Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, or Grand Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 4 day weekend coming up from the 11-14 and am looking to do a trip over into Arizona. Does anyone have any suggestions for certain areas and trails? Are there trails similar to the Mojave Road or the Saline Valley Road? I would like to stay off road as much as possible but also see some cool sights, maybe a short hike, and dispersed camping.

Hard choice, they're all beautiful! In addition to the resources Chris mentioned, I find the "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails", by Charles A. Wells to be very helpful. There are several fun trails in the Sedona area, and some dispersed camping not too far from town. And, of course, Flagstaff is very close to Coconino National Forest, with lots of opportunities there. As for the Grand Canyon, they don't call it "Grand" for nothing!

A few years ago, Robin and I very much enjoyed a trip south on the Senator Highway from Prescott almost all the way down to Lake Pleasant, and then west to Wickenburg. It was off-road almost the entire way. We went from higher elevation pine forest down to the desert and through a Saguaro cactus forest. There was lots of opportunity for dispersed camping. Of the four possibilities that you've mentioned, that may be the most similar to the Mojave or Saline Valley Roads.

The area from Fredonia south to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon may also offer some similar mild off-road and dispersed camping opportunities in the Kaibab National Forest. I'm very jealous, but I hope you have a great time!

Ended up having to cancel this trip. Was doing an inspection on the front end and noticed a torn inner tie rod bellows. Part will be in today.
20211106_093803.jpeg

I love Sedona and the surrounding area. Was out there last Thanksgiving. If you ever do get a chance, you need to go. I love it because my wife doesn't mind a morning trip or an afternoon trip and then going back to a real house with all that comes with it.
20112 Sedona-183.jpg

Ended up having to cancel this trip. Was doing an inspection on the front end and noticed a torn inner tie rod bellows. Part will be in today. View attachment 2836994
That was smart of you to check before heading off on your trip. Too few of us (myself included!) do that often enough!

That was smart of you to check before heading off on your trip. Too few of us (myself included!) do that often enough!
Did not want to be driving 500 miles on the highway then 150 miles off road with this thing all torn up.
20211112_071029.jpeg

Whats everyones favorite trails out in Sedona area? Is broken arrow's popularity overblown?
I really like Broken Arrow. The scenery is beautiful, and there are some fun challenges on the trail. One of my other favorites is Soldier Pass. Have fun!

Broken Arrow is awesome. Greasy Spoon has some nice little hill climbs/descents. Cliff Hanger has a fun little hill too.

Definitely recommend the Great Western Trail. Did the portion from Prescott to the Grand Canyon in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom