problems with 2f timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my 2f back and have spent the weekend installing it, I installed the dist. the way the manual said, and it fired right up, but I can't get the motor to run for sh*t if I line the pointer up on the "BB." Heck, I haven't even got it over to the BB yet with the timing light because it dies before I get there. It runs good at 2 deg. BTDC should I leave it at that? Any ideas?

Sure you've got the gap set correctly?

If you've got the points gapped right, slightly advance the timing till you get it to run the way you want, then let it sit for about 5 minutes and try and start it, if it bucks, you'll know that it is too advanced and retard it slightly, I mean a RCH at a time till it doesn't buck and still gives you the perf that you want. THEN put the timing light on it and record that.
GL
Ed
P>S> I don't own a timing light, :) nothing against them, but I have an HEI, and all the timing specs go out the window. If it started right up, you're 90% of the way there. Just dick with it till you get it right.

yeah, mos def check the gap. that'll mess your junk up. it did with mine.

when i put in the HEI i couldn't figure out what was wrong, and it took me a long time to figure it out. i felt like an idiot. ha ha.

good luck,
jonathan

I have been battling with a similar problem. Managed to solve my problem this weekend. I do not own a dwell meter, so even though I had adjusted the points to the correct spec, the engine still misfired. I suspected wear on the dizzy shaft, but without a dwell meter this was hard to determine.

I was told of a trick one can do with an ordinary timing light. Set the timimng with the light connected to #1 spark plug, then test the timing with the light on the #6 plug. If there is a difference in the reading, it is a sign of dizzy cam wear. All I did was adjust the point gap till the timing reading did not change between the #1 & #6 plug, and bingo, no more missing. Point gap dropped down to 0.015'. I found it to be very sensative to the point gap, 0.016 caused it to misfire.

That's a cool trick!

As they say in the London Underground: "Mind the Gap"! :D

I went and checked the point gap, no points, it has electronic ign. So I guess I'll leave it where it's at, it starts fine without firing against the starter and it don't ping going down the road. Next question, and I feel like an idiot for having to ask, is it possible to put the head gasket on wrong? and if it is possible how could you tell?

On the points; it only really matters if you have issues. If it starts correct and runs fine go with it.

It is very possible to install the head gasket backwards on a 2F. DOnt ask how I know. Way to check is to run the motor with the valve cover off. You should see oil comming out of the rocker holes after a minute or so.

If the gasket is backwards it will cover up the oiling hole on the rocker stand. You also could have mixed up stands during assembly. An oil pressure check will not tell you if it is on right.

Um, looks like I need to be getting another head gasket and pull the head, dammit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom