Builds Project: (Beige) 83 FJ60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well today was not such a good day!
Driving home from work getting on the on ramp truck started bucking and then turned off!
My gas gauge is not working so I am sure it was no fuel. As I try to start it again a loud screech come from the engine bay. The motor feels labored and I noticed my smog pump siezed! Great that's all I need. Call AAA and I get fuel from them. I asked them to bring a tow truck. As I wait for the flat bed i procede to remove the belt from the air pump.
Finally, I did. Backed out from the on ramp carefully and drove it home with no belt. As I came to the lights I turn the truck off. I made it home with out overheating the engine. So I am home now.
Time to remove air pump!
And find one now!

IMG_1648.JPG

What a bummer. Is/was there any warning when the smog pump goes?

W
What a bummer. Is/was there any warning when the smog pump goes?
Yeah it had a clicking sound to it.
It had that ever since I first started it when I bought it.
So now that I have been running it. it still has the same clicking sound. Then just driving it she had a loud screech to it then a little bit of smoke because the belt was slipping over it.

Gut it and run it as is until smog. I got away with mine not working, but the cat was only a year old.
I would but the only problem is it is on a temporary permit. So I can smog it and have it inspected. Being that it was an out of state car. So I need to have it working right now.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
So got it home! Safely without overheating.
Removed the powersteering pump and the bad air pump. Cleaned the bracket. Noticed I have a bad motor mount. So going to order one and replace now that I have better acces to it.
Luckily I bought a air pump awhile while back but still on the hunt for another one. Just in case again!
Would love to get a new power steering pump but just can't swallow Paying $500 plus for a new one.

This little piece was floating around.
The inside is pretty oily.
Going to dissect some more

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have my seized smog pump still and all it’s parts. When I pulled the vanes (?) out it spins freely. A couple metal shims (or whatever they’re called, thin metal strips) were out of place and bent so I believe that’s what was hanging it up. I’m desmogged and running a idler pulley now.
Lmk if you want mine. I’d be happy to help out.
Felicity
FYI, I was lucky enough to pick up a good used power steering pump pretty inexpensively from a guy doing a Chevy swap. They’re out there and some folks aren’t seeking big profits.

Nice find and project. Try some patina preserver on that paint maybe?

Fe
I have my seized smog pump still and all it’s parts. When I pulled the vanes (?) out it spins freely. A couple metal shims (or whatever they’re called, thin metal strips) were out of place and bent so I believe that’s what was hanging it up. I’m desmogged and running a idler pulley now.
Lmk if you want mine. I’d be happy to help out.
Felicity
FYI, I was lucky enough to pick up a good used power steering pump pretty inexpensively from a guy doing a Chevy swap. They’re out there and some folks aren’t seeking big profits.
Felicity thanks for the offer. I had picked up a second air pump recently with the feeling this one was going out soon. And it did. Yeah that first pick of the that vain It seemed like it was made out of wood. It was splintered. Maybe the PO had rebuilt it one time or another. And used wood. But like you mention I removed it from in between and it spins freely now.
As far as the PS I just may clean it up. It workd fine. It just this crazy addiction I'll replace stuff if it's available.
Again thanks so much I'll keep you posted.

Nice find and project. Try some patina preserver on that paint maybe?
Thanks! Joe T
I did wet sand it with 1000 grit paper and then compound and wax/sealer after it. The roof I just didn't do it was baked

Nice work amigo. keep it up!

Y
Heck just repaint the roof and hood. Make resealing the rain gutters your excuse!
Yes! I did think of that. And spray the right side with clear since it is chipping off.

I don’t think these had clear on them (unless my white is different).

If it’s more than the top, enjoy the patina. Nothing wrong with that.

I was mentioning patina preserver because I want to use that or exo armor on my under carriage; Eastwood makes it. It will keep what you have at a constant state.
I read exo armor on faded paint will bring the sheen back like a clear; doubt it would do much for your roof and you’d be experimenting with the side it’s not really made for that. It’s worth looking into though and reading their reviews.

Dissected the air pump and found a few damaged vains with the bearings sheared off. Seems as if the PS pump leaks it migrates inside the pump through the rear weep hole and either disintegrates the vains and or oil builds up on the bearing the vains are attached to.
Wish internal parts where still available seems like it would be an easy rebuild.

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom