Programming LX470 Key Fob (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2002 LX 470. It only had one master and one valet key, so I figured it would be a good idea to get some spares. Local locksmiths quoted $160 to cut/program a key. I didn't like that price. Then I saw a post by @katit for photo-cut keys on ebay. It was $35 and they fit perfectly. I used my current master key to program the two new keys following the instructions in this thread (from FAQs). Finally, I needed to program the fobs to lock/unlock the doors. The instructions provided from the ebay purchase did not work. The thread titled "Door locks programming" on FAQs seemed to be just for programing the locks to lock when shifting to park (let me know if I missed something...), not to program the fobs to work. After a lot of experimenting with the instructions I was provided with the keys, with various threads on here, and with youtube videos, I was able to program the fobs. Here is the sequence I used:
  1. Lock all doors
  2. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, UNLOCK and OPEN driver's door
  3. Insert key into the ignition (do not turn) and then remove the key
  4. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  5. Close the door, then open the door
  6. Using driver's door MANUAL lock lever, LOCK and UNLOCK door 5 times
  7. Insert key into ignition and turn to ON then OFF once, the remove key
  8. The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself 5 times, signaling it is in programming mode.
  9. Simultaneously press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the remote you want to program
  10. Press and hold the LOCK button on the remote you want to program for about 2 seconds until you hear the locks lock and unlock. This is a confirmation that it worked. If it locks and unlocks twice, the programming has failed.
  11. Repeat steps 9-10 for each additional key that you want to program.
  12. Close the driver's door or insert the key into the ignition to exit programming mode

A few notes:
  • I had to do this procedure with my already-programmed key first, and then repeat steps 9-10 with the additional keys after.
  • Some places say you need to perform steps 9-10 outside of the car. That didn't work for me. Inside the car worked.
  • Some places say you need to hold the buttons in step 9 for 1.5 seconds. That didn't work for me. I had to press them once and release, then hold in step 10 for 1-2 seconds until I saw/heard the locks cycle.
  • If you go through steps 1-8 and then mess up step 10, I think it deletes the programming. On one of my earlier attempts I ended up wiping the programming on my initial key. Thankfully I was able to figure out the correct sequence later and restore it.
  • Some places say to go slowly, but I did everything quickly and it was fine.

Attached are photos of the instructions the ebay seller provided me, for reference.

IMG_20191016_192849.jpg

IMG_20191016_192854.jpg

IMG_20191016_192840.jpg

I need something for the 07 LX, i bought a key off ebay, looks really good, don't know if it'll work. Ad says it does

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: KTP
I need something for the 07 LX, i bought a key off ebay, looks really good, don't know if it'll work. Ad says it does

s-l1600.jpg
I just set up a FOB and master key, for an 07LX without either. The fob you show is a HYQ 1512V. Try it but I doubt it will work.

All the ebay & Amazon sellers are showing these HYQ 1512V good for 03-07, some even say 98-07. They are wrong IMO.

I had to get Fob HYQ 12BBT for my 07LX (06-07 LC or LX). I found one that was listed as a refurbished, with short uncut key for $50.

I had a tough time doing the job, as I had two issues.

1) DTC for inop wireless receive. Found that dome lights were out, along with running broad lights and door open light on dash. As it turns out, all was due to a dome fuse RH J/Box. Replace the fuse and DTC cleared and all lights worked.

2) But still, I could not get new FOB (1512V) to work. So I grab my 06 LC fob and it worked. Pulled it apart and found it to be 12BBT fob.
06-07 is the 12BBT fob
 Fob 06LC FCC ID  HYQ 12BBT, 48040 07U18. IC 1551A-12BBT DENSO (2).JPG

BTW.
Lexus sells a key master shell for $50 and cuts for free.
I used procedure from FSM, which is different than above OP instruction.

I just set up a FOB and master key, for an 07LX without either. The fob you show is a HYQ 1512V. Try it but I doubt it will work.

All the ebay & Amazon sellers are showing these HYQ 1512V good for 03-07, some even say 98-07. They are wrong IMO.

I had to get Fob HYQ 12BBT for my 07LX (06-07 LC or LX). I found one that was listed as a refurbished, with short uncut key for $50.

1) DTC for inop wireless receive. Found that dome lights were out, along with running broad lights and door open light on dash. As it turns out, all was due to a dome fuse RH J/Box. Replace the fuse and DTC cleared and all lights worked.

2) But still, I could not get new FOB (1512V) to work. So I grab my 06 LC fob and it worked. Pulled it apart and found it to be 12BBT fob.
06-07 is the 12BBT fob
View attachment 2109535

BTW.

So i found this new key ID, should this work? I've bought something similar for my Tundra and i love the style of the flip out and the look, it's much more modern.

s-l1600.jpg

So i found this new key ID, should this work? I've bought something similar for my Tundra and i love the style of the flip out and the look, it's much more modern.

s-l1600.jpg

That seems to be the correct frequency for the remote locks on 06-07 Land Cruisers and LX470s. A lot of the aftermarket keys sold for the LX come with the transponder chip for the LC and will not be recognized by the ecu. They all say they have a 4D-68 chip, but the LX needs a 4D-67 tp29 while the LC uses a 4D-67 tp30.

That seems to be the correct frequency for the remote locks on 06-07 Land Cruisers and LX470s. A lot of the aftermarket keys sold for the LX come with the transponder chip for the LC and will not be recognized by the ecu. They all say they have a 4D-68 chip, but the LX needs a 4D-67 tp29 while the LC uses a 4D-67 tp30.

Ah you're the guy i need to pick a brain, i really want to get the key i linked to work, it looks and feels great in my hands, my coworker has the exact same one for his RX350 so i'm hoping i can make this one work for my LX. You said that the frequency was the correct one, but the transponder might not be recognized? I might just buy it, it's $16 bucks, and hope that ACE hardware can program and cut the key.

After receiving my Ebay keys and using the directions provided by Beto Cruiser, I was still unable to program the ignition immobilizer. Below is a sequence found on TLC FAQ that worked for my 2002 LX. Transponder Key Programming

The system respects up to 5 Master and 3 Valet keys. If the programming sequences dont work for you there may be too many keys programmed. To determine the key type you have do the following:

Locate and Observe the Security light in the center stack of the dash board. The Security light should be blinking. Now insert your key into the ignition, Do Not Turn!, and simultaneously observe the Security light, 3 results are possible:
  1. Security light continues to blink = The key is not recognized
  2. Security light stays on for 2-3 seconds = Valet key
  3. Security light goes off immediately = Master key

When doing any of these operations timing is critical – use a watch if you have no sense of time. :)

Program a New Key (1999-2002):

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
  2. Insert your existing master key into the ignition. Do Not Turn!
  3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
  4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
  5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
  6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
  7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
  8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Program a New Key (2003+):

2. Insert your existing master key into the ignition. Do Not Turn!
  3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
  4. Within 20 seconds open and close the “driver side” door 6 times and remove key.
  5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
  6. Turn the ignition cylinder ON and leave on for two minutes.
  7. Turn ignition cylinder OFF and remove new key
  8. Open and close the “driver side” door 1 time.
  9. After 60 seconds new key is registered and Security light goes off.
  10. Depress and release brake pedal 1 time to terminate programming.
  11. Insert new key and observe security light goes out.
  12. Start you Land Cruiser to confirm operation.

To delete all but one Master key from the ECU (1998-2002):

2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder. Do Not Turn!
  3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 6 times.
  4. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal 7 times.
  5. The Security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
  6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within 10 seconds.

Alternate Method to delete all but one Master Key from ECU (2003+):

1. Insert Master Key and Cycle ignition 6 times (Lock to on then back to lock)
  2. Within 35 seconds open and close Drivers side door 7 (seven) times.
  3. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds.

06-07 is the 12BBT fob
View attachment 2109535

BTW.

Can you post a copy of the FSM programming procedure for the lock/unlock on the new keyfob. I just tried the method above and i couldn't get it to work, not sure if the key is good or not but i did buy one that list as 12BBT

Odd how the exact same cars have different programming instructions

Beto, programming the buttons on the remote worked great. I meant that I was unable to start the truck without going through the immobilizer programming as well. What a pain this turned into.

I had fun doing mine. First wrong fob, then with DTC indicating receive in op., which I ended up needing a dome fuse. If you've tech stream use 1. Without use 2..
017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

This guy does key and then fob at end of video.

Last edited:
Beto, programming the buttons on the remote worked great. I meant that I was unable to start the truck without going through the immobilizer programming as well. What a pain this turned into.
Ah, I see what you mean. I followed the instructions in the FAQ section for that and it worked fine, but I couldn't find instructions for the fob button programming. That's what this thread was intended for. Glad it worked for you!

Okay just to confirm, i have a 2007 LX470, i bought the key off eBay and was able to program the remote to work!

48943539368_92a894b494_b.jpg

This is the link to the eBay ad i bought it off of, i at $17, it's a no brainer, plus the unit itself looks really good and the key part is very sturdy, doesn't wobble or feel weak.

But don't count your chickens yet, i have to go get the key cut and program the immobilizer, any reason why the remote work but the immobilizer would give me issues, or should i assume it'll be able to work?

But don't count your chickens yet, i have to go get the key cut and program the immobilizer, any reason why the remote work but the immobilizer would give me issues, or should i assume it'll be able to work?

A lot of times they come with the incorrect chip and will not be able to be added to your ecu.

A lot of times they come with the incorrect chip and will not be able to be added to your ecu.

What would be the correct chip for my vehicle, how do i find that out? My truck came with an aftermarket key, but looks to be the master copy as i can open glovebox and program my new key with it

What would be the correct chip for my vehicle, how do i find that out? My truck came with an aftermarket key, but looks to be the master copy as i can open glovebox and program my new key with it

4d-67 tp29 . The easiest way to check would be to try to add it to the ecu. It doesn't have to be cut, you only have to insert it into the ignition enough to get past the gate.

I also found this in the glovebox hidden in those service manual books.

48943947093_ce2a7656cd_b.jpg

If i can't get the chip in my new key to disable the immobilizer, can i just glue this plastic piece to the ignition column and just disable it like that? Hope it doesn't come to that but if i have to, i'll use it.

I also found this in the glovebox hidden in those service manual books.

48943947093_ce2a7656cd_b.jpg

If i can't get the chip in my new key to disable the immobilizer, can i just glue this plastic piece to the ignition column and just disable it like that? Hope it doesn't come to that but if i have to, i'll use it.

If you were to open your fob up there is probably a ceramic wedge type key tag in it.

IMG_20191022_173549.jpg

If you can't add your key the way it is let me know, I will send you the proper chip for your Lexus. There is a good chance your key will work as it is though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom