Quebec ban now permanent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
since a great number of the Land Cruisers in Canada now are RHD this might apply to you in the near future...
Quebec ban now permanent - IVOAC.ca Forums

if it can happen in one province then it can happen in anyone of them.

No kidding, pretty insane. I know the Quebeqers were bringing in tons of sports cars, cruisers weren't big on their list although a bunch did go in, maybe the excess of sports cars did have an effect on the number of accidents - that coupled with their safety inspections (lack of after initial importation) and the "speed" culture.

I guess their tune has certainly changed from when I was talking to all the dealers years ago - they figured they were invulnerable - seems they are the first ones break out the white flag...

Other provinces will follow, although at this point it won't matter much - the market is pretty saturated with cruisers - for now.

Louis, as of April 28th 2009 there was no issue. April 29th suddenly a ban was implimented (as i think you already know).
In april Ford implimented a test program in Quebec of new RHD vehicles for the posties there. the next month a ban is launched. that bitch signed the ban as soon as it crossed her desk, you know as well as i do bans are for the good of big business, not for the good of the general public. unless $$$$ is involved NOTHING moves that fast in politics.

i agree, the market is flooded with RHD vehicles and those that rushed onto the ban wagon began to realize that owning something not made or sold in Canada is not an easy or cheap reality. if they bought because you could own something nice for dirt cheap then when it came time to have it serviced or repaired then the "cheap" side became a distant memory.

if you look at their study they did they concentrated on only sports cars and only between April and Oct. if i wanted to ban something i would do the exact same proceedure, it is a sure win hands down.

but that might be the chink in the armor, to ban ALL RHD vehicles do to a flawed report on a specific vehicle application might be worked on.

This has the finger prints of the CCMTA all over it, that group of scumbags is all over this nonsense.

Do you know if they will allow for a newer model to be converted to LHD to be legal?

I ask this as I have read that they may also be cracking down on some SAS mods...so not sure if a RHD to LHD will be allowed.

LHD would probably be alright, don't forget that quebec has ties to franceland as far as importing goes, they drive LHD there - I suspect that if people were importing many cars from france then things would be a little different.

it is a RHD ban, not an import ban.

someone want to explain to me how a 25 year old vehicle is safer than a 15 year old vehicle?
and
how a RHD LC sitting beside a LHD LC is any more dangerous?

we all know it isn't the vehicles steering location that is the problem, it is a tard behind the wheel.

i have found that those that can not drive RHD SUCK at driving LHD.

also, as noted on Canada's Worse Driver show, the location of the wheel is NOT the determining factor since even the worse drivers in Canada could drive the RHD (actually better) vehicle.
http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/canadas-worst-driver#clip235744

LHD would probably be alright, don't forget that quebec has ties to franceland as far as importing goes, they drive LHD there - I suspect that if people were importing many cars from france then things would be a little different.

I often wondered why more rigs are not imported from France, or other LHD European countries...is it logistics, or price?

I think that rhd vehicles are great I have had 2.... but they are not made to drive on the right side of the road and are dangerous when wanting to pass, merge, or make a left across traffic. I can totally understand a ban although it sucks for those of us who want to throw caution to the wind and drive a great vehicle (toyota 2lte's aside) on the wrong side of the road.

Are you Jim Pattison?

I will tend to agree that passing and turning left in multiple lanes is dangerous, that is factual, but who passes in a landcruiser? Turning left is just as dangerous in multiple lane situations as it is for a LHD, maybe just slightly more, so lie anything else one has to just wait until it is safe to do so. But the passing is an issue and perhaps the only real issue that I could ever find - passing in a 2 lane road with opposing traffic.

:those that can not drive RHD safely can not drive LHD:

i have been DD driving RHD for 10 years, many different ones AND bouncing back and forth with driving LHD on a regular basis. (my tow vehicle is LHD)
my wife has been driving a RHD for the same amount of time.
mostly city, good chunck of highway and the last couple years in the rurals.

passing can be a challenge ... best advice, DON"T FAWKING TAILGATE. the further back you are the better the viewing angle.
left hand turns .... dangerous, LHD / RHD no matter which, both can kill you.
right hand turns ... to me are more dangerous. not as life threatening but still you have the passengers head, the B pillar and the C pillar to contend with so caution is important.
merging, ... merging is dangerous in Canada. it really is that simple and no matter where the steering wheel is located you have to use caution.

like anything there is a learning curve, if you can not adapt then don't drive something you are not comfortable with.
BUT
don't fawking tell me the RHD is more dangerous than the LHD just because YOU can NOT adapt. i have sold over 200 vehicles, of those vehicles 2 persons were in accidents. NEITHER were because the steering was on the RHS, it was driver error. one pulled a Uturn at the bottom of the hill and another car came over and nailed her. the other was a drunk pulled out infront of the truck and got nailed.
according to both ICBC and SAAQ 60 out of the 200 should have been involved in accidents. ALL 60 SHOULD HAVE BEEN because they were RHD. but instead it is 2 (1% not 30%) and neither were because of RHD.

Vinny, your opinion is incorrect. there is no understanding the ban.
I think that rhd vehicles are great I have had 2.... but they are not made to drive on the right side of the road and are dangerous when wanting to pass, merge, or make a left across traffic. I can totally understand a ban although it sucks for those of us who want to throw caution to the wind and drive a great vehicle (toyota 2lte's aside) on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited:
crushers you have some good stats and I do not know if you are right or not I was just putting some facts of my experience in the pot and they are just opinions not to be judged right of wrong. Obviously I am not biased like yourself as I do not sell RHD for a living, I just imported them for myself to drive. I am not saying that I wouldnt want another RHD vehicle, but it is a fact that they are not designed to be driven on the left side of the road.

"I will tend to agree that passing and turning left in multiple lanes is dangerous, that is factual, but who passes in a landcruiser?"
there are RHD vehicles that are not LCs and have enough power to pass

anyways it doesnt matter driving on the road is one of the most dangerous things you can do in life

"I will tend to agree that passing and turning left in multiple lanes is dangerous, that is factual, but who passes in a landcruiser?"
there are RHD vehicles that are not LCs and have enough power to pass

A turbo cruiser has enough power to pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom