prime rib dry rubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

10 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Massage the paste generously over the entire roast. Use FRESH horseradish root. I have smoked just about everything, but I have never smoked a prime rib. I use this recipe for the oven, but would imagine it would be killer on a smoker too.

Anyone want to share a kick as dry rub. I plan on smoking a prime rib for new years eve dinner. YUP I love my SMOKER.

My go to rub.. This is a full recipe I mix up and keep in a ziploc. I'd think if you quartered the recipe would be perfect for one prime rib. We like ours rare-medium rare. So once the center hits 120F Pull it off, wrap in foil and then in a towel and throw it in a cooler to rest. If you need to warm it up, oven at 325F for 15 min covered.

We use fresh grated and/or HOT prepared horseradish.

1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp dry mustard
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Jason

10 garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 cup grated fresh horseradish
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Massage the paste generously over the entire roast. Use FRESH horseradish root. I have smoked just about everything, but I have never smoked a prime rib. I use this recipe for the oven, but would imagine it would be killer on a smoker too.
A smoked prme rib is something to die for. It stays red in the middle but not bloody if it is done right. The only thing is the fat cap does not get crispy because of the low heat. I may add a wrap of bacon to it for extra flavor. LOL

Done them in the oven for my parents and their friends. I ususally just wing it with S&P, EVOO and some garlic slivers (which I'm not a fan of but my parents are). I pull it out when at 120-125 in the center, depending on what doneness the majority wants, and rest it for 30-60 minutes.

I'd love to smoke one but the only large group I cook for at home is the wife's family and they only eat meat that's cooked well done, so I never feed them red meat anymore outside of pot roast. We did it once for them back in 2003. They lined up at the microwave and nuked each slice, telling us not to worry about having messed it up by undercooking since we didn't really know what we were doing! "Steak is great because you can't overcook it" is a phrase I've heard more than once from them.

Done them in the oven for my parents and their friends. I ususally just wing it with S&P, EVOO and some garlic slivers (which I'm not a fan of but my parents are). I pull it out when at 120-125 in the center, depending on what doneness the majority wants, and rest it for 30-60 minutes.

I'd love to smoke one but the only large group I cook for at home is the wife's family and they only eat meat that's cooked well done, so I never feed them red meat anymore outside of pot roast. We did it once for them back in 2003. They lined up at the microwave and nuked each slice, telling us not to worry about having messed it up by undercooking since we didn't really know what we were doing! "Steak is great because you can't overcook it" is a phrase I've heard more than once from them.

I get a small two bone one. It is just my girl and four dogs.

Haven't done a roast but my go to for steak is fresh rosemary and lemon pepper.

There's a microbrewery in Flag that does prime rib with rock salt and cracked pepper. Worth the two hour drive IMO.

Haven't done a roast but my go to for steak is fresh rosemary and lemon pepper.

There's a microbrewery in Flag that does prime rib with rock salt and cracked pepper. Worth the two hour drive IMO.

We used to cook for 1500 people for a harvest festival in Nebraska. We used a basic salt and pepper rub on top rounds. 1000# of meat, 200# of sweet beans and slaw =1500 happy folks.

I still do this occasionally on tri-tips.

J

They lined up at the microwave and nuked each slice, telling us not to worry about having messed it up by undercooking since we didn't really know what we were doing! "Steak is great because you can't overcook it" is a phrase I've heard more than once from them.
Gasp...... :censor:

Medium rare is already too far done.... :(

From the responces and tonight it gets rubbed down here is my version

In food processer

Horse radish and/or hatch green chili.
Sea salt
Garlic
Black pepper
Fresh lime juice
Add enough yoghurt to make a sticky paste.. yoghurt really tenderizes meat i use it for chicken and ribs.
Wipe rub off of meat and cover in salt and pepper for a nice sallty crust

Smoke over hickory cherry blend for about three hours... maybe longer depending on temp of meat.. must be bloody as hell.. there are not a fat cap on this piece so i will top it with some slabs of bacon...

Sweet potatoes and sauted mushrooms f@ck anything green .. Unless it is a lime in a margarita

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom