Q- for the sage 100 guys- 4.7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy- I have owned a few 4.7 trucks in the past and know most of the little "need to" lists for each iteration I've had. I have no problem doing the work and enjoy most of it. I do, however, let the Toyota dealer do the TB/WP just for piece of mind for me and future owner. My progression has been GX 470, Sequoia, and now a new to me LX 470 (2000). It is a clean example -frame, interior, exterior all good. The owner kept it inside and did what he thought was good maintenance. I looked at all of the paperwork and found that there was no proof of timing belt being done. I figured someone did the first and it was just behind on the 2nd. No stickers or records but it ran great. I decided to take the chance and just replace it anyway. There is 200k exactly on the truck. Starter, CVs, battery, plugs, coils, manifolds+ gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc have been done. When he handed my keys today, he handed me the belt and said this is the original belt my man... I had them do the crank seal, timing belt, water pump, pulley, thermostat, and serpentine belt.

Long way of asking if you think there would be a problem in the future with the belt having been the original? It was purring before and now it is purring again. Really pretty amazing engine.

Any thoughts or verbal abuse will be appreciated!

P.S- It has new 285/75/16 Toyos so I am going to try to find some wheels and it seems like a snipe hunt. KMC, Rhino, SCS all seem to be out. Thoughts appreciated there too.

tempImageFnCG4v.png

Should not be any issues at all if it was original. Good on you for getting it taken care of now along with all the other stuff. Assuming you had them do all the pulleys and tensioner. Did they do/do you have records of the fan bracket being replaced recently with OEM? That might be the only item to think about.

You are fine. Tires cupping a bit, might want to sort that out as tires for these things are now like $500 a piece!

Thanks guys. The fan bracket is new. I just can't believe someone kept this thing in such great shape cosmetically and light maintenance, but skipped the big one- twice! I think some of these Lexus peeps are not thinking in those terms.

Its rarely the belts that fail, but rather a component in the path that fails, then destroys the belt and it can cascade from there.

Dunno why people roll the dice on these motors even if the 98-05 are allegedly not interference. Its such a rare PM item at 10yr / 90k. Do it and forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom