Question for anyone who installed a DIN stereo in a 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pull it all apart and start looking.. worst case you drive around with a hole in your dash till you get'r sorted :)

That's almost what I have now... my retro 1980's stereo only works about 25% of the time, so I won't be missing out on much! I'll take a look and see what I can do. It sure would be nice to have a decent sound system. I suppose in the worst case I could drive around with it a bit loose until I get time to mount it more securely (as long as the vibrations won't damage the unit). I don't have access to any welding equipment, so that method is out.

Gee... I'm sure going to miss that AM/FM/Cassette - NOT!!! It's state of the art - for 1987 :flipoff2: Not to mention those crackly OEM front speakers and those no-name blown/disintegrated 6x9's that don't actually produce sound - they're just there for decoration.

Do our trucks have a common ground for the speakers? I was just talking to a guy here locally and he said based on the year and such, my truck might not have a common ground. I'm thinking that it does since there's already a late 1980s (possibly early 90s) aftermarket stereo in there, and nobody here has mentioned that.

No idea... but two wires come out of the stock speakers and doors. I used the stock wiring for mine. I spliced in the speaker in the door and spliced in at the old harness. So I think they had two wires. In fact in my memory(i did this a few years ago) nothing stands out.

If you have a mulitmeter you can set it for ohms and ring out the wires to find the right one.

Basically you take the speaker out of the door. Connect one probe to one wire at the door, then the other probe you use at the harness behind the dash till you find continuity in the old connector. Then cut the wire out, and then do the next wire.

yeah, volvos have a common ground. sucks bo bo. im going to reinstall my stereo in my center consol. done one before, very secure and it forces me to replace the tiny speaker wires with some big stuff. i usualy find a stock deck to put in the dash for style points or to deter theives. or if you just leave all the wires hanging out of the dash they think someone beat them to it.

Is there a stereo that will go in the hole with out mods?

I believe the old fashioned 2 knob style radios will go in without any modifications, or at worst, maybe a simple adapter plate (that's the kind of aftermarket unit I had, from the late 80's or early 90's) . Some people have installed a DIN style stereo without properly securing it, which makes it quick and no modifications necessary.

I welded in a DIN sleeve to the studs on the bottom of the dash pad. Hopefully pics below tell the story.
aaarad1.jpg

aaarad2.jpg

Where did you get the larger black bracket?

I did the same thing as FLCruiser, with the exception of the black bracket. I just used the stock brackets that held the OEM stereo to the dash pad and welded up the DIN sleeve. The only issue is the opening is still larger than DIN size so you need to fab up some trim to fill the remaining gap. I think there has been mention of the trim plate from a late 60-early 70's VW bus that works well. I have been unable to locate this piece. Good Luck and I suggest doing it yourself because the stereo guys will fxxx it up bad if you let them try.

Dynosoar:zilla:

So I went down to Best Buy and bought a Panasonic head unit and some Pioneer speakers for the front doors and they put it right in for only a $35 addtional charge. They did a very nice job, even ran new wire to the doors because they didn't like the common ground. I guess it just depends on what BestBuy you walk into.

Peter

Perhaps everyone here is confused, or maybe it is me...

You drive a 60. You bought a double din stereo. How are you going to stuff a double din into a single din hole? You would have to cut the dash to accomodate the stereo. Am I missing something? The stereo from a 62 is a double din, and the socket to accomodate it is double din (of course).

There's a REALLY easy joke here, too easy for me to make it...

din radio

hey pd, did your install require your oem radio bezel? thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom