pull the doors on yer 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i saw a 60 with the doors pulled, not even lifted that much, looked sorta whack (did i just say that?) but appealled to me in an odd sorta rock crawly way... anyony do this? share your opinion.

There was a thread on this awhile back. Apparently, the concensus was that if you twisted the body at all, rolling over a curb, rock, or whatever your recreation is, you will have a hard time getting the doors back on. I guess the provide a lot of body rigidity. I've never tried it myself, but that is what I heard on this forum.

I've actually heard the same thing... not sure if its true or not though... here's my favorite pic with no doors...

attachment.php

a car as stout as a 60 gets rigidity from doors? ill believe you if you tell me so, but its still a bit of a surprise... how bout all those runners and stuff you see out there? i would assume that they are weaker and they run doors off a lot...

Don't believe me, like I said, it was discussed in another post, I think it was on somebody making half doors, search for it and see what you find.

I'm in the cut process for my HJ-60 .. so I was searching around for soft doors but there are not many mates that thinh in do hard work with a LWB 60 ..

I would keep my doors and cut to half the rear ones .. in my thread still showiung the process ..

There are only three points where the door actually connects to the body, two hinges and a latch, and they aren't solid by any stretch. If that is all it takes to keep the body from flexing then tube doors would be fine, they'll have those three points. I find this body twist hypothesis a little weak. If true, it would be hard to keep your door fit consistent even with them on.

Ok, now we've heard from someone who has actually done it. That's better than any speculation that I've come across. Anybody else willing to try it?

Doors on many cars provide rigidity in the body. BUT on a 60 series cruiser I doubt running with 2 front doors off would cause a problem. I would not have all 4 off.

Unibody cars need the doors IMOP, a full framed, heavy duty body on a 60 should be fine...

But on legal point I doubt the cops let you drive down the freeway like that.

Partly my reason for not pulling the back doors is the buffeting would kill your ears, unless you pulled the hatch, then you have exhaust..............

I like the half door idea.

I already removed my 2 front doors and used my cruiser for a week without them.
nothing went wrong when I re-installed the doors

I loved the extreme feeling that you get when you don't have the doors, because since I could see the tire and the ground, it felt as if you were to fall out.

I would do it again in a heart beat, but local laws require me to have at least a drivers side mirror and I could not store any valued items in the cruiser and if I went offroad I would get really dirty.

I hope this helps you guys

P.S. I also removed the top rear hatch and no exhaust came in... ... and there was no buffeting at highway speeds

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a exo-skeleton door of some type. Would be badass driving during the summer with no doors.

Replacement doors don't line up right

I had to replace the front doors on my HJ60 with used ones from a donor FJ60 (Thanks again RIDDLER!) because my originals had rusted out near the hinge mounts and around the door extension limiters.

The new doors close, but the strikers hit the latches about 1 cm too low, but will rise up and latch correctly with a little force. You don't have to slam them, but more force is required to fully close the doors than before or should be required.

I used the original hinges from my truck as one of the replacement doors came without them and I wanted them to match. I think I kept the hinges from the donor door that I didn't use.

A twisted frame should have made the original doors not close right either, but they did. If my truck's frame was slightly twisted, then one door should be high and the other low, but both hang a little low. The door latches are not adjustable, it seems, nor are the strikers.

Then only thing I can imagine is that the CHASSIS IS BOWED from someone coming down VERY hard on the front wheels, bending it AND the door hinges, and somehow keeping them lined up correctly and the replacement doors somehow don't benefit from the stress that the original doors did.

Any suggestions or theories???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom