PVC on a FZFE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me how to change the PVC valve on a 96 80 series? I know it's probably simple, but I've never done it. :whoops: Just changed my own plugs though and wires. :cheers:

After the pvc, is there any thing to worry about if doing the rotor and cap assuming I can find them? ???

:beer:

It's very simple. There is a steel PCV coming out of the valve cover. Pull the hose off of the top. Carefully pull the PCV out without letting the chunks of grommet fall into the valve cover. replace with new valve using a new grommet. Use OEM parts.

I just fixed a Volvo 850 the dealer told the customer it would cost $4000 to fix the oil leak. The PCV system was plugged. cost me about a buck in hose to replace the soft hoses and about 2 hours to clean the whole system well.

That makes sense thank you, but the pvc does not come with a grommet and the dealer told me there wasn't one. ??? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So is the dealer f-ing me or can I buy a grommet too? How do you get the old one out if it's falling apart? Thanks

I don't think the dealer is purposely misleading you. I'm sure he would be happy to sell you more parts. He is apparently incompetant though. There is a grommet. It does go bad and it should be replaced with the PCV.

as posted by our supremely competant c-dan on a similar post

The valve is a 12204-35040 and the grommet is a 90480-18001.

Valve, 12204-35040 or 12204-35040-73

Gromet, 90480-18001

:D

this is killing me.. PVC= poly vinyl chloride. Good for household drain pipes, sprinkler systems, etc. Positive Crankcase Ventilation is facilitated by your properly operating PCV valve.

Ok, sorry, back on track. I just did mine but didn't do the grommet.. C-Dan, can you send me one? PM me the details, sir. thank you. carry on, all...

>> How do you get the old one out if it's falling apart? <<

Very carefully. If chunks fall into the valve cover then you'll have to fish them out with needle nose pliars and a flashlight.

-B-

They are available at any parts shop.

[quote author=nakman link=board=2;threadid=6583;start=msg53443#msg53443 date=1066776781]
this is killing me.. PVC= poly vinyl chloride. Good for household drain pipes, sprinkler systems, etc. Positive Crankcase Ventilation is facilitated by your properly operating PCV valve.
[/quote]

You're right of course. Don't know why I have PCV on the brain. It is PVC. :slap: Typing faster than I can think, I suppose. :whoops:

It was a PITA to replace the CPV on my motor. I had to twist the valve out of there with a pair of channel locks, and the brittle grommet bits fell in the valve cover. Have fun.

Ok, here is the easy way to remove the rubber chunks that fall down into the valve cover. Pay attention, I said easy, I did not say safe! Since this method is not safe, it is not recommended. So I am only telling you how not to do it, as nobody would ever choose the easy way over the safe way, right?

1. Remove the grommet. On a 96 it will most likely already be quit stiff, and will break apart to a greater or lessor extent when removed. 2. Get a short plastic hose that is small enough to fit through the opening in the valve cover for the PCV valve and tape up one end to your wife's favorite vacuum cleaner. 3. You have already figured out what to do next. Please hope that there are not sufficient gasoline fumes in the valve cover to cause your wife's favorite vacuum cleaner to explode. Or at least hope that you get out the broken grommet bits before it blows. Figure out how to blame the exploded vacuum cleaner on the neighbor, or at least on the cat. 4. Try not to be too disappointed if the vacuum cleaner does not explode, as everyone is not likely to be so lucky.

Rich

OK, Rich, so let me know if I got this right.

Tell wife to stand some distance away and hold the vacumn while you get out the grommet bits? :eek: :flipoff2: :D

Could be known as a win - win. :p :D :flipoff2:

only win win for your wife junk, she don't have to vacuum, and she don't have to put up with you :)

I also have a '96. Cruiserdan, you list two part numbers for the valve, how would one verify which is needed? Thanks, Bob

Same part, two different numbers, both work. The difference is the -73 is "retail" packaged in bubble pack. The part inside is the same. These apply to 1FZFE engines.

D-

Dan, Thanks for the answer. Do you sell these, and if so, how do I order?
Thanks again, Bob.

Yup,

PM me :D

No, that's PVC. Postive ventilation crankcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom