Product Review - Memory-Map Topo SW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Recently, My Garmin M3 Ique was stolen and I researched, selected a Dell and provided a review here, refer to that link for the rationale and review of that equipment. To summarize, I had selected a Dell Axim X51V, Bluetooth GPS and iGuidance on road navigation software, all of which I discussed at length in the linked thread and it all worked perfectly on the 900 mile drive to the Flat Nasty TLCA event and back.

Next, I needed to find the right topo software for off road. I want to be able to follow trails on topo maps and save them so I can return at a later date. I want to be able to see elevation data while I am off-road. After a lot of research, several packages were recommended, but almost everyone agreed that memory-map is the Cadillac of topo packages. After some investigation and reading different reviews, I decided to check them out.
Besides the USA, they also have Maps of Canada, Mexico, Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, France, Europe and South Africa

The memory-map package comes in three variations:
Memory-Map Discoverer (works only with Memory-Map or eTopo brand maps)
Memory-Map Navigator (works with third party maps)
Memory-Map Professional (Shapefile import/export, AIS, tracking and API for customization)

My needs don't require the professional version. The Memory-Map Navigator package is $99.95 and allows you to download 3rd party maps and then you can buy the Memory-Map maps in bundles or by state, and they are not cheap. With the Discoverer product, for $71 (Sale price) I get the software and the Colorado Map. I just can't download 3rd party maps. I can upgrade the license for $49 later on if thats something I want to do. I verified that I could later add the Utah maps and they would work seamless with the Colorado maps. Since I really only need the maps for Colorado and Utah, this was the perfect choice for me.

So I ordered the Colorado Discoverer package and it came within several days. The software and the maps are on 2 DVDs. The higher resolution maps for Colorado are broken into two files about 2.7GB each. There are lower resolution topo maps of Colorado, the USA and the world also loaded on the DVD.

The software loaded easily on the my computer and I was able to play with the full map set at one time. I noticed that there is a lot more capability for use of this software on a home computer or Laptop, then the PocketPC. The software on the pocketPC works fine, but the individual maps are limited to ~400MB. You can have as many maps on your PocketPC device as you want (memory allowing) and the maps will transition seamlessly (per Memory Map) from map to map as you change your location.

There are several maps that come with the DVD; High resolution Colorado Maps, two lower resolution, a lower USA and world map and Colorado satellite images. I focused on the high (1/24,000) resolution maps.
Another of the neat features on the PC or laptop version is you can view the area of interest in 3D map view. The below is an example showing Chinaman's Gulch. This view was captured after I returned showing the track we took.

MemMap_2.jpg

To download a map to the PocketPC, I first used the find feature and entered "chinamans" it took me right to where I wanted to go. I adjusted the map for the widest view for the terrain I wanted. Downloading in this manner will download only what shows on your computer screen. Having a wider view (less Resolution) will not impact the resolution of the maps loaded to your mobile device, only the total area of that map. I then selected the "Mobile Device" pull down menu and sent the visible portion of the map to my Dell.
I contacted the company to see if I could make unique maps that didn't quite fit in one visible display on my screen. I received the following response the next morning:

If you are loading to a Pocket PC, you will be limited to about 400 MB per map. This is due to limitations in the way the Pocket PC processes the image file. To create these areas, use the ROUTE tool to create an enclosed route (start and stop on the same point). Then, right-click and select OPERATIONS > SEND ENCLOSED ROUTE TO MOBILE DEVICE. This will tell you how large the file is prior to sending and will give you the opportunity to give the file a custom name. You can send any number of 400 MB maps and the program will automatically load each as you leave one to enter another. The maps can be any shape.​

I first tested this by downloading a metro Denver (Via the visible screen method above) map and used it on the way home from work one day. It tracked perfectly all the way home. You can not enter an address like the iGuidance SW, that's why you should have both an on road navigation package and a topo package for off road.
On November 11th, my club joined the Toyota Central FJ Cruiser Team for their final run of the year at Chinaman's Gulch near Buena Vista Colorado. The trip report for that event can be found here. This is where I tested the Memory-Map software.

I had it running with my MP3 software in the background. The display in the view below shows the max resolution, the bar shows 0.2M. You can zoom out so a slightly smaller bar shows 5 miles. You need to make sure the map is unlocked so your actual location is always in the center and the map automatically scrolls. Also, you can pick a point on the screen at any time and it will tell you the GPS coordinates and the elevation.

Memory_Map_Dell.jpg

I found the PocketPC software easy to use. It kept up with our location, I was able to easily see our direction and I could zoom out at any time. I could also move the view of the map around to see areas I wanted to go to. I was very easy to use and automatically marked the route we took.
When I came home, I connected the Dell to my Home computer so I could see how the track would show up. Selected import from Mobile device and the track we traveled was transferred to my computer for viewing, printing and sharing. You can go in and edit and add text.

MemMap_1.jpg

I also switched to the satellite view. This view also shows the track. I did not find this view helpful with the sat photos loaded on the disk. I am sure 3rd party photos would be more useful

MemMap_3.jpg

On the whole, I recommend this package. The software is easy to use. The maps are well laid out, have plenty of detail and easy to follow. The 3D view on your computer/laptop is nice, and I can see how that would be helpful in other situations.

Nice write up Ken!!! FYI: I use DeLorme 6.0 and NG TOPO on my tablet PC with similar results. I like them both for different reasons. The NG allows you to go to higher scale all the while showing names of trails, creeks, streams, mountains, etc. The DeLorme is nice for the 3D split screen, wider range of scale and sometimes faster route maker. I understand NG has either released or soon will release their new version with 3D.

I take it that all these topo software packages are all -at best- using the USGS 1/24000 maps, right?

I take it that all these topo software packages are all -at best- using the USGS 1/24000 maps, right?

Correct for NG TOPO. DeLorme lets you zoom down to 945' above ground...I think it is something like 1:100 scale at the highest zoom level.

I have a PC based hand held unit at home that I got for work and never used.

Is this something that I could upload on mine?

What I would like to do is map my property (1100 acres) with all the roads and the boundaries.

Is this something that I could use?

What I would like to do is map my property (1100 acres) with all the roads and the boundaries.

Nolen,
What exacty is your "PC based hand held unit"? What OS does it use? If it is a Windows/Palm PDA type system Delorme and NG have the ability to upload maps into a PDA. Otherwise if it is truly a PC OS then the entire map software can be installed.

I sent a copy of the review to Memory-Map and asked them to comment on any features I might have missed or errors i had:

Ken,

Thank you for the preview. A very nice review, in all. I did notice a couple of places where the Memory-Map name is not capitalized (just a minor point). Also, one feature which you may not be aware of, is the linked file feature. Any mark (or waypoint) you place on the map can have a file linked to it (a picture, an audio file, a website, almost anything). When you double click the mark, the file opens. If you create a recorded message (press the record button on your Pocket PC) while you are tracking your position, the program will create a mark at your position at that time and link the recording to that spot.

The LandSat image (although included in the package) is primarily for large scale reference only, as the detail is poor. You can, however, with the Navigator license, use images downloaded from the USGS Seamless site. Attached is an image of Chinaman's Gulch with a downloaded orthographic image. As you can see, the elevation data in the Discoverer package can be used with any image of the same geographic location. These images are much more detailed than the maps and all of the downloads from the USGS site are free. The only downside is the orthoimages are quite large in comparison to the maps.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Ron Heintzelman

Nolan, I would think so, but I would contact memory map directly. The links to the 3 types of software packages will take you directly to their site

Correct for NG TOPO. DeLorme lets you zoom down to 945' above ground...I think it is something like 1:100 scale at the highest zoom level.

1/100????

are there govt maps out there available for large areas of the country that are in fact at greater resolution than 1/24000?

1/100????

are there govt maps out there available for large areas of the country that are in fact at greater resolution than 1/24000?

As a rule, the USGS only publishes topos at 1:24,000 or greater. They can be used with excellent accuracy at 1:12,000 and good accuracy at 1:6,000. One thing that greatly effects this is the level of topographic relief. I have also encountered 20-100m offsets in topographic bottoms with USGS 1:24,000 topos. Topographic highs are usually spot on. Sometimes this is just a register problem, sometimes due to local topographic relief, changes in landscape (rare), vegetation, and sometimes just human error :whoops: .

Keep in mind that the best accuracy you can really hope for with a handheld/public GPS unit is about 5m or ~16ft. On average it is twice that number. Therefore, using a map at greater than 1:6,000 really starts to get pointless due to the systemic error of the handheld GPS and those of the topo maps , unless it just makes you feel better to map at that scale.

That said, you can get aerial phots and the like (ie DOQ's) that have 1-3m resolution. Pima County Arizona has some 1 ft resolution aerials :eek: . You can also get sat photos that range from 10-30m resolution as well. Using aerials is the way to go if you want to map at >1:6,000 resolution IMHO.

:cheers:
Ross

As a rule, the USGS only publishes topos at 1:24,000 or greater. They can be used with excellent accuracy at 1:12,000 and good accuracy at 1:6,000.

snip

sorry, what doest that mean, used at 6000? blowing up the map is not going to give you any more information. One can make big enlarged copies of a 1/24000 but that's not really helpful except to see the little print better.

For my purposes, I'd be more interested in a map with good trails than in high contour resolution. No such thing I imagine.

I looked carefully at the local usgs 1/24K map and I was not that impressed with the completeness and exactness of the trails listing.

oh, some of you may not know that you can download all the USGS topo maps for free very easily. Not so easy to input them in a GPS, though, I think...

sorry, what doest that mean, used at 6000? blowing up the map is not going to give you any more information. One can make big enlarged copies of a 1/24000 but that's not really helpful except to see the little print better.

That is what I mean. You do this when you 'zoom' in or 'blow' up a 1:24,000 topo. It helps when you have to plot a cluster of points or whatnot. No real use in navigation.

For my purposes, I'd be more interested in a map with good trails than in high contour resolution. No such thing I imagine.

There is some new SRTM data coming out that is allowing for better (higher resolution) DEM's (digital elevation model). Using a commercial software package like ArcGIS from ESRI can create higher resolution topo maps, BUT it is completely reliant on the resolution of the DEM. There better contouring software packages, but either proprietary comany software or even more hideously expensive than the grossly expensive ESRI stuff. As to trails, hit or miss kind of thing. I find all sorts of old mining roads, hiking trails and stuff that are not on any map. Sometimes end up walking many miles only to find I could have save a bunch of time using an old road and sometimes just the opposite :).

I looked carefully at the local usgs 1/24K map and I was not that impressed with the completeness and exactness of the trails listing.
Sometimes it is changes in terrain, sometimes human error. Different editions of maps often have different trails (hiking and roads) shown as some are omitted due to falling out of use. Hiking trails in steep terrain are usually the most often miss-plotted due to constraints of resolution (ie switchbacks).

oh, some of you may not know that you can download all the USGS topo maps for free very easily. Not so easy to input them in a GPS, though, I think...

I have never downloaded maps into a GPS unit, but it is quite easy to register any map for home computer/laptop use. One of the things I dislike about handheld GPS units is the proprietary map formats and what not. You cannot put your own maps on.

Everyone needs to check out a freeware program called USAPhoto maps.

You can get it here: http://jdmcox.com/

Note: USAPhotomaps will not run on a mobile OS.

I have Memory Map as well but find my self using USAPhoto maps. A few of us have commented on USA Photomaps here on Mud in the past so a search should turn up some good info.

Everyone needs to check out a freeware program called USAPhoto maps.

You can get it here: http://jdmcox.com/

Note: USAPhotomaps will not run on a mobile OS.

I have Memory Map as well but find my self using USAPhoto maps. A few of us have commented on USA Photomaps here on Mud in the past so a search should turn up some good info.

that's the one I've been using. Works fine. Some of the maps are a bit jumbled, though (not aligned properly etc)

snip

I have never downloaded maps into a GPS unit, but it is quite easy to register any map for home computer/laptop use. One of the things I dislike about handheld GPS units is the proprietary map formats and what not. You cannot put your own maps on.

so, how do you "register" one of the topo maps into a laptop?

so, how do you "register" one of the topo maps into a laptop?

Different software packages. In Mac OS, I use MacGPS Pro. In a PC, I use ArcGIS (mucho expensive) or OziExplorer (relatively cheap? I forget). I don't use Ozi that much myself. Others with PC's can chime in on some of the other 'over-the-counter' software packages and their abilities.

Essentially all you need is a series of well spaced, located points on the map, photo, whatever. Four is a good minimum. On a USGS topo you can use the lat/long or UTM grid. You can collect GPS readings in the field at easy to identify locations like road intersections, wash crossings, etc.

You also need to be aware of the datum used on any USGS topo or other non-aerial/sat map. Datums are essential mathmatical representations of the earth's surface and have a central location from which they spread. Projected maps (ie USGS 1:24K topos) take a spherical surface and turn it into a flat rectangle (stateplane, UTM, etc). There are different projections that will preserve angles or distances, but not both with accuracy. I forget some of those specifics.

In the Continental US you will find NAD27 and NAD83 (very, very close to WGS84) as the most common. Also you will find that CA has some other mapping irregularities wtr to datums and projections due to its very large N-S orientation. I haven't worked much in CA and can't recall the CA specific datum/projection stuff of the top of my head.

Some packages will 'warp' the map into register (high end packages) using different order polynomial algorithms and others will only register a projected map (those that have a rectangular reference ie UTM) by stretching it to fit the data points. I often find that the laws of diminishing returns comes somewhere after 15-20 points at which point the RMS doesn't improve.

It is important to keep in mind that scanned paper maps can be difficult to register, especially if they have been folded. The get stretched, which throws them out of kink or not aligned well (not plumb so to speak).

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Ross

Different software packages. In Mac OS, I use MacGPS Pro. In a PC, I use ArcGIS (mucho expensive) or OziExplorer (relatively cheap? I forget). I don't use Ozi that much myself. Others with PC's can chime in on some of the other 'over-the-counter' software packages and their abilities.

Essentially all you need is a series of well spaced, located points on the map, photo, whatever. Four is a good minimum. On a USGS topo you can use the lat/long or UTM grid. You can collect GPS readings in the field at easy to identify locations like road intersections, wash crossings, etc.

You also need to be aware of the datum used on any USGS topo or other non-aerial/sat map. Datums are essential mathmatical representations of the earth's surface and have a central location from which they spread. Projected maps (ie USGS 1:24K topos) take a spherical surface and turn it into a flat rectangle (stateplane, UTM, etc). There are different projections that will preserve angles or distances, but not both with accuracy. I forget some of those specifics.

In the Continental US you will find NAD27 and NAD83 (very, very close to WGS84) as the most common. Also you will find that CA has some other mapping irregularities wtr to datums and projections due to its very large N-S orientation. I haven't worked much in CA and can't recall the CA specific datum/projection stuff of the top of my head.

Some packages will 'warp' the map into register (high end packages) using different order polynomial algorithms and others will only register a projected map (those that have a rectangular reference ie UTM) by stretching it to fit the data points. I often find that the laws of diminishing returns comes somewhere after 15-20 points at which point the RMS doesn't improve.

It is important to keep in mind that scanned paper maps can be difficult to register, especially if they have been folded. The get stretched, which throws them out of kink or not aligned well (not plumb so to speak).

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Ross

Great info: Thanks!

The unit I have is a Compaq iPAQ pocket PC H3600 series.

I have two of them the company gave Julie and me and they stopped supporting them so I have this dead piece of equipment that I need to erase the mempry on an upload some GPS stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom