Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40 - Help Needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it!!!!
The video is very entertaining too. I cant believe you chirpped the tires in third gear too...
sounds bad ass!!!
You pakis can build my friend....

FJ40 Dakar Rally History

I did not know that the FJ40 has a fair bit of history at the early Dakar races. Thanks to Eurosport for digging out some fxxxy footage on the Dakar 2012 Preview: Dakar 2012 Stage 1 Highlights - Part 3/3 - YouTube

Some snaps from the video below:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Love it!!!!
The video is very entertaining too. I cant believe you chirpped the tires in third gear too...
sounds bad ass!!!
You pakis can build my friend....

Many Thanks! Yes we could screech the gears in third and we usually could get quite a bit more chirp than we had on the video! Though must mention here that those were rather old 31inch tires and were quite chirp friendly :) Chirping days are over with newer 33inch MTs!

intersting. What have started this and the outcome...

We managed to finish the harrowing 200km course! Though being first time rally goers in a new car and unfamiliar settings the timing was nothing to write home about. Nevertheless, our aim was to finish the race which we did and ended up 7th out of 13 enteries in our class mainly owing to breakdowns :)

Some Updates here on Pirate4x4 thread and some pics below: RedBull Jhal Magsi Challenge and Islamabad Jeep Club Rally Team - Pirate4x4.Com

377398_10150544774210712_775505711_10841068_1417602247_n.jpg

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Some vids from recce/prerunning:

We saw our friends Asad Marwat and Docc NN filming us, gave it some gas only to find that they had planned to catch us at this spot with a booby trap ditch which we hit rather hard but thanks to BFG MT KM2s it wasn't bad at all
smile.gif

Suhaib's recce run (eating dust) Jhal Magsi 2011 - 2 - YouTube

Settling down to a better rhythm the next time around:
Suhaib's recce run at Jhal Magsi 2011 - 1 - YouTube

BTW we were the only car not running a windshield and were asked a lot of questions as to why we were doing that. We told everyone that we had been watching too many videos of the Baja races and besides had busted our budget and could not afford the wipers
smile.gif

Awsome job even better pics ... I would add a "X" in the cage behind you if your going to race it... Keep it up

A glimpse of our main suspension mod: 70 series stabiliser bar at the front (running 70 series diffs). Also have a 40 series stabilizer bar at the back. Steering mods included, additional shock and cut/welded 80 series tie rod.

file.php

7 of 13 in your first outing is very respectable, congratulations!! seriously bad-ass rig.

Cholistan Jeep Rally 2012

Well our second excursion to the desert was in Cholistan, the biggest offroad event in Pakistan where we competed against 69 vehicles. Apart from being by far the oldest make in the rally, we were perhaps also the cheapest in terms of suspension investment running stock leaf springs and ranchos. Nevertheless, on qualifying day finishing 17th out of 69 vehicles can perhaps be considered the crowning achievement of this build. To top it off we have videos to show for it :cheers:

The first run was rather sane : ijccompk's Channel - YouTube

But second one was completely nuts by all means, experienced FJ40 owners can well imagine what it took to hold it together between 0:15 and 0: 24 on stockish FJ4o steering :steer: :)
Cholistan Jeep Rally 2012 - IJC FJ40 Concordia Uzi - Qualification Run - YouTube

Here is a snap probably taken around 0:21 on second video by Mr. Iqbal Gangla:

Last edited:
Some essential mods we made out here included:

1. 70 series stabilizer bar upfront. Remember we run 70 series diffs and it was a bit of a pain to find and a tricky fit (slightly offset to the left) as it was hitting something or the other.

2. 40 series stabilizer bar at the back. Even bigger pain to find....

3. Oil cooler: We had a slight concern on over heating last time in the sand, as out here the 1UZ has a bad over heating reputation. Decided to throw in an oil cooler after customized oil output assembly from the oil temp sender and back in at the sump. Some concerns over the design and whether the oil pump would handle it but seems to have pulled through well...

4. Double shocks: To compliment the set of bilsteins, a set of old Rancho 9000s at the back and Monroe Air Max air infatable shocks at the front. We had planned to swap some more suitable shocks off of a friends car but it could not happen. Reminds me of something mean I read recently on racedezert from a desertracer to rockcrawler "if it wasn't for us, you would still be racing ranchos and leaf springs"

5. Extra leafs at front and back: It was a decision between advice on keeping leaf count as low as possible (to let the suspension cycle) and my reading of Billavista's theory of keeping the suspension frequency high. We went with the latter.... it was an experience! ! !

6. Cut and welded 60 series tie rod and ends along with secondary TLC steering stabilizer.

7. More rugged, compressible rubber bump stops, which are perhaps the only non Toyota part (apart from the shocks)

8. Hooked up the AC onto an air tank at the back to create an on board compressor to inflate tires and shocks!

What we didn't do was to get rid of our 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2s despite ALL our rally friends down here advising that they would soak up too much power and would make the car unstable by raising centre of gravity. My only concern was that the 4.1 gearing was too tall for the heavy 3 ply tires but
when we timed the car, it was consistently 8 to 8.5 seconds zero to hundred on the street so we decided to just go with them and spare ourselves the expense....

What we couldn't do was get replace the 40 series steering with a 60, there was no easy line available with the big TLC 100 radiator. I wish we had mounted the cam slightly back to capture Cholistan Jeep Rally and WrestleMania II simultaneously. Counter steering any 40 doing 120 kmph in the sand has to be a bad nightmare for any 40 series driver....

Thankfully, despite all the limitations, it all worked and behaved rather well and the most limiting factor was navigational and driving challenges largely owing to unfamiliarity with terrain and car....

file.php

BTW Thanks for keeping up with the Build! Support is always a great thing!

Mate ... simply awesome ....

I read this thread a while back and decided to do the same.
Now I got the engine (with it's AT and OEM ECU).
Currently got stuck at wiring (i got too darn much diagram that ends up confusing me).
Could you enlighten me with your wiring setup ?
I'll go with cheap megasquirt soon if I can't go with OEM ECU (but would prefer the OEM one to save some bucks).

If you don't mind, send me your contacts to whiteiswise[at]yahoo.com

Cheers

Mate ... simply awesome ....

I read this thread a while back and decided to do the same.
Now I got the engine (with it's AT and OEM ECU).
Currently got stuck at wiring (i got too darn much diagram that ends up confusing me).
Could you enlighten me with your wiring setup ?
I'll go with cheap megasquirt soon if I can't go with OEM ECU (but would prefer the OEM one to save some bucks).

If you don't mind, send me your contacts to whiteiswise[at]yahoo.com

Cheers

Have you looked on the Lextreme forum at all. Used to be good info on there for wiring a 1uz. (I used to have a 4runner with a 1uz, fun times)

Keep up the great thread Baltoro Jeeper! Loving the pics and vids! :cool:

3. Oil cooler: We had a slight concern on over heating last time in the sand, as out here the 1UZ has a bad over heating reputation. Decided to throw in an oil cooler after customized oil output assembly from the oil temp sender and back in at the sump. Some concerns over the design and whether the oil pump would handle it but seems to have pulled through well...

Please post some pictures of this ?

Have you looked on the Lextreme forum at all. Used to be good info on there for wiring a 1uz. (I used to have a 4runner with a 1uz, fun times)

Keep up the great thread Baltoro Jeeper! Loving the pics and vids! :cool:

I downloaded every single 1 uz thread at lex also from toyota techinfo. This is were it went too much for me (too many variety of wiring, different color code, etc).

I think it will be easier and better to have a pointer (or even better full diagram) from people who actually did it and proved to be a success.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom