Builds Project Code Name "ASAP Flaps" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm in; just waiting to put this on March or April's Land Cruiser budget . . . I can't bring myself to pay in full right now for a product I can order 'til May and will not get until some time this summer. If you were taking deposits vice full payment, you'd probably have higher numbers by now.

You'd get them by the end of may if everything goes smoothly, which is should.

Deposits are tough for a low profit product like this. I get charged every time a transaction is processed which cuts into profits. There's also a decent amount of time spent chasing people down to collect the final payment.

Additionally, with only a deposit, I'd likely end up with more people backing out which could leave me with thousands in materials that I then have to hope sells.

This is just a tough product overall. If I didn't like them so much, I would have definitely given it up a long time ago.

Is this posted in classifieds? Vendor forum? I know it started as a build thread when you were prototyping but does it need to be somewhere else to get the attention and traffic it deserves?

You'd get them by the end of may if everything goes smoothly, which is should.

Deposits are tough for a low profit product like this. I get charged every time a transaction is processed which cuts into profits. There's also a decent amount of time spent chasing people down to collect the final payment.

Additionally, with only a deposit, I'd likely end up with more people backing out which could leave me with thousands in materials that I then have to hope sells.

This is just a tough product overall. If I didn't like them so much, I would have definitely given it up a long time ago.
Totally get it and didn’t mean that to come across as criticism, but encouragement—low numbers in the first days of a 90-day cash-on-the-barrehead offer don’t seem surprising at all. I just suck at encouragement..

Another thought—I’ve been interested in these for well over a year, and _just_realized there are brackets—yes that’s probably an indictment of my attention to detail, but I think adding a product shot that shows everything that comes in the kit laid out nicely will make the price seem better—I somehow was under the impression that it was just screws with shoulders and mud flaps—I still wanted it, but the price seems a ton more reasonable now that I’ve got it through my thick skull what’s actually involved. A link to an install/demo video might achieve the same thing and could show people how slick the removal/hanging processes are.

Totally get it and didn’t mean that to come across as criticism, but encouragement—low numbers in the first days of a 90-day cash-on-the-barrehead offer don’t seem surprising at all. I just suck at encouragement..

Another thought—I’ve been interested in these for well over a year, and _just_realized there are brackets—yes that’s probably an indictment of my attention to detail, but I think adding a product shot that shows everything that comes in the kit laid out nicely will make the price seem better—I somehow was under the impression that it was just screws with shoulders and mud flaps—I still wanted it, but the price seems a ton more reasonable now that I’ve got it through my thick skull what’s actually involved. A link to an install/demo video might achieve the same thing and could show people how slick the removal/hanging processes are.

I agree. The web page can benefit from detailed pictures of the difference between options and what's behind the flaps. The feedback I got from FB was for more pictures. Seeing pictures helps people with their buying decisions.

Just realized that a wildly popular slider company has a substantial user gallery that will answer just about any configuration question a potential buyer can have. :)

I’m in! I just placed my order for this go around of the mud flaps. I also ordered the Owl Expedition media mount and the air compressor mount. I already have the rock light mount!
I was a bonehead and missed the previous mud flap order - hopefully Rami gets the minimum # of orders soon.

I’m one year into 100 series ownership. I lurked here for about a year previously and leaned heavily on the ih8mud knowledge base to find the right truck. I feel really lucky to have found a truck that I love and plan to keep for a long time.

Additionally, I find the maker community on ih8mud incredible, there are so many really cool 100 series problem solvers being made by members of the community. Rami’s mud flaps - order yours now! - is the start towards outfitting my truck for what I want/need. I’ve got quite a big shopping list going of ih8mud vendor products.

Next up will be sorting out the headlights - damn the stock LX lights suck. I have yet to decide if I’ll buy a kit and brackets from Luke111 and bake my own or get Luke to build me a new set. I’ll phone Luke!

I’m also planing on some of BenCC’s 3D printed products - the front ashtray replacement when it’s ready is a for sure. I also need some YotaMD key cases.

Mudflaps though! Really happy to have another chance for a set, thanks Rami.

I agree. The web page can benefit from detailed pictures of the difference between options and what's behind the flaps. The feedback I got from FB was for more pictures. Seeing pictures helps people with their buying decisions.

Just realized that a wildly popular slider company has a substantial user gallery that will answer just about any configuration question a potential buyer can have. :)

Thanks for the feedback. The site does show the flaps on/off on the front and back. Maybe it's not intuitive that you can scroll through the photos? Or maybe there should be more photos?

Nearly halfway there!

If we don't hit 30, I'll likely still do the run but make it the last one. If you put an order in, barring any major issues with getting a smaller amount of urethane, you should get flaps.

Added an old video of me taking off/putting on the flaps. Thanks for the feedback!

Nearly halfway there!

If we don't hit 30, I'll likely still do the run but make it the last one. If you put an order in, barring any major issues with getting a smaller amount of urethane, you should get flaps.
I'm certainly happy to hear that.

Thanks for posting the video. That is a very unique feature. Posted updates with the video and a link to the metal bracket. I'll check on it in a couple of days and add another picture.

Thanks for the feedback. The site does show the flaps on/off on the front and back. Maybe it's not intuitive that you can scroll through the photos? Or maybe there should be more photos?

Added an old video of me taking off/putting on the flaps. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
That video is great! Now I'm even more sold.

When's the deadline? I need to check my penny jar. . .

I know having inventory sucks, but have you thought about shelling out for some extras and then letting all the people who ping you in between production runs just buy some?

Sorry if this is redundant...
I was looking for info on the Group Buy... is the $240 price the GB price on Owl website?
To join the GB, is there a specific Order process?

Just order it on the Owl Expedition website. It's that easy.

He only does these as a group buy, it's not something he regularly keeps in stock for purchase through his site.

Just order it on the Owl Expedition website. It's that easy.

He only does these as a group buy, it's not something he regularly keeps in stock for purchase through his site.
Ahh.. got it.
Thanks for clarifying~

For anybody who is on the fence about doing this, get off the fence and just buy them. They are a great product and it's really cool to be able to remove your mudflaps when you don't need them on (when you might damage them wheeling) and then put them back on when you want to reduce the amount of mud and rocks you are pitching back at your trailer or vehicles behind you.

Also keep in mind, Rami is just a regular dude with a regular job that is trying to turn his hobby and side hustle into a full time thing that will pay the bills so he doesn't have to keep the regular job if he doesn't want to. There is no store, no warehouse, no head office. It's all in his house and his garage.

Sorry if this is redundant...
I was looking for info on the Group Buy... is the $240 price the GB price on Owl website?
To join the GB, is there a specific Order process?

As said, once you buy through the site you're in on the GB. The $240 is the full price including shipping.

For anybody who is on the fence about doing this, get off the fence and just buy them. They are a great product and it's really cool to be able to remove your mudflaps when you don't need them on (when you might damage them wheeling) and then put them back on when you want to reduce the amount of mud and rocks you are pitching back at your trailer or vehicles behind you.

Also keep in mind, Rami is just a regular dude with a regular job that is trying to turn his hobby and side hustle into a full time thing that will pay the bills so he doesn't have to keep the regular job if he doesn't want to. There is no store, no warehouse, no head office. It's all in his house and his garage.

Thanks Marc!

No idea. I'd have to see how it lines up with the body where the flap goes. I don't think I've see a coastal in person.
Well, placed my order, been drooling over these for a while... I suppose it'll be a problem when the time comes to move from a stock bumper. Looking forward to getting my set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom