question about Canada Imports (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the catch? Why couldn't a yank locate a rig he or she likes over the net, flies to canada, buys it and drives it over the border, gets it registered in the U.S, etc., etc.?????

All sorts of rules and regulations by the EPA and DOT. I have a vehicle originally from Canada (BJ42). It was much more difficult to title and license even when everything was done correctly, due to the motor vehicle department's lack of knowledge on imports. If everything was not done correctly you would have a giant paper weight.

Apparently, at one time a Canadian could drive his vehicle across the border, sell it in the US and just ease back over the border. I think those days are gone.

If they are feeling particularly visious they will crush the vehicle right infront of you. If you go to the internation section you can read about a guy who had this happen to him.

As for beeing shot, I doubt it... although it depends which way you are going I guess... but Canadian Border Guards are unarmed.

Search the 70 series section and the diesel section... many threads with cook book procedures to getting canada spec cruisers into the US... including RI(registered importer) contact #'s that have been used successfully, as well as pricing. Not too dificult to do yourself if you bring in an old enough truck to be exempt from DOT/EPA.

The 1985 BJ70 I imported was a piece of cake.

Cost $350 for an experienced importer. $400 or so in Canadian duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom