Pulley noise or something worse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Only had this LX470 for about 2 months, I did the timing belt service immediately. It's making a strange noise that I hope is only a pulley. Odometer reads 120k but carfax shows it had nearly 300k a couple years ago so I'm guessing it's a replacement engine. The old timing belt looked new. Here's the video, please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Will need to remove and inspect belt, tensioner, and pulleys. Sounds like some belt squeal but lets see what you can find out

Pull the serpentine belt and fire it back up.

Also, you might check over your radiator hoses. It might be an illusion but they do look very swollen.

Is it me or does it look like the fan clutch is wobbling a bit?
Depending on that, it could be time to replace tensionor pulley bearing and idler pulley. While you are in there you might as well throw a new fan clutch. From experience, when I did my pulley's my fan clutch crapped out because I was having to move it around. $65 later I was all good with a new Aisin fan clutch.

Is it me or does it look like the fan clutch is wobbling a bit?

YES-- I'm a total noob and even I noticed the wobble. I have an 80 mile trip tomorrow, is that out of the question with the fan clutch and pulleys in this state? Is it catastrophic if they fail?

YES-- I'm a total noob and even I noticed the wobble. I have an 80 mile trip tomorrow, is that out of the question with the fan clutch and pulleys in this state? Is it catastrophic if they fail?
You should be good... trip like that shouldn't cause a catastrophic failure. Just something that those items should be on the short list to handle.

Thanks for your help. Here's a video for replacing the radiator fan bracket for anyone else with this issue

I should have had it replaced with the timing belt service, this looks difficult! Oh well you live and you learn: anyone looking to baseline their LX470/LC100 with unknown timing belt service should also check the fan clutch and radiator fan bracket.

Well my mechanic was fully booked til Monday and I made a short 15 mile trip when my power steering went out---the wobble got so bad it threw the belt.

I put the belt back on but its wobbling so bad right now it doesnt look like it will last 30 seconds.

Question: how long can I run with the belt off (no alternator?) Its a brand new battery and it would just be return trip of ~15 mostly highway miles. I'll throw a noco on it once I make it back. Thanks everyone

I'll bet @paflytyer can answer that. He had to drive home from HIH a few years ago on battery power. On an unrelated note, you say your truck has 120k on it but the history shows 300k. Don't believe that it is acceptable to reset the odometer if the engine has been replaced. That is a federal no no and if someone did that before they sold it to you it is a big deal.

Well my mechanic was fully booked til Monday and I made a short 15 mile trip when my power steering went out---the wobble got so bad it threw the belt.

I put the belt back on but its wobbling so bad right now it doesnt look like it will last 30 seconds.

Question: how long can I run with the belt off (no alternator?) Its a brand new battery and it would just be return trip of ~15 mostly highway miles. I'll throw a noco on it once I make it back. Thanks everyone

I drove for three hours in the mountains on two batteries. Lights disconnected, radio off, windows down, minimal brake usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom