Question About Installing Rear Lunchbox Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

In a few days I'm going to be installing a lunchbox auto locker into the rear diff of my FZJ80. I'm just now getting into the world of mechanics and have watched videos of how to remove the rear axles and such and it honestly does seem really easy. I was wondering what sort of products, sealants, tools, etc are required or recommended for a more complete and proper job. Obviously, I'll get oil and sealant for the differential once I'm done but what else should I do.

Thanks for any help!

You will need gaskets for the axle flanges as they will tear win you slide out the axles.

This might help

IMHO I would not install one of these. Too many issues with them. They actuate at odd times. A fellow Mudder had them in both pumpkins. He was towing a small camper trailer on the interstate. Rear pumpkin heated up red hot. Slight sway of the trailer caused the actuator to lock up. Had to get the pumpkins switched mid journey. Heard similar issues on the trail.

IMHO I would not install one of these. Too many issues with them. They actuate at odd times. A fellow Mudder had them in both pumpkins. He was towing a small camper trailer on the interstate. Rear pumpkin heated up red hot. Slight sway of the trailer caused the actuator to lock up. Had to get the pumpkins switched mid journey. Heard similar issues on the trail.

That's not something I've ever heard of, and I'd have a hard time blaming the locker for that. A lunchbox locker stays locked all the time, and only releases when under no load, with one tire moving faster than the other. (like coasting around a corner...)

Had mine for years with zero issues. Dont notice it other than a clicking when turning on pavement. It's made a huge difference in traction.

ive had mine in for about a year with no issues.

youll need axle hub seals x2, diff gasket, 4qt gear oil, some wheel bearing grease (helps with assembly), good feeler gauges, and you may want to consider seeing what size side thrust washers are available. you will be reusing the thrust washers and if they are too thick you will have too tight of clearance and the diff will always be locked, too loose and it wont lock. mine were on the thick side so I was just able to take them down to make them work.

if you haven't serviced your wheel bearings now would be a good time to consider that as something to do while your there

I’ve got the Spartan locker in the rear and open front. Drives perfectly on and off road. I wouldn’t install one in both pumpkins. Get a limited slip or selectable locker for the front or keep it open.

I’ve got the Spartan locker in the rear and open front. Drives perfectly on and off road. I wouldn’t install one in both pumpkins. Get a limited slip or selectable locker for the front or keep it open.

Yeah I’m going Spartan rear only and maybe someday I’ll put an ARB locker up front.

I had two aussies installed in a 92 4Runner and it was a blast. Installed them myself with a buddy supervising to make sure i did everything right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom