Put 33's on stock rim - now making a clicking sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I added 33' bfg to the FJ62 I am getting a clicking noise , probably speedo? is this normal ? are there any modifications that I needed to make to driveshaft, speedo cable etc?
Thanks

is the clicking noise comming from the front brakes? does it go away when you hit the brakes? shouldn't have to do any mods to anything to make them fit really. certainly not driveshafts or speedo cables.

Are you using the stock steel rims? If not you may have the wrong back spacing and the rims are hitting the calipers? Or maybe your birfields are starting to go, clicking is one of the signs.

Thanks all..using stock rims, speedo does not flicker, T case was rebuilt...Just drove again and don't hear the noise...! I'll keep the birfields in mind though...BTW truck looks awesome with the 33's on stock! rides like a dream...no wandering like a read in some threads

hello i am an fj60 newb

i also have 33s on stock rims and the clicking noise. what are these birfields you men speak of?

hello i am an fj60 newb

i also have 33s on stock rims and the clicking noise. what are these birfields you men speak of?

Birfield joints (birfs) are the CV joints in the front axle. There is an inspection port in the top of the knuckle housing through which moly grease can be added to keep them lubed. If the clicking is only present when the front axle is engaged at the hubs, and is only noticeable in turns, then dry and/or worn birfs are the likely culprit.

are the wheel weights hitting the steering linkage at the front?

I'm gonna agree and say maybe a rock in the tread.

where is the inspection window to check on the inner hub?

Towards the front of the knuckle housing on the top you'll find a threaded plug with a square head. If you clean up the area around it, and open it up, you can pump grease in with a grease gun and needle, or a syringe of some type.

I put a new set of BFGs on my F250 and had that clicking noise. Drove me crazy and I couldn't figure out what it was. Of course I never looked at the tread. Im going to go with a rock in the tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom