Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carb spacer still in use ? It’s still perfectly flat I assume ?

If you have a inline ignition tester I would try that also. Coils can fire with the plug out but not under compression. They are cheap and great diagnostic tools.

I'm leaning to a compression issue of some kind. Sticking ring, head gasket or a valve problem. Could also be a worn cam lobe.

Wouldn't my vacuum test have showed some of these issues as well? The nice little graph from that article above said it would have.

Also, this motor is newish and had not a single issue before I pulled the truck apart for the header swap. Its always run nice.

I'm certainly not arguing, just saying that it would be surprising to me.

Carb spacer still in use ? It’s still perfectly flat I assume ?

That was my first thought. I was getting an idle up/stumble after I put it back together. I pulled it all apart and made some Reflex gaskets for it. It was still stumbling so I ordered some new paper gaskets. Installed. Still stumbled with starter fluid.

See above all the steps I have worked through since......

If you have a inline ignition tester I would try that also. Coils can fire with the plug out but not under compression. They are cheap and great diagnostic tools.

Ill have one Tuesday....thanks

Ive learned a lot today. Still learning.

What about when I put the digital timing light on each plug wire. They were all sending pulses. Wouldn't that be the same?

Wouldn't my vacuum test have showed some of these issues as well? The nice little graph from that article above said it would have.

Also, this motor is newish and had not a single issue before I pulled the truck apart for the header swap. Its always run nice.

I'm certainly not arguing, just saying that it would be surprising to me.
Not sure but something is happening on that cylinder and I would just want to see a leakdown to eliminate compression as a problem. If its ok then you can move onto ignition or fuel. Its just been drilled into me for so many years now, if you work at a shop and call any engine mfg tech dept and tell them you have a dead or misfire cylinder, the first thing they will ask is did you do a leakdown. Until you do the discussion is over...lol.

Ill have one Tuesday....thanks

Ive learned a lot today. Still learning.

What about when I put the digital timing light on each plug wire. They were all sending pulses. Wouldn't that be the same?
I can still be firing but weak. That inline tester lets you see whats going on. It makes the coil jump a gap under compression just as it has to do in the cylinder.

I can still be firing but weak. That inline tester lets you see whats going on. It makes the coil jump a gap under compression just as it has to do in the cylinder.

Cool. $9 and a $32 leak-Down tester on the way.

This is fun. Thanks for the help

Learning ......

I forget we are working on an old school engine also with I am guessing one coil going thru a distributor. The inline tester is still valid, If that spark is weak there then its an ignition problem. Check one of the good cylinders as well to see how bright the spark is in the tester.

I wonder if I left a blue towel stuff in my exhaust cylinder when I put the header back on????

C52369CA-E333-4143-A0B8-138DFC957846.jpeg

I wonder if I left a blue towel stuff in my exhaust cylinder when I put the header back on????

View attachment 2036206
I don't see any way that wouldn't have burned up and been expelled.....unless it's cloth. Then, just give it time...

OK. Sorry I lost sleep over the obstruction.

D0580361-977E-4A9A-B888-76FDD0D5DCA8.jpeg

Looks like I still had a vacuum leak. It would not light off with carb cleaner or even my propane (unlit) torch test.

Put a hose on the starting fluid and got a bump from the underside firewall end of the intake.

6D18EEC5-F72A-4131-AD99-DCBC06D0CD74.jpeg

This stupid thing has been such a colossal pain in the ass. Way back 2.5 years ago getting it machined to fit the 2F set me back 4 weeks

Off it came.

Sure enough. You can see the carbon ghost on the Remflex

3E36052E-5902-4311-8E1A-044FB4B23CAC.jpeg

085E1C7B-3B77-4FE0-B045-D180FE7078D9.jpeg

Now I need to pull these dumb studs out of the motor. They are not long enough to get a good even pull on the intake it seems.

I’ll use bolts.

This might take a while.

4C284343-4328-4653-A765-2651BC71ED9C.jpeg

So. Yeah thanks to the bad ass Remflex, this did not have a exhaust leak.

What you can’t see is that the bottom where the leak was, the nut grabbed the header and not the intake.

The thickness difference here is my problem.

To not have to toss the uncracked-machined-too-thin-wrong-year intake manifold into the trash I need to figure out how to drill out the header to match the intake.

A Spotface drill bit would be key. I have an old F head. I may bolt it all up and get this right before I put it all back and not hope for a good seal

If I had a good 2F intake I’d toss this piece of s*** and move on.

E0B1B461-B306-483A-84F6-6CDB84AED763.jpeg

Isn’t there a washer cut in half solution to the different thickness header flange and intake flange issue?
That may be a sketchy bandaid you don’t want to rip off later.

That would be the obvious answer but these conversion studs are a bit too short to get a good grip if I was to space the intake manifold out to the thickness of the header.

I think I’m going to pull the header and grind out 1/2 moons in the header steel to match the thickness of the intake and not screw with the studs. Just leave them in.

It’s worth a try first. If that does not work I’ll back all the studs out and use bolts.

@FJ40Jim tossed out the knowledge way back when in this thread on how to bolt all this to an F head and drill my F intake out to take 12mm bolts

@FJ40Jim tossed out the knowledge way back when in this thread on how to bolt all this to an F head and drill my F intake out to take 12mm bolts

The trick is to bolt an intake & exhaust manifold together and run a 1/2” drill bit through the stud holes.

I’ve got a ‘74 exhaust manifold if you want to try it out.

Last edited:
Ok. Plan A is this.

I am ditching the F manifold 100%. That thing is/was a total hassle. Should have fixed the broken ear on the one I had years ago.

I’m stealing the one from my FJ60 since it’s off for a head job. The 2F intake is much thicker so I have less grinding to do.

This should seal up nicely.

I’ll know soon.

C55C7D14-438B-4143-A99F-99E93BFE34FE.jpeg
C6F9996C-C225-457F-BE45-AE8AFD1026BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom