Question for guys 100% stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick questions for you guys that haven't done any mods yet (tires included).

What is the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the drivers door?

I was :ban: at the NJ inspection station, they were using a measurement from a 1981 wagon for the baseline. That measurement was 22" and they are allowed to stretch it 3" but I missed by 1" on the high side. Once you go higher they refer you to a "special" inspection station for a stability test. I asked if I could come back with a full tank of fuel and lower tire pressure but it would difficult to mistake the truck now that they have seen it. Thanks much.

Kris

I hope someone answers your question. All I know is it is 21 inches from my frame rail to the ground.

Stability test? New Jersey sure likes their regulations. I mean you can't even pump your own gas there can you?

You are correct. We used to have some of the cheapest gas too but that has since changed.

I have an appointment for my inspection on the 26th, who would have thought that there were that many trucks in south Jersey. The crappy thing is that I'll be leaving this fine state in a month or so for a job elsewhere :doh: .

When I find out what the test entails I'll pass it on. Mr. Held may have the answer sooner as he's on 36's and J's. Oh Mr. Held you out there????

I get 20" even (ground to very bottom of door) on my 97 with the running boards removed.

Well, I guess that 1981 wasn't as far off as I had hoped. Oh well. Thanks much for the help.

This is going to far!!

I think its time to grab your pitch forks boys

wait.....do youhave thoughs in New Jersey?
LOL

NorCalSam said:
This is going to far!!

I think its time to grab your pitch forks boys

wait.....do youhave thoughs in New Jersey?
LOL

We do have dictionaries, spelling and grammer check.:D kidding

I agree that it is pretty ridiculous. Each time I have been to the inspection station here I cringe because NJ does not allow tires to stick out past the fender. With the flares gone mine stick out about 1.5". It's mostly the shoulder but on mud tires the shoulder is pretty chunky.

I'll be glad when we move on to a more relaxed state.

Last edited:
Oklahoma = No Inspections

Probably dont even need headlights here !!!

Rookie2 said:
I get about 19". My tires are pretty worn though.
Whenever I'm lined up next to a stock LX450 I seem to sit a full inch higher. Not sure why, I assume weight from the extra luxury? Probably wrong.

IBCRUSN said:
What is the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the drivers door?
I was :ban: at the NJ inspection station, they were using a measurement from a 1981 wagon for the baseline. That measurement was 22" and they are allowed to stretch it 3" but I missed by 1" on the high side. Once you go higher they refer you to a "special" inspection station for a stability test. I asked if I could come back with a full tank of fuel and lower tire pressure but it would difficult to mistake the truck now that they have seen it. Thanks much.
Kris

Whoa! Wait a second...do they really do this? That's a total anal probe. If they go as far as to take rocker panel measurements, they must perform other ridiculous measurements? And what's the stability test? Outrigger roll test like you see insurance institutes perform? And how can they hold you to an FJ60's measurement? They can't get anal with you if they don't even have the correct reference measurement. And they wonder why people snap!

celica,

That's how FL was, they don't seem to care if you're driving a rolling POS so long as they get their registration $$ each year.

450 Cruiser said:
Whoa! Wait a second...do they really do this?

Yes, unfortunately.

450 Cruiser said:
That's a total anal probe. If they go as far as to take rocker panel measurements, they must perform other ridiculous measurements?

I agree. From the conversation I had with one of the guys yesterday when I went in for my extension they take several measurements. The best part is, if you make ANY changes in height you to supposed to go back for another inspection. From my understanding they require this in case the police pull you over, see the special sticker they can check the measurements against the truck's current configuration and issue tickets based on that. I think it's complete crap that is geared for bone heads that have lifted street-only suspensions that are four feet off the ground riding on 44's.

450 Cruiser said:
And what's the stability test? Outrigger roll test like you see insurance institutes perform?

No outriggers, they have you drive up on one side up on an incline, get out and get back in. I saw the incline they use for the stability test and it's pretty sally even for an 80 with a 6" lift.

450 Cruiser said:
And how can they hold you to an FJ60's measurement?

I asked that same question and got the reply of "that's what the state gives us to go by." Oh well, I

450 Cruiser said:
They can't get anal with you if they don't even have the correct reference measurement. And they wonder why people snap!

What's particularly annoying is that I will be moving out of state very shortly after I get this inspection. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey I guess.

Last edited:
Junk spent years in Jersey with no inspection because of there rather retarded laws.

I don't think NJ was willing to incur Junk's wrath :mad: :eek:

so what state are you moving to? there are other retarded states out there as well....

I ran with OB during Coal Miner - he doesn't have his vehicle inspected, although he did have a stick on police badge....I guess being a law enforcement officer kinda helps you avoid an inspection ticket ;)

bk

bk,

Being law enforcement really helps. As yet I do not know where we're going. Although there is a reasonably good chance that we'll be in Kansas, since it is the aviation capitol of the US. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom