PSA - 100 series timing belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team 100.

I am huge 100 fan so I need to share this PSA.
if your 100 ever does this, do not continue to crank. The timing belt broke on start up. This happened to my daughter and I would have done the same. She tried multiple times. Not sure of damage yet. I will keep you posted. This truck is a 99. Had 2 timing belts and was at 285k. We were doing next belt at 300k. She went off to college and truck was not driven for a month.

Team 100.

I am huge 100 fan so I need to share this PSA.
if your 100 ever does this, do not continue to crank. The timing belt broke on start up. This happened to my daughter and I would have done the same. She tried multiple times. Not sure of damage yet. I will keep you posted. This truck is a 99. Had 2 timing belts and was at 285k. We were doing next belt at 300k. She went off to college and truck was not driven for a month.

What are you trying to show / warn us of in that video?

The car cranks and all lights light up and does not start. Do not try again.

Needs a motor. Any recommendations?

Who's coming to that conclusion? Toyota literature says these are interference motors, but real experience here has shown that belt breaks aren't necessarily catastrophic for the pre-vvti motors.

If it does in fact need a motor, plenty of threads on it, most source a low mile Tundra/Sequioa motor and swap over the necessary items from the LC motor.

I ran a 2000 with timing off 4 teeth on one cam for over 5,000 miles. Scoped it and no damage. You're probably just going to need a timing job.

Timing components put back and no compression at all.

Trusted mechanic. Hard to second guess this.

The car cranks and all lights light up and does not start. Do not try again.
Trusted mechanic. Hard to second guess this.

I think the concept is that, yes you may need new head gaskets and a little TLC to get her up and running again, but it may just be another option to consider VS a replacement motor.

Would your mechanic be willing to rebuild / repair ?

In another thread they tore down a motor and proved (again) that this is a non-interference motor. It would have sounded like a jackhammer when your daughter turned it over if it was bending valves.

I'm assuming if your mechanic knew what he was doing he replaced the timing belt before he declared no compression on any cylinder. I know you trust your mechanic, but I think it may not have been reassembled correctly. Read through Timing belt job just done. Blown engine or savable? This is interesting guys!.

Is it something he could be missing? Basically the belt was soaked from water pump leaking. Belt broke and broke crank sensor and water pump sprocket. Car was cranked over 15 times by daughter not knowing to stop.

Timing Components installed incorrectly. That’s the only explanation I can think of for there to be no compression across all 8 cylinders.

I think timing might still be off (especially since it was cranked with no belt.) If I recall @2001LC encountered a similar situation where a customer brought him a low or no compression "blown motor" due to a timing belt break and subsequent TB install done by a different service shop which turned out the timing was way off.

Check this thread: Timing belt job just done. Blown engine or savable? This is interesting guys!

Running compression test and will report findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom