Question about Metal Tech Cage fitment - Frame tie in & exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I'm going to order the Metal Tech Front Profile Cage and frame tie in. Can anyone confirm if the frame tie-in will interfere with the exhaust down pipe on a stock 79 FJ40?

Thanks!

The frames tie-ins are all on the outboard side of the frame. The exhaust is inboard.

The frames tie-ins are all on the outboard side of the frame. The exhaust is inboard.
On my 79 the exhaust runs on the outside of the frame rail. I didn't buy the cruiser new but i'm almost positive this is the stock routing. It seems the frame tie-in will interfere. I eventually got a call back from Metal Tech and they weren't sure if it will interfere with the exhaust or not.

Now I guess I have two questions:
1) Does stock exhaust on a 79 run outboard of the frame rail?
2) If so, has anyone worked around this?

I can answer #1. My 79 has the original exhaust. It does run outboard of the frame. The dual downpipes cross under from the inside to the outside of the frame just aft of the front spring perch. It then runs straight aft outboard of the frame with the cat and heat shield all in there. Then it crosses back under the frame to the inboard side just aft of the rear spring perch. A frame tie in on a cage would be extremely tight at the DS footwell. I would guess this one would take a bit of custom fab. Doesn’t look impossible, just tight.

I can answer #1. My 79 has the original exhaust. It does run outboard of the frame. The dual downpipes cross under from the inside to the outside of the frame just aft of the front spring perch. It then runs straight aft outboard of the frame with the cat and heat shield all in there. Then it crosses back under the frame to the inboard side just aft of the rear spring perch. A frame tie in on a cage would be extremely tight at the DS footwell. I would guess this one would take a bit of custom fab. Doesn’t look impossible, just tight.
Well that's a buzz kill. I was hoping to have a somewhat simple premade method of tying the cage to the frame. Based on conversations here and talking with metal tech
Well that's a buzz kill. I was hoping to have a somewhat simple premade method of tying the cage to the frame. Based on conversations here and talking with metal tech I do not believe

Man these pop ads are making it impossible to respond on my phone....

I was trying to say doesn't look like the metal tech frame tie in will work with the later cruisers. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the replies!

Buy a "Star" and get rid of the ads.

Well that's a buzz kill. I was hoping to have a somewhat simple premade method of tying the cage to the frame. Based on conversations here and talking with metal tech

Well that's a buzz kill. I was hoping to have a somewhat simple premade method of tying the cage to the frame. Based on conversations here and talking with metal tech I do not believe
I don’t mean to be a buzz kill. Just want to give accurate information and save you the time of buying the wrong parts. For what it’s worth, the metal tech cages that I have personally seen are gorgeous. I have seen them without tie ins and they sure seem pretty robust. Especially with the plate across the rear wheel wells distributing the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom