Choosing between the 4.7 V8 or 4.2 V6 Turbo Diesel? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Delighted to join this forum. I'm currently in the market for a Land Cruiser 100 series, residing in Croatia but focusing my search within central Europe.

My preference leans towards the post-2003 models of the LC100. The reason being they are equipped with a 5-speed gearbox, ISOFIX, and a few other niceties that aren't readily retrofittable to older models. In contrast, older models' features, such as the rear-end locker, can be added later.

However, I'm grappling with the choice of engine. I understand the V8 has a higher fuel consumption rate, but by how much exactly? Furthermore, when it comes to towing, would the diesel variant outperform?

What about reliability? Are there notable differences? And considering I'm in Europe, how accessible are parts for each variant? I've noticed a ratio of about 4 or 5 V6s on the market for each V8.

If issues arise, which engine tends to be cheaper to repair? Moreover, which is more cost-effective to maintain in the long run?

I'm primarily considering vehicles with a mileage of between 150,000 and 300,000 km.

I apologise for the barrage of questions. I'm quite new to Land Cruisers and off-road vehicles in general. While I plan to handle basic maintenance myself, such as oil and filter changes, more complex tasks will likely require a mechanic's assistance.

Any insights and advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

I had an ‘05 1HDFTE 100 series about 5 years ago back in PH. I now have an ‘07 100 series with VVTi. The two motors are apples to oranges. Here in North America (Las Vegas to be specific) I can’t imagine driving a 1HDFTE specifically on how quick you need to accelerate coming off an exit to merge with the freeway. The 4.2 inline 6 TD Toyota motor is not quick. The 2UZ with or without VVTi picks up speed significantly quicker than the 1HD. But if your use is within city driving and not same as here, #1 the sweeet diesel idle engine sound is incomparable, I absolutely love it and possibly is the best sounding diesel engine bar none. #2 fuel consumption-wise, the diesel engine is better, I was getting 18mpg on mine city driving back then.

Maintenance, the 2UZ for me is more convenient to upkeep. For me the 1HD needs more tlc because of the carbon deposits in the EGR which I have to clean every 40k kms.

Firstly, welcome to the 'mud.

The 4.2 litre diesel comes in 2 forms in the 100 series:

1HZ (HZJ-105) inline 6 (not V6) with mechanical injection. It's in the 105 series, which is easy to distinguish as it has a solid front axle. FYI these are generally seen in more remote regions, some sold here on Australia. The 1HZ is a primitive - long lasting - lump, which turns diesel into noise and smoke, with some forward progress.

1HD-FTE (HDJ-100) inline 6 (not V6), which is by far the most common diesel engine, and it's in the 100 series with IFS (independent front suspension). It's smooth, quiet, torquey and a real peach. Properly maintained will last a long time.

2UZ (UZJ-100) is the V8 option. It's one of the best motors ever made by Toyota, with at least 2 examples having exceeded 1,000,000 miles (1.6M+ KMs) with only regular servicing.

When I bought my first 100 series, I tried both the diesel and the V8 petrol, and couldn't find a reason to buy the diesel.

The big use case for the diesel is towing big trailers, where the torquey diesel is better suited.

TL;DR diesel v V8?
Buy the one you like best and with good service history.

I had an ‘05 1HDFTE 100 series about 5 years ago back in PH. I now have an ‘07 100 series with VVTi. The two motors are apples to oranges. Here in North America (Las Vegas to be specific) I can’t imagine driving a 1HDFTE specifically on how quick you need to accelerate coming off an exit to merge with the freeway. The 4.2 inline 6 TD Toyota motor is not quick. The 2UZ with or without VVTi picks up speed significantly quicker than the 1HD. But if your use is within city driving and not same as here, #1 the sweeet diesel idle engine sound is incomparable, I absolutely love it and possibly is the best sounding diesel engine bar none. #2 fuel consumption-wise, the diesel engine is better, I was getting 18mpg on mine city driving back then.

Maintenance, the 2UZ for me is more convenient to upkeep. For me the 1HD needs more tlc because of the carbon deposits in the EGR which I have to clean every 40k kms.
thanks for the reply.
my driving is mostly highway or countryside 60-80km/h and plan to do some off roading/camping with it.
I want the V8 a bit more then the straight 6, but I dont think I will have the chance to drive both before I purchase one as I would have too drive quite far to get one.
I also occasionally tow a 750kg trailer, but I am sure I will tow heavier stuff once I have the cruiser, also on occasional basis.

Firstly, welcome to the 'mud.

The 4.2 litre diesel comes in 2 forms in the 100 series:

1HZ (HZJ-105) inline 6 (not V6) with mechanical injection. It's in the 105 series, which is easy to distinguish as it has a solid front axle. FYI these are generally seen in more remote regions, some sold here on Australia. The 1HZ is a primitive - long lasting - lump, which turns diesel into noise and smoke, with some forward progress.

1HD-FTE (HDJ-100) inline 6 (not V6), which is by far the most common diesel engine, and it's in the 100 series with IFS (independent front suspension). It's smooth, quiet, torquey and a real peach. Properly maintained will last a long time.

2UZ (UZJ-100) is the V8 option. It's one of the best motors ever made by Toyota, with at least 2 examples having exceeded 1,000,000 miles (1.6M+ KMs) with only regular servicing.

When I bought my first 100 series, I tried both the diesel and the V8 petrol, and couldn't find a reason to buy the diesel.

The big use case for the diesel is towing big trailers, where the torquey diesel is better suited.

TL;DR diesel v V8?
Buy the one you like best and with good service history.

thanks for the reply :)
my bad I thought its a v6 engine, I think I got confused from the prado:rolleyes:

the engines sold in EU are the straight 6 with turbo(1HD-FTE) and the benzine 4.7 V8 (UZJ-100).
also I saw some LC105 for sale, but I am not sure which engines they had, I guess the terrible 6 cylinder you describe. thank god I know they come with a different diesel engine now as I was considering it but I dont want a car with such engine.

most of my drives are highway or fast country roads, I tow occasionally low weight unbraked 3-meter trailer, but I am sure I will be towing heavier stuff once I get the cruiser, also on the occasional basis.
I guess the V8 suites me better.
how much of a fuel consumption difference is there between the V8 and the I6 on highway driving?

how much of a fuel consumption difference is there between the V8 and the I6 on highway driving?
stock setup comparison, the diesel motor still eats up less fuel than the v8 gasser. With your mentioned usage of pulling a trailer, you are fortunate to have the diesel motor available as an option, it pulls great bec of its torque.

I don't know what fuel costs are in the EU but I would never buy a diesel in the USA. I tow with my 2UZ and it is really good at low elevations. Above 4000ft it starts to become anemic and hard to tow, but at lower elevations is has a lot of go. If I lived at sea level I probably wouldn't have felt the need to supercharge my 2UZ.

On top of that in the USA diesel is extremely expensive. I also run on E85 which is nearly 50% the cost per gallon of diesel. You would have to get impossibly good MPG in order for a diesel to cost less per mile than E85.

A diesel with no turbo is going to be crap at towing compared to the 2UZ also.

stock setup comparison, the diesel motor still eats up less fuel than the v8 gasser. With your mentioned usage of pulling a trailer, you are fortunate to have the diesel motor available as an option, it pulls great bec of its torque.

maybe I should consider diesel if I see a nice car in good condition :hmm:

I don't know what fuel costs are in the EU but I would never buy a diesel in the USA. I tow with my 2UZ and it is really good at low elevations. Above 4000ft it starts to become anemic and hard to tow, but at lower elevations is has a lot of go. If I lived at sea level I probably wouldn't have felt the need to supercharge my 2UZ.

On top of that in the USA diesel is extremely expensive. I also run on E85 which is nearly 50% the cost per gallon of diesel. You would have to get impossibly good MPG in order for a diesel to cost less per mile than E85.

A diesel with no turbo is going to be crap at towing compared to the 2UZ also.

I live in 3000ft elevation and do drives to sea level quite often. would I have a problem with the benzine motor?

the price for diesel and benzine in EU changes from country to country. usually, diesel is about 0-10% cheaper, where I live its 10% cheaper then benzine.
I didn't know diesel in the USA is so expensive, no wonder there is no diesel version of the motor when the fuel is so expensive :O
by the way the benzine 4.7L motor should run on E5 or E10 fuels?
in EU most of the cheaper benzine (we call it 95) is E10 which contain 10% ethanol. (because of the CO2 nonsense). some cars can't run on that because it causes long term issues with the rubber seals in the engine. if I have to run the 4.7 engine on expensive fuel it shoot up the price of fuel quite substantially, we have 98 and some stations 100/102 E5 fuels.

I have heard that in many parts of the EU gas fuel is $7 or $8 a gallon, i can't imagine driving a 12mpg car there very much at that price. With it being $4 sometimes here, i hate to think that I'm chewing though a gallon every few miles, so I don't think about it!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom