Quick Question: FJ40 1FZ-FE H55 Fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Other than getting the FJ company bell housing adapter, will this config fit easily? No axle changes? I have a 2F+H55 now. Understand engine mounts, cross member, drive shaft, etc etc need to be modified.

I've seen the swaps, want to make sure I'm not missing something and have to shoe horn it.

Last edited:
Rear drive shaft is very short. @cwwfj60 might be able to add more. It does fit well in the engine bay.

Do it, it’s my favorite combo for a 40.

Driveshaft will be short, run a double cardan driveshaft. I’ve driven both h151 and h55 combos, h55 equals longer driveshaft, slightly.

It’s a complicated swap so be prepared, if you go h55/splitcase it should fit well. Brake booster spacing is something to consider during placement. Steering shaft should be ok, ac compressor is tight on the passenger frame rail but the rest is pretty straight forward.

The 1fz is a hot rod motor in a 40 with a stick

No AC! I grew up in central TX and didn't have AC until I was 24! #realman

If I were to do it again, I'd put a 1FZ in my cruiser. I'm happy with the Cummins, but an inline six is the best configuration in my opinion, followed by the V12. I like naturally balanced engines. I've owned a ton of straight sixes, even the crummy ones were pretty darn good.

I can't remember the company, but there is a stand alone fuel injection ecu available. I don't know exactly how plug and play it is, but most of that stuff is basically just taking your time, reading the instructions, reading them again, and making it happen. I think Nolan worked on a 45 pickup and the customer used that engine, sourced from Mosley. I don't remember what they did for fueling. I can't image why one would want to use the ancient tech.

I like the 1FZ. Very detuned, runs like a sewing machine. If I manage to build/have built an 80 some day, it'll be getting some dollars poured into reliability, refinement, and performance under the hood.

If I were to do it again, I'd put a 1FZ in my cruiser. I'm happy with the Cummins, but an inline six is the best configuration in my opinion, followed by the V12. I like naturally balanced engines. I've owned a ton of straight sixes, even the crummy ones were pretty darn good.

I can't remember the company, but there is a stand alone fuel injection ecu available. I don't know exactly how plug and play it is, but most of that stuff is basically just taking your time, reading the instructions, reading them again, and making it happen. I think Nolan worked on a 45 pickup and the customer used that engine, sourced from Mosley. I don't remember what they did for fueling. I can't image why one would want to use the ancient tech.

I like the 1FZ. Very detuned, runs like a sewing machine. If I manage to build/have built an 80 some day, it'll be getting some dollars poured into reliability, refinement, and performance under the hood.
Haltech makes a slick kit! Comes with an adapter where you plug in all of your Toyota connectors to interface with ECU. I was pretty deep into my ECU and airbox wiring harness on my 82 Supra back in the day to fine tune to it. The Toyota FSM for the electrical systems are pretty good on the newer Inline 6, twin cam engines.

Pulled the trigger. Will have the engine this month and then start the rebuild process. Not sure when it will actually go in my FJ40, but when I do, I will start a build thread.

Now I have to read up on all the 1FZ-FE stuff. Plan to keep it pretty mild. Full rebuild, balance and blue print, Haltech ECU, mild Kelford cams w/springs.

It's used for street and off-road/overlanding. No rock crawling/extreme stuff.

What I need recommendations on:
1. Compression - should I increase?
2. Stroker Kit - any reasonably priced ones out there? The ones I saw were mucho $$$. I don't know if I really need it.
3. Header - do I need one? Do you get a torque boost.
4. MAF - I'd like to upgrade from the factory airflow box to an aftermarket straight thru MAF. Any recommendations?
5. Head - I'd read about folks installing large valves. Is this warranted for my use? Also, just curious, how well do the ports match on the head? On my 5MGe (2.8L DOHC Supra engine in the 80s) I had to open up the exhaust ports on the cylinder head to match my header and need some matching on the intake side as well, but not as extreme. Just fine tuning and some polishing. made a difference!

Thanks!

Haltech makes a slick kit!

That's the one. I was looking into taking Toyota out of the engine management part of the equation on my 80, which requires converting it to a standard transmission. Which I'm all for, but don't have funds to pursue until the 40 is done hemorrhaging money

Now I have to read up on all the 1FZ-FE stuff. Plan to keep it pretty mild. Full rebuild, balance and blue print, Haltech ECU, mild Kelford cams w/springs.

2. Stroker Kit - any reasonably priced ones out there? The ones I saw were mucho $$$. I don't know if I really need it.
4. MAF - I'd like to upgrade from the factory airflow box to an aftermarket straight thru MAF. Any recommendations?
5. Head - I'd read about folks installing large valves. Is this warranted for my use? Also, just curious, how well do the ports match on the head? On my 5MGe (2.8L DOHC Supra engine in the 80s) I had to open up the exhaust ports on the cylinder head to match my header and need some matching on the intake side as well, but not as extreme. Just fine tuning and some polishing. made a difference!

Thanks!
You'll probably get extremely limited responses to these questions in here.... I'd repost them in the 80 section. You will probably have better luck.

Did you check the thread?

Did you check the thread?
Yes, some info in there. Cool vehicle.

You'll probably get extremely limited responses to these questions in here.... I'd repost them in the 80 section. You will probably have better luck.
Was thinking the same!

Got some great answers in the 80s forum! Thanks!!!!!!!

Got some great answers in the 80s forum! Thanks!!!!!!!
How far along have you got with your project ?

My current build .. 1973 FJ55 , 1FZ with H55 , split case .. I’m almost ready to start fitting it into the frame and engine bay . I haven’t been able to find any info on engine mounting when I search . I had to weld my firewall and floors back in first . Someone hacked into it with a blow torch to do a 460 swap in the late 90’s then gave up on her . They also removed all the mounts for the engine and trans etc .

My fj55 firewall to core support distance is 39 3/4” and the engine is 36” overall to the front of the stock fan . The stock radiator is 3” , so leaves about 3/4” . . So with my stock radiator or aftermarket in the factory position will be way to close for comfort . So I plan remove the oem fan clutch so I can gain another 3.5” of clearance and run an electric fan setup .

IMG_4448.jpeg

IMG_4450.jpeg

IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

Thanks!
I would port and polish the head, and I would also install a stroker kit. I probably wouldn't do anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom