Question regarding factory fog lamps..help ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser said:
Now, we are going to expect only the best cruiser/scenic shots from you.:cheers:

Me and my big mouth !... :frown:

I have also done this with some Hella 500's for now. I simply cut off the factory connectors at the end of the wire where they plug into the factory fog lights. There are two wires that I then connected to the wires coming out of the Hella's. That was it. Now, i can turn them on from the factory switch. The only downside is they turn off with the high-beams.

This info from Ben is great. I too will try the changes to the wiring to see if it works. Any luck getting this to work Sin?

I suspect the fog lights turn off when the high beams come on due to law. I know in Texas it is illegal to have more than 4 lights on at a time. I got pulled over for having my low beams on and 2 sets of "fog lights" (the 20 buck a set from walmart kind) I suspect this law is nation wide.

But I also would like to keep them on in some night driving, good info!

-Matt

Greg B said:
I have also done this with some Hella 500's for now. I simply cut off the factory connectors at the end of the wire where they plug into the factory fog lights. There are two wires that I then connected to the wires coming out of the Hella's. That was it. Now, i can turn them on from the factory switch. The only downside is they turn off with the high-beams.

This info from Ben is great. I too will try the changes to the wiring to see if it works. Any luck getting this to work Sin?

Problem solved Greg...I am posting the whole process in a new thread Titled..

" Installing aftermarket lamps on my ARB bar "

...Pretty original, eh ? ;)

I haven't verified this by analyzing the wiring diagrams, but I think there may be another reason for the fog lamps switching off when the brights are switched on.

Electrical designers design the wiring harness, fusing, and other delivery components to be as inexpensive as possible. If you consider the load required by the system to support bright lamps AND foggers, the total load would be higher and might require more costs in the harness, connectors, etc.

or.....maybe they just figured nobody would run bright lights in the fog! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom