Question on 12HT throw out bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
Converting an 88 HJ61 from Auto to an H55. Ordered an Aisin clutch kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Kit # is in the pic below. Have another 12HT out of a FJ62 that was converted by the previous owner (had it done at Manafre). Noticed quite a difference in the two bearings. The one on the left came in the new kit from cruiser outfitters. It’s about 5mm shorter. Clutch plates are the same part #. The kit in the 62 was pretty new before the PO’s 12HT went south. Same bell housing, transmission and clutch fork in bothe the 62 and this HJ61. Putting an complete new system into this HJ61 I’m trying to figure out if I’m going to have any issues. Would be great if there was an inspection plate so I could verify the position of the bearing. Being shorter I believe I could adjust my clutch pedal until I get the it in the right position. Any thoughts are appreciated.
IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

I know the one on the left is what I have used in mine. No problems in 3ish years.
Good to know Drennan. This 61 is the same year as yours.

I had this issue with a fzj80 recently. Aftermarket kit came with the wrong bearing, even though the part number corresponded with that year and model.
Turned out there was two different throw out bearings about 5mm difference. No rhyme or reason why the difference.
I couldn't get the clutch to disengage with the shorter one.
There's very little adjustment at the clutch pedal. It's more for fine tuning pedal position and freeplay at the pedal/ MC pushrod

I'd say put a call in to cruiser outfitters for some advice before you reinstall the box

I had this issue with a fzj80 recently. Aftermarket kit came with the wrong bearing, even though the part number corresponded with that year and model.
Turned out there was two different throw out bearings about 5mm difference. No rhyme or reason why the difference.
I couldn't get the clutch to disengage with the shorter one.
There's very little adjustment at the clutch pedal. It's more for fine tuning pedal position and freeplay at the pedal/ MC pushrod

I'd say put a call in to cruiser outfitters for some advice before you reinstall the box
so the box is already loaded. I went through this and tried to understand why there are two different size bearings. The only thing I could figure is it there has to be a different bellhousing on the earlier 61’s and an adjustable slave similar to the 2F on the 60. This is a 88 61 that now has a bellhousing from the same year with the same H55 and slave (non-adjustable )as any other 88 HJ61, so would seem this would be the correct bearing. My brain tells me that you’d want a bigger bearing when there’s only one area to adjust vs two which is why I almost went with the larger one. I’m taking a gamble and realize worst case is I pull the trans back and swap to the larger bearing and lose a few hours. We are doing a ton of baselining on this truck so had to move forward so I can get it off the lift sooner than later. I’ll start it on the lift before I spend anytime hooking up drive shafts etc to see where I’m at.

so the box is already loaded. I went through this and tried to understand why there are two different size bearings. The only thing I could figure is it there has to be a different bellhousing on the earlier 61’s and an adjustable slave similar to the 2F on the 60. This is a 88 61 that now has a bellhousing from the same year with the same H55 and slave (non-adjustable )as any other 88 HJ61, so would seem this would be the correct bearing. My brain tells me that you’d want a bigger bearing when there’s only one area to adjust vs two which is why I almost went with the larger one. I’m taking a gamble and realize worst case is I pull the trans back and swap to the larger bearing and lose a few hours. We are doing a ton of baselining on this truck so had to move forward so I can get it off the lift sooner than later. I’ll start it on the lift before I spend anytime hooking up drive shafts etc to see where I’m at.

If it's on a lift, that's a bonus. I had to pull my gear box, out on my back, on the garage floor to change out the bearing. Fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom