Project Rescue Wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LSD is NOT a factory option in North America nor are full floater rear axles. I bought my LSD off E-bay in Australia.

WE pulled a LSD out of a cruiser axle, nasty crack in it, so we binned it.

Rob

Defecting

You know, you spend years defending a country and all the great things it has to offer and an Aussie can come on here and make you think of defecting in one post.:hmm:

To give you an idea a few months ago I bent the tie rod on my 3/4ton truck because of the side load snow puts on the wheels, so wouldn't the toyota parts have more of an issue since they are not as stout as the 3/4 ton truck axles?

Shoot holes in this if my thinking is wrong.

I've always been lead to believe that the Toyota axles are really one ton axles.

I think it is not a good idea to splice a vehicle together from different years, brands, drive lines, brakes, ignition systems and engines. It certainly looks like a fun project, but a good expedition truck is very much stock. It is much harder to diagnose problems source parts and get repair advice on a custom hybrid. And the resale value will be close to nothing.
but as has been said, it looks like fun.

cheers,
J

I think it is not a good idea to splice a vehicle together from different years, brands, drive lines, brakes, ignition systems and engines. It certainly looks like a fun project, but a good expedition truck is very much stock. It is much harder to diagnose problems source parts and get repair advice on a custom hybrid. And the resale value will be close to nothing.
but as has been said, it looks like fun.

cheers,
J

I totally agree! My FJ55 is a combination of an '81 BJ60 and the '76 FJ55, no other vehicles or brands. If you add more to the mix you're asking for trouble if you are really going to be going off the beaten path.

I'm not to worried about resale value as this one is all mine.:D

Also I guess that I didn't look at this as a custom vehicle since I am swapping the 62 parts into the good 60 body. The only custom parts will be the 2FE and axles. I plan on building storage drawers below the flat bed to store spare drive shafts, u-joints and axle shafts to effect repairs no matter where I am.

Hopefully if the Wyoming weather and my kids coaporate I should get the rest of the 3FE torn down this weekend. And with a little luck a run to the metal recycling center to get rid of some unwanted junk.:beer:

Ok, Newbie here.

Comment on the frame stretch.

If I can still add, with your 24” addition, your wheelbase will be approx. 131” – 132”.
If, like cruiser-guy said, your frame splice doesn’t match up, you might look into a frame from one of the Toyota U-haul trucks. U-haul advertises them as a 1-ton and says they have a wheelbase of 137”.

I don’t know if the wheelbase can be ‘adjusted’ but it’s close to what you would end up with when you add that 24” stretch.

They list the GVW as 6000 lbs, and I would expect that to be very conservative, but I still wouldn’t try to load it like an American big three 1-ton.

You would have to do a SAS, motor/trans/TC mounts and body mounts, but if you have or have access to the skill to stretch the frame that should not be a problem.

Anyway just my $.02

I've always been lead to believe that the Toyota axles are really one ton axles.
Yes and no. In consumer US destination/built mini trucks they changed a bunch of suspension components so they are tuned for a 1/2 ton load. The frame is really the only 1 ton component you can count on. Some of the trucks were sold to refitters that were 1 ton rated. U-Haul could have bought a bunch of them. There is a 1 ton axle issue with some of the earlier ones and it ultimately caused Toyota to stop selling them to RV builders. Overloading of the 1 ton axle would cause them to break. A fix was done for this, but is nolonger available and was the responsibility of the RV manufacturers to do the recall.

Well it has been extremely slow going tearing down the 62 since it has spent most of its life in MI. There is a lot of rust.

On the discussion of the frame they are different up front but are the same in the rear. When you look at a 60/62 frame right around the area of the tranny mount you will find a weld where the two sections were attached together. From this point forward there are some slight differences that accommodate either the 2F or 3FE, but the rear section of the 62 and front of the 60 I need should work perfectly together.

Hopefully a few more good weekends and the 62 should be completely stripped down and the fab work can start. Now if I could only get the weather (Spring Time in the Rockies) and the military (2 week trip to Colorado Springs) to cooperate this project would move along a lot faster.

Thanks for all the great input and ideas.:cheers:

Thanks for checking in.

Well the weather has finally turned nice and I'm back from my trip so its back to stripping down the 62 for engine parts and the frame. The amount of rust on the 62 has made tear down fun to say the least. Well my welder has just gone out of town for two weeks (Yep, he is in the military as well), so I'm hoping to have the tear down finished before he gets back.

Now I just need to figure out what size bolts hold the bellhousing to the engine so I can get one of the 2Fs on my engine stand for tear down. Then its off to the machine shop for a little freshening up.

Well here is to a lot more to get done and hoping its running by the fall.:cheers:

As far as I can tell, you and I seem to be the only ones doing a 2FE with megasquirt control. I'm just starting to get mine together now. I had the Ford EDIS-6 system completed last fall, but broke my ankle badly and after surgery I had to quirt working on the project. I'm just now getting back to it.

I just got my IAC and TPS setup with the MSII late last week, so I can give you the correct configuration info for those when you are ready. My engine is still in the shop being built, so I haven't yet been able to start on my timing and fuel tables, but that will be upcoming in the next few weeks.

BTW, I'm putting my 2FE in a FJ40 with a 4 speed, FJ80 steering box and Monte Carlo disc brakes all around. Other than those items and an OME suspension it's pretty stock. I did make an extended range tank with an internal fuel pump (extra one from my vette) for fuel delivery.

Last edited:
James, one of these days we'll get back up there to see you & the kids! I'd love to see this project, maybe even throw some wrenches at you for a bit! In the meantime, post up some pics man!

BTW - we sold the Jeep & picked up an 80. :)

-Mark & Trish

frontrange - I will definitely want to pick your brain, this is my first rodeo with the MS so it will be nice to talk to someone else who is using one with the 2FE. Do you have access to a dyno down there to tune the MS? Hopefully I'll be getting mine into the machine shop soon. Also I am planning on using a FJ62 fuel tank and pump for my application.

Mark - You and Trish are always welcome and I'm glad to see you got the Jeep sold. Did you get a 80 with lockers?

Well here are some pics of the 62 tear down:

FJ62 Tear Down

Hear you go:
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

frontrange - I will definitely want to pick your brain, this is my first rodeo with the MS so it will be nice to talk to someone else who is using one with the 2FE. Do you have access to a dyno down there to tune the MS? Hopefully I'll be getting mine into the machine shop soon. Also I am planning on using a FJ62 fuel tank and pump for my application.
:

Yeah, sure - but I don't think our Dyno operator knows how to operate a Dyno. I wasn't impressed with his work on my vette. Besides, I'm at 6,000 - 7,000 ft ASL depending on what part of the day it is and where I'm at around town, so my MAP numbers will be low across the board.

I'll have it all running within the next few weeks for sure, and my initial tables should be good enough for a start for you. Looking forward to sharing configuration info.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom