Problem with koso temp gauge mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a thought about the comon koso temp guage mod. I have replace my entire violent system a few years ago with all new one parts. The temps are great and I find I use the koso less and less. But it is nice at time to spot check it during long climbs on hot days.

So this winter I found my 4 year old own radiator leaking. I always run fresh proper mixed coolant. So I bit the bullet and swapped in a new oem radior. All is good now.

But I started thinking. I have the koso temp guage installed in the coolant line to the radiator the same way a lot of you guys do using a aftermarket aluminum threaded section spliced into the upper radiator hose. It has never leaked a bit.

But was thinking that it could make the hose not flex and a lot stiffer and put more twisting force into the radiator. Maybe this led to the premature adiator falure? Just a thought and something for you guys using this mod to consider. I have a new oem hose and will probably swap it in and ditch the koso. I lile having it but knock on wood my temps have been pretty boring since rehabing the coolant system.

Its critical to lube your upper radiator hose with radiator hose conditioner every year on these old rigs, especially if you have the koso temp gauge mod done.

I dunno. Have had the koso and whatever that adapter is done for years, no leaks, no new radiator. Just was careful with the cutting of the tube and clamps.

Maybe i need to adjust the fitment some. It might be more important than I thought when I first installed it.

Its critical to lube your upper radiator hose with radiator hose conditioner every year on these old rigs
I only use radiator hose shampoo. I guess I've been doing it wrong.

I’ve had the same aluminum sleeve on my upper rad hose for a while with no problems. If I remember, I made sure I cut precisely to match the same length and get the bend just like an uncut hose. I also didn’t use a constant torque breeze clamp on the plastic OEM rad intake, I reused the Toyota one. I felt like I could accidentally put too much clamping force on the original plastic with the breeze clamp. What clamp fitting was on the rad upper inlet?

I only use radiator hose shampoo. I guess I've been doing it wrong.

You should only be using the KY water soluble type!

You guys really need to lube your hoses ok.

Only problem with mine is that I didn't tighten the clamps down enough the first time around :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom