Builds Project: (Beige) 83 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RodrigzCrzr

SILVER Star
Threads
So i drove to Las Vegas yesterday to see a fj60 i saw on craigslist. After many back and forth emails and phone calls, i finally struck a deal with the PO.
truck is a 84 fj60 with 225k miles on it. Interior is in ruff shape do to the heat and because the windows where rolled down.
Paint is faded and only has a few scrapes and one dent. so after paying her $800 dollars i wanted to see if she would start. so i did i drained the old fuel,changed the fuel filter,added oil,removed the spark plugs and shot some wd40 down the cylinderd. once i did all that i purchased a battery and it was time to fire her up. I sprayed some quick start down the carb and she fired right up!
she spat and stumbled probably due to some old fuel still in the lines. After a minute or so when the new fuel reached her she smoothed out and idle like a kitten. Proves that these rigs are hard to kill. so now i am a new owner of a fj60 have only owned fj62. this is going to be a fun project.

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

i was just there yesterday! i already bought it. just having it shipped to my house now.

Welcome to the Round Eye Coalition! No, it's not a real thing, but still...

Welcome to the Round Eye Co
alition! No, it's not a real thing, but still...
LOL :D thats sounds like it fits perfect.
yeah looking forward to working on the round light type. i have a 88 fj62. finally got my hands on a 84.

good find man. good luck on the build :cheers:

Finally got her home!

So i finally got her home from Vegas on Monday!
Now in my work area where i can gutt the interior and vacumm it out. years of dust and dirt inside. looks as if the PO left the windows open and when it rained it just made a mess of the interior, door panels cracked seats torn dash covered with silt.

at home.jpg

I will post more pictures of the amount of dirt that acumilated in my dry vac. :frown: I think also i will use this thread as a build thread and update the progress on the cleaning and fixtures i have made. :D
stay tunned!

Welcome to a vehicle from Nevada!!! You will find dust and dirt in EVERYTHING and especially one from Vegas or more remote areas. Hell, mine gets nasty and dirty inside without me leaving anything open, it is just what the dirt does around here.

your are not kidding man! Dirt everywhere!!!. but the good thiing is that this truck is rust free i cant find a spec of rust anywhere in the usual locations. Desert really preserves. this should be interesting.

Yeah the only bad thing about it is the dust/sand storms... those will wipeout your glass and paint job in no time flat.

The dash cap comes off pretty easy, too ... If you're gonna gut the interior, might as well remove it and deal with the inevitable rodent nests that are prolly there, as well as check the harness for gnawing, etc. You'll be able to deal with ducting issues, also.

Good luck!

The dash cap comes off pretty easy, too ... If you're gonna gut the interior, might as well remove it and deal with the inevitable rodent nests that are prolly there, as well as check the harness for gnawing, etc. You'll be able to deal with ducting issues, also.

Good luck!
hat is one of the reason i went Vegas to do my visual inspection and once it arrived i did a more thorough inspection. i found a few nest under the seats. so far i havent found anything extensive. thanks for the heads up. As for the dash what does it take to remove it?

It's about 6-7 10mm nuts, really pretty easy. If the radio is removed, makes it easy to get the center ones. You'll see them if you look up, under the dash. It just attaches to a metal lip under the windshield and around the sides.

Sounds like you got yourself a heck of a deal! Good luck with the build.

Sounds like you got yourself a heck of a deal! Good luck with the build.

Thanks Lated,
I hope i did time will tell. for the most part i am enjoying taking her apart and adding new things to it

UPDATE: compression test

so i just finished doing a compression test and here are the results:)
Cylinder
# 1 = 140psi
# 2 = 135psi
# 3 = 130psi
# 4 = 130psi
# 5 = 130psi
# 6 = 137psi
not bad for 227k miles on it.
what do you guys think?:D
as for the plugs they where all burning good no crud biuld up on them, maybe a little rich. but i think i can fix that.

IMG_2524.jpg

Those numbers are still within acceptable range so nice find! Should be a fun project for you and adjusting the carb is pretty easy. If you are going to be working on her for a bit maybe you should do the valve cover (after adjusting the valve lash) and rebuild the carb.

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter can all breath new life into the truck especially with a good oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom