Putting Stereo in FJ40- Help Landpimp!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Landpimp,

Looking at copying your setup and putting a set of Bose 151 speakers in my 40. The Bose website mentions the wattage rating at 4 ohms. How many ohms does a car stereo put out and have you had any trouble with yours? What type of head unit do you have and are you running any amps? I figure you probably aren't since the max rating on the 151's is 80 watts? Are you happy with the way it sounds? I'm going to be without the top most of the time so I want to put something in that I'll be able to hear! My cheap ass 6x9's in $10.00 speaker boxes with my $20.00 head unit just ain't cuttin it any longer! Thanks in advance for your reply:D

Auto speakers are 4 ohms. If you want something that will sound good with your top off, you will have to sacrifice space. Your best bet is a pair of at least 12'' subwoofers and some good power to them. At least 100 watts rms per speaker. And up front run 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" full range speakers. Do a two amp set up 100x2 for the subs and 75x2 for the full range. Think about upgrading to a gm alternator if you do this. If you have anymore questions drop me a email, I've been installing car stereo for the last 11 or so odd years.

Are you out there Landpimp????

No problems at all with the Bose speakers. I have a Alpine CD player, no amp. MB Quartz speakers in the doors(4") no kiddin it sounds KILLER and I seldom crank it up as loud as it does. Not one regret at all.

If you want to be able to hear them with the top off, mount them behind your head(or on the sides) on the roll bar...my buddy has his like this and we can hear it fine with the top off. With the ARB mounts you will be able to aim them pretty good.

I think the Apline is "rated" at 40x4 watts.......but it's prolly more like 12watts in reality. I have 3-4 of the same Alpine and I really like em, bout $150 each. I just put an Eclispe CD in my fj60......not all that impressed seeing how it gets REAL hot and stops playing CD's....damn shop said they would pull it out and send it out.....I said BS, you WILL replace it on the spot, heck it's only 4 weeks old......freaking asshats!

One thing that bugs me about all the CD players.....you can't see the numbers in the sun or with polarized sunglasses on.... Not a huge deal but still bugs me.

any guestions please ask. But I am not a stereo guru by anymeans.

John H

Thanks for the advice Godzilla and Landpimp.

Godzilla,
The reason I'm going with the Bose 151 setup that Landpimp used is beacuse space is at a premium as I use my 40 to hunt with and there is none too much space already. I've actually thought about selling my 40 and buying a 60 or 62 for that very reason. I'm trying to find a way to make my 40 work as I know it would kill me to part with it.. :-\

I built a box that fits in between the fenderwells in the rear. It runs from the angled part to the rear. Used a piano hinge in the top about 1/4 of the way back and put a partition in it. The speakers use the front 1/4 and th rest is great for storage. I made a little lock mecanism so it doubles as a tool locker. By the way, i used 4 pioneer 6 1/2" 3 way speakers and it gets loud as hell. Pioneer head unit too in a tuffy console. Very happy with the console as well (not with the price). I am looking into making a couple of knock off consoles that would be the same size and shape as the tuffy for some friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom