Purchase advice / intro thread (FJ43, 1974) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
New to the FJ world, considering a purchase. Any input/perspective is appreciated!

I am located in Colombia (for the next few years). The market here is pretty varied with total crap and amazing restorations. I am, for budget reasons, looking for something in between.

This came up yesterday.
Toyota Land Cruiser 4.2 FJ43, 1974
Asking about $9000USD.

1600km since engine rebuild.
Has power steering.
Original type brake system.
Chassis/engine reported to be in great conditions.
Only 'offs' are the top is apparenlty far from original to the style (but labour here is cheap to have something new made) and second the paint is not in the best shape.

Photos are from the listing. Will try to go see it today. Listing is here with even more photos.

D_NQ_NP_2X_621707-MCO52029369861_102022-F.jpeg
D_NQ_NP_2X_621960-MCO52029482312_102022-F.jpeg
D_NQ_NP_2X_629987-MLA52029856117_102022-F.jpeg
D_NQ_NP_2X_656240-MCO52029484326_102022-F.jpeg
D_NQ_NP_2X_697149-MCO52029484325_102022-F.jpeg

Front bib is 1/79+. The front turn signals are from a 70 series. $9,000 USD certainly worth a good look. The link showed $45,000 which obviously wasn't US dollars. If your thinking of just driving while there or importing later would make a difference as well. New to 40 series would find someone knowledgeable to look it over for workmanship.

I'd buy it for 9K, heck, pick it up, ship it to me and let me know how much you want ?

Not bad at all. Drove it around the lot (dirt) without issue. Engine was cold to start and turned over no problem. Undercarriage looks ok too (see photos). It has been raining like crazy here and the truck was dry inside, save a few spots. But I expected it soaked given the torrential rain we saw yesterday in Bogotá.

64563D10-C2D5-4C27-9AA4-5DD36FCE04CE.jpeg

6DA1D132-92C5-4904-B76F-03A19AA5E79B.jpeg

146B7333-26D4-4266-B798-14CAFF3F8273.jpeg

D9A5A14A-53ED-4026-AA1F-9EC948FA1A90.jpeg

1458FF51-E22E-41C5-9A2B-0FE27543A9B0.jpeg

Engine seems to be F 3.9l (not 2F), which is original to the model year.

The top general shape is similar to an original one. Color and probably material use are different but that may be ok.

Doesn't look too bad in picture for the price. As always you need to guess what hides behind the paint.

Rear cross member and tail lights look slightly weird from the angle, do you have better pictures?

Engine seems to be F 3.9l (not 2F), which is original to the model year.

The top general shape is similar to an original one. Color and probably material use are different but that may be ok.

Doesn't look too bad in picture for the price. As always you need to guess what hides behind the paint.
Rear cross member and tail lights look slightly weird from the angle, do you have better pictures?
8ED76887-95F6-409B-8317-EDE7577C636B.jpeg
C336CFE5-2BED-46F2-BA85-DDE2872EB689.jpeg
B2C053BF-7B01-43D5-B357-E4C8E8CF65CE.jpeg
EA1C4799-C9BF-481D-BD9E-511A3D23A055.jpeg

That frame and interior is mint. That would be $20k here, easily.

it's a 43. post pics of inside of frame rail behind front motor mounts and spring mounts. They are usually broken there.
You can see the steering box mount was already re welded back to the frame.

And the spring mount is bolted on, not riveted.

If you want to be nick picky it also missing the rear sway bar. For $9K looks like a solid start for a mid wheel base. I would never bother to import a FJ40 from South America. Probably not a FJ45 unless a troopy. Mid wheel is a different story. Soft top model might be easier to deal with here. All the hard top models in Columbia have a locally made top and finding parts would be very difficult on one over forty years old. Up to 75 the soft top ambulance doors opened on the left first on LHD models. Only barn door models we had here ended in 74. Trying to convert to ambulance doors requires more work relocating the spare tire. Wish I could source a set of those doors for an early soft top I have that has barn doors and spare on the right.

If the oil filter is on the passenger and not on the left side attached to the intake manifold most likely the original engine. 9/73-1/75 (74 model) had a one model year engine.

I would purchase this for $9K in a heart beat. But I am a parts junky and wouldn't searching for parts and paying today's prices.

And the spring pin has nuts and bolts ? never seen that.

I've never seen a Colombian 40 series that hadn't had at least one bolted or re-welded spring hanger

That being said this one has an original VIN plate (not common) and the frame doesn't looks all bondo shiny which is also not common

I think the truck looks great, good find, worth the money all day, I was looking at the 2 bolts on the spring pin, not the missing rivets on hanger.
OP says 74' , curious if the non us market units got sway bar mounts in 74' ? I did not think sway bars started on anything until after 74 but I am not familair with non us market options & years they were started/deleted. Matt, on the VIN plate, was there an additional tag from factory on the upper right rivet or is that a replacement rivet in your opinion ? The others do look to be factory which would that vin came with that tub

Thank you all! Going to try to make the buy (not the easiest process here) but I am optimistic. I've been wading through countless crap listings. Either totally botch 'restorations' or franked-cruisers. This one has some promise.

...and if I manage to get it, I'll happily try to track down year-appropriate parts to swap out (thank you to Living In The Past).

There are a lot better ones in Colombia for that price, I got one on February and shipped it to the states.

I’d probably buy for that price… perhaps see if they’ll take a somewhat lower offer.

1) I’m concerned about welding around the frame where the steering box is… makes me concerned and wonder why. Frames tend to crack next to welds… not ideal that the steering box mount has a bead of weld around it.

2) check around all spring and shackle mounts for cracking &/or rust.

3) I’d add a Vacuum booster, dual circuit brake master, and front Toyota disc brakes.

4) I’d run the top, looks well made (at least in pictures.

Where did you track yours down? Which site?
Hola Amigo. Did you find an FJ43? I just bought one here in Bogota. I'm stoked. Been looking around here in Bogota for months for the right FJ43. Last week I stopped at Toyo Garage Parts to inquire if they knew anyone looking to sell. Low and behold, the stars lined up and within 30 minutes the owner of the cleanest, original FJ43 shows up. I knew I had to have it. He had all of the original import papers from Japan, a build sheet, the tool kit, manuals, totally serviced at the dealer since 1981. It also has A/C, heat and a hard top. I was also looking on Facebook marketplace and Tucarro.com. Also was lurking around some shops that do repairs of FJ models and visiting a few car dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom