Pull / "Torque steer" troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to troubleshoot something and not coming up with anything in search engine. When I am accelerating from a stop, or passing on highway - so essentially when I start going above 2500-3000 rpm my car pulls to the right to where i have to hold wheel in between 11 and 12 o'clock to maintain straight line. It's not crazy, but enough of what I would call "torque steer" to make me want to finally address it.

When braking or foot not on gas it holds a straight and true line at 12 o'clock and I had a recent alignment done at Slee after some suspension work this spring so I feel like all that is good. Car admittedly has kind of always done it since I bought it but I've tackled more pressing items and after following Paul/2001LC thread on an overdue power steering flush, I was hoping maybe for an improvement but if anything (and likely just in my head) I feel like I notice it more.

Any idea what this could be? PO records indicate similar symptoms/service way back around 100k and there is mention of "binding" in drivetrain that was corrected? Not sure what this would mean/entail or if this was just misdiagnosed way back then since when I bought at 180k it was slightly doing this then. Currently at 218k and no major problems (that I know of!!) At this time otherwise.

Thanks!!

You could drop your front driveshaft and lock the CDL. If the issue goes away, then I think you know it’s a power distribution issue in the front diff.

When was the diff oil last changed. Wheel bearings repacked? Needle bearings greased?

You could drop your front driveshaft and lock the CDL. If the issue goes away, then I think you know it’s a power distribution issue in the front diff.

When was the diff oil last changed. Wheel bearings repacked? Needle bearings greased?
Diff oil changed last year for first time in a while from whenever PO had it done and then again this spring as I'm being OCD about diff fluid changes across the board due to all the summertime wheeling (used amsoil severe gear this spring). Bearings completely redone by slee last spring. No idea on the needle bearing part or honestly what that is!! I'm doing my best to learn and be as familiar with everything but that would be new to me. Thanks!

If Slee repacked your wheel bearings, I’m sure they did the needle bearings at the same time.

Hopefully someone else here with more diff knowledge can pipe in.

torque steer can be related to steering components. you can start looking at your inner and outer tie rods. next is your steering rack bushings. you can lift the front and try to turn the front wheels and see if it has a clunk or a minute play when turning. next is put up your phone on the floor and point the camera at the steering rack and start recording, with engine off, turn the steering wheel full lock left-right about 3x. check your video recording and see if the steering rack moves lateral, if it does, your steering rack bushing needs replacing. hth

torque steer can be related to steering components. you can start looking at your inner and outer tie rods. next is your steering rack bushings. you can lift the front and try to turn the front wheels and see if it has a clunk or a minute play when turning. next is put up your phone on the floor and point the camera at the steering rack and start recording, with engine off, turn the steering wheel full lock left-right about 3x. check your video recording and see if the steering rack moves lateral, if it does, your steering rack bushing needs replacing. hth
Thanks, will try to give this a shot!

Is your front end lifted (t-bars cranked up)? How much? Stock torsion bars or aftermarket?

Lower front end to 20.5” hub center to fender lip, drive and see if it’s better.

Is your front end lifted (t-bars cranked up)? How much? Stock torsion bars or aftermarket?

Lower front end to 20.5” hub center to fender lip, drive and see if it’s better.
OME torsion bars and medium OME 2.5 lift up with aftermarket UCAs. Not sure where torsion bars set at though, slee install and one thing I've yet to mess around with myself yet. Will check measurements though, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom