into the pin 10 location) you have reduced the circuit to one switch (the fog lamp switch only and the low beam is taken out of the picture.
I was looking into doing this on mine but my fog lights are dual beam so I used the switch that came with them instead.

Good Luck.
ben :D

Ben, Thank you so much for taking the time to look at the EWD !!

I had to chase down a copy myself, and now I am looking at it too. I see what you are talking about 10-17 16 out to ground....I am not too keen on electrical, so bear with me....

Is 10 and 17 a power lead or a ground lead ? It appears that 17 is directly linked to the low beam dimmer, and completes the circuit when the fog switch is turned on..

Are you saying that (again excuse my ignorance) that 10-17 are both just simple ground leads that allows the fogs to work in low beam ?

It makes sense that if you bypass this loop (17 from the lows) to always be grounded, that the fogs will illuminate WHENEVER the (fog )switch is turned on..

One quick reply from you (to confirm this will be safe) and I will try it !

Thanks again, Even my top technicians in our shop were a bit dumbfounded by the (headlamp)system and how it relates to the fog lights..

I will show you guys WHY I am actually asking this question in the first place
when Its done !

Trust me, it will belong in the TECHNICAL FACTS section, and make a simple mod even better !!

Hey Sin...you wouldn't be thinking about running aux driving/spot lights off that fog lamp switch would ya? Good idea if you are...been thinking about that one myself. ...especially since the POS fog facto fog lamps really don't do much anyway...

spressomon said:
Hey Sin...you wouldn't be thinking about running aux driving/spot lights off that fog lamp switch would ya? Good idea if you are...been thinking about that one myself. ...especially since the POS fog facto fog lamps really don't do much anyway...

Spress...You are pretty smart for a 100 owner !! ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do...I bought some bad a$$ Hella lights to mount on my ARB bull bar, and I thought.."Hmmm...didnt I unplug a couple of lights when I took of that old (stock) bumper of mine ?"

But, even if I could use the wiring from the factory fogs...The damn things only work on low beam (kinda defeats the whole aux light idea, doesn`t it ?)..

Well..I mounted these Hellas in about 30 min WITHOUT having to run 15 feet of wiring, tap into the battery, mount a relay, AND drill my dash for a suitable switch location ... IT WAS GREAT !!

In fact, I almost feel guilty it was so easy !! :D

Well..armed with the Toyota EWD, and a bit of direction from fellow IH8mudders...I got them-thar-lites to work on both low AND high beams :cheers:

I will take some pics, and post the details of the installation sometime Saturday

Damn I`m Good ;)

Sorry..I get excited when I add something electrical without burning my vehicle to the ground .... :eek:

Sorry for the late/early reply. It sounds like you have already done it. :D
But here it is anyway. All you are doing like you said is by passing the Low beam loop. The whole combo switch is on the ground side. FYI the ground side of the circuit starts at the load, in this case that is the resistor in the control side of the relay. From that point on its all ground, so all you are doing is removing one of the switches that can open the ground circuit. But again it sound like you got it, so lets see some pics!

ben

SINCITY100 said:
Spress...You are pretty smart for a 100 owner !! ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do...I bought some bad a$$ Hella lights to mount on my ARB bull bar, and I thought.."Hmmm...didnt I unplug a couple of lights when I took of that old (stock) bumper of mine ?"

But, even if I could use the wiring from the factory fogs...The damn things only work on low beam (kinda defeats the whole aux light idea, doesn`t it ?)..

Well..I mounted these Hellas in about 30 min WITHOUT having to run 15 feet of wiring, tap into the battery, mount a relay, AND drill my dash for a suitable switch location ... IT WAS GREAT !!

In fact, I almost feel guilty it was so easy !! :D

Well..armed with the Toyota EWD, and a bit of direction from fellow IH8mudders...I got them-thar-lites to work on both low AND high beams :cheers:

I will take some pics, and post the details of the installation sometime Saturday

Damn I`m Good ;)

Sorry..I get excited when I add something electrical without burning my vehicle to the ground .... :eek:

Sin: Great...as you said this approach eliminates one more switch to find a place to locate. I would appreciate your wiring steps...like you I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous. Actually it's not the WIRING that challenges me just the complex circuits and where all those electrons flow :D

spressomon said:
Sin: Great...as you said this approach eliminates one more switch to find a place to locate. I would appreciate your wiring steps...like you I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous. Actually it's not the WIRING that challenges me just the complex circuits and where all those electrons flow :D

Now you are using too big of words for me to understand !! ;p

As I mentionbed, this was so friggin easy to do, I couldnt believe it! I will give a fairly good description of what I did when I post the pics of the finished product..
I wont have any pics of the actual install in progress, I was running out of sunlight when I was doing the job, so I had to work kinda fast !! :frown:

And , of course..I forgot my Dig-camera today, I am @ work so I will run home tonight and try to snap a few shots with the lighst installed

You will like what I did...Well, I do anyway ! :D

BTW..It was kinda fun randomly grounding different wires under the dash and seeing the effect on the lighting system ! :eek:

Nice job, Sincity! I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread when it's time for me to hook up some aux lights. How much current does your Hella's draw compared to the OEM foglights?

hoser said:
Nice job, Sincity! I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread when it's time for me to hook up some aux lights. How much current does your Hella's draw compared to the OEM foglights?

Hoser, I am not sure of the difference (O.E. vs Hella) , I was concerned at first that the Hella`s would overwhelm the factory wiring/relay, but I asked a few technicians whether it seemed safe to do without running the whole harness/relay/switch that came with the lights....

I was running a 65W bulb in the original fogs..and the Hella were rated @ 55w, so I (we) figured I was good to go with the current (and unused) O.E. setup

After everything was connected, I checked the wires and relay to see if any excessive heat or any other possible side effects would occur, and after keeping the Hella`s lit for approx an hour straight.. it was all good ! :D

Now, I DID order some 100 Watt bulbs that the vendor said were compatable w/these lights, but I am not THAT brave to try them out quite yet ! :eek:

Besides...these suckers (55w) are WAY bright, with a very focused beam, notably brighter than even the high beams.. :D

Cool, maybe you should add some night pics to this thread. Low beam, Hella vs Hi Beam, Hella + Hi Beam. I think you would need to set your camera on a fixed setting though and not auto.

hoser said:
Cool, maybe you should add some night pics to this thread. Low beam, Hella vs Hi Beam, Hella + Hi Beam. I think you would need to set your camera on a fixed setting though and not auto.

That sounds like WORK Hoser !! ;)

But my camera doesn`t have any buttons except for the big round one on top that you press to take a pic.. I wonder if I covered the light with garbage bags and stood REAL still... :rolleyes:

Just kiddin Hose..I am a (working on it) semi-pro nature photographer with a VERY high-end Digital SLR ;p

SINCITY100 said:
I am a (working on it) semi-pro nature photographer

Why do ya think I bought a 100 that rig gets me ANYWHERE I need to go !
(well except through the Rubicon maybe!) ;)

Now, we are going to expect only the best cruiser/scenic shots from you.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom